Current Resto project

LIVIT

Just started this restoration. Have done some research and cannot find one exactly like it. It has F&R mechanical disc brakes, electric start, turn signals, high/low beams, brake light, tach, speedometer, temp and voltage gauges. I think it's a 2 stroke around 50cc. I've looked for Easy rider mini's and found some close, but not with all the extras this one has. It appears to be all original. Would really like to know more about it. Will get better pictures if needed. Thanks !!!

Attachments

These China-made bikes are referred to as "The Turd". You will get no love for them on this forum. Did you actually pay money for that thing? Ditch that bike and get yourself a real minibike to restore...

LIVIT

I did not buy it, I'm restoring it for a customer. I seriously doubt that very few new components are non Chinese made ! I'm not into all the purist or elitist stuff. I happen to own a Chinese mini, that I like a lot. What new mini can you buy that does not have Chinese components ? Personally don't see it being a "Turd" and think for it's age, that it's kinda cool. I got it running today and it was fun to ride. I wish it was mine, I would like to have it too cruise around events on. Is not having fun, regardless of who or where the mini was made, what they're suppose to be about !! Also if someone has a Chinese mini they want to "Give away" contact me please.

Each to their own opinions, likes or dislikes. That was not the point of this post. I was wondering if anyone knew who made it.

LIVIT

I've seen minibikes with a headlight before, but I've never seen a headlight with a minibike:). I think it falls into the " so ugly it's cute" category .
Hahaha, I thought about the same thing. Not sure if the headlight is stock or not. The owner is big into Harleys and owns a Fab biz so I'm wondering if he at some point put a HD headlight on it. I agree it has that cute novelty look too it. For it being at least 15 years old and having set in the corner of a shop for like 12 years or so.. I'm surprised at the condition and how well it runs.

LIVIT

I agree. That's it, only differences I see. The one I'm working on has a different instrument cluster. Turn signals, brake lights , horn and mirrors. They must of had different versions for sure. Did you find a name ?

DaddyJohn

You’ll find plenty of members here who appreciate Chinese minis (Doodlebugs, Colemans, Monster/Mega Motos, Bajas, etc.), but won’t find much love for the little 2-stroke weed-whacker engined choppers with the decorative plastic “engine”. Not saying they can’t have value to people, but most of the Chinese bike enthusiasts here like to modify, enhance performance, etc, and there isn’t much to be done with those. Plus, their aesthetics and apparent lack of quality don’t do them any favors. :confused: That said, do enjoy, and don’t let anyone say you should do otherwise. Just trying to give a little background.

Lizardking

You’ll find plenty of members here who appreciate Chinese minis (Doodlebugs, Colemans, Monster/Mega Motos, Bajas, etc.), but won’t find much love for the little 2-stroke weed-whacker engined choppers with the decorative plastic “engine”. Not saying they can’t have value to people, but most of the Chinese bike enthusiasts here like to modify, enhance performance, etc, and there isn’t much to be done with those. Plus, their aesthetics and apparent lack of quality don’t do them any favors. :confused: That said, do enjoy, and don’t let anyone say you should do otherwise. Just trying to give a little background.
Well said!

LIVIT

I hear ya brother. Yeah it for sure is not something that I would want for doing upgrades. It's a truly novelty item and your right, it's got a very serious lack of quality. All that being said, the customer just wanted me to clean it up, get lights and all working, just happened the engine runs too. He is going too hang it up in his shop over all his Harleys. I'm wiring up a convertor so he can hit switch and all the lights on it come on. So it's going to just be a novelty display thing now. I had just asked what it was, because I had never seen one before. I do have the tendency too stand my ground and go my way :) I appreciate your input my friend !

Just to clarify....
My comment and opinion did not apply to ALL "China-Made Bikes"- it applied to the particular bike/brand/style that the OP posted photos of., and I still stand by those comments. For the record, I've owned 2 (also China-Made) Doodlebug DB30s which I restored and performance upgraded. They are a different bike quality-wise altogether.
Michael

LIVIT

Just to clarify....
My comment and opinion did not apply to ALL "China-Made Bikes"- it applied to the particular bike/brand/style that the OP posted photos of., and I still stand by those comments. For the record, I've owned 2 (also China-Made) Doodlebug DB30s which I restored and performance upgraded. They are a different bike quality-wise altogether.
Michael
The way your post read to me , it seemed you thought all Chinese bikes were "Turds" With me still finding my way with minis, maybe if you had explained that those type of bikes were not anything I should spend monies on. I would of interpreted differently. Regardless, I respect your knowledge and appreciate the help I get from you and others on this great forum. Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving brother !

We have an APC Chopper in the fleet. The twin rear tire version. We stripped all the plastic off and painted in a candy cane theme. We ran it Thursday in the Detroit parade and maybe yesterday in the Grosse Point parade. The kids love a Clown Fireman on it. We’ve had it for years and years.
I get parts from sdscooters. Have had great success from them.
And yes, it is the poorest made bike ever.
Our Mig and a lot of fabrication fixed that issue.
Replacement engine/greabox’s are available but apparently quality control is unknown to the manufacturers.

LIVIT

We have an APC Chopper in the fleet. The twin rear tire version. We stripped all the plastic off and painted in a candy cane theme. We ran it Thursday in the Detroit parade and maybe yesterday in the Grosse Point parade. The kids love a Clown Fireman on it. We’ve had it for years and years.
I get parts from sdscooters. Have had great success from them.
And yes, it is the poorest made bike ever.
Our Mig and a lot of fabrication fixed that issue.
Replacement engine/greabox’s are available but apparently quality control is unknown to the manufacturers.
Thanks, now I got a clue who it's made by. I can see it being good for a novelty item, with fabrication like y'all have done. Man the plastics on this one are very brittle. I'm having to be careful not too break them any further while cleaning it up for display.