Tecumseh TC300 2HP 2-stroke: How should I use it?

Tanshanomi

I've picked up a little NOS Tecumseh two-stroke off Ebay for $80, shipped. The TC Series, being 2-cycle, could be run in any orientation, but the version I bought is fortunately already set up as a horizontal shaft. It's only 2 horsepower, but for the price I thought it would be fun to play with.

So, what sort of little ride-y around-y thing should I build with it? Some possibilities I've been thinking about—
  • Frijole-style minibike

• Motorize a pedal bicycle

• Super-minimalist minibike
    images.jpg
  • A custom-framed stand-up scooter
    maxresdefault.jpg
    (Something like this but gas powered, not electric)

• Get really ambitious and make a 7/8 scale replica of a "straight frame" Cotton
    Cotton-1922-348cc-Oly-p854.jpg
Have any of you built a minibike with such a meager engine? The only thing I've found is this video, which looks fun but quite pointless.

Minimichael

I understand a 2-stroke is stronger than 4 cycle and think the frijole would be worth a try... (Especially since I have the same parts here and I was kinda hoping you would build yours first ... ;)

DaddyJohn

I understand a 2-stroke is stronger than 4 cycle and think the frijole would be worth a try... (Especially since I have the same parts here and I was kinda hoping you would build yours first ... ;)
I’m not sure that a 2-stroke Tecumseh is stronger than a 4-stroke Tecumseh in any measurable way.

Mr. Pink

This is MY understanding, please feel free to correct me with supporting documentation.

It’s not possible to to make a valid comparison of a two stroke to a four stroke of comparable displacement, due to each type of engine having unique characteristics.
It’s like comparing apples to oranges.

In general:
A four stroke produces the most torque at lower RPM’s.
While a two stroke produces the most torque at higher RPM’s.

Minimichael

So a stand up scooter could use a little kick to get going and then the fun begins when the higher torque kicks in, huh? I vote scooter then if the 2hp would lack too much initial giddyup. 1675894534736.png

Tanshanomi

I think I've found some inspiration. I want to use the TC300 to make a VanTech "-ish" scrambler that will be legal under street moped rules — 50cc/2-HP max, no manual gear shifting.

Van-Tech-McCulloch-01.jpg Van-Tech-McCulloch-02.jpg Van-Tech-McCulloch-03.jpg