390 carb on 212 hemi predator seems to be working, or is it?

Man, you’re a wealth of information, I really do appreciate all the help.
I got the driven pulley spring changed. (I really need to buy a pair of snap-ring pliers…) and I got almost 5 more mph and 300 more rpm out of it, 49mph/4300rpm. It’s a lot less jumpy and squirrelly down low too now.
Now for gearing and heads!

Gps app screenshot: it shows 49.8mph top speed but my handheld GPS showed 48.9mph.
! 85853CEF-30D9-4C05-8738-EC657018C368.jpeg

Last edited:
Man, you’re a wealth of information, I really do appreciate all the help.
I got the driven pulley spring changed. (I really need to buy a pair of snap-ring pliers…) and I got almost 5 more mph and 300 more rpm out of it, 49mph/4300rpm. It’s a lot less jumpy and squirrelly down low too now.
Now for gearing and heads!
AWESOME!!!!!!!
Jus wait til you see what them driver springs are gonna do, you jus barely tickling that cam now.
If you wanna play with them heavy weights, for now jus buy 2 white springs. They should put you at 3100 rpm stall. 1 plain spring and 1 white will be around 2600-2700, that's not enough for that cam. It's gonna want 3000+.
that head swap and bump in CR is gonna wake that cam up, and that monstrous carb you got, lol.
I'm check on those springs, I'm sure 3100 is white, brb

SAS289

The 6" driven has overdrive when it gets to the high end (belt drops all the way down on driven) its .9:1. So that leaves you with a final drive of 4.5:1 gearing. Even though you have 10/50 sprockets (5:1) that overdrive is killing power on the high side.
I don't care for the 6"drivens, myself, but helped others get em tuned to their set up.
1st thing is get 3000+ rpm springs in the driver.
Put a 9 tooth sprocket on the jackshaft, that'll get your 5:1 gear back, and make your power to weight ratio alot better on the high side.
I assume you have the stock red driven spring, in the middle hole????
If so, move it to the most resistant hole. If holes are at 12 o'clock, the most resistant hole is furthest on the left. This will let it hold a tad bit longer on the low side, allowing the engine to build rpm, before shifting starts happening. That cm cam pulls hard with 3000+ rpm stall in the driver. It can't make power until it's up on rpm.
When I read the OP's post the first thing that came to mind was gearing. This is fairly common in this forum over the years.

In my opinion when the torque converter is ordered, order a 60 tooth to go with it if you are interested in performance and have no plans for a Juggernaut or Tork-zilla driver. After you find out and experience the early belt shift order a yellow driven spring and get it into the tightest hole.

Low 4K RPM with a cam is really not using the cam. The power is just starting and it's already topped out. With the 60 tooth there may be 500 more RPM to use. More of the 4K RPM range is usable.

Agree about the hemi head. I would lose it in the garage somewhere and get the 196 head in action.

I see he mentioned 49MPH at 4300 RPM. That's already pretty good. What would happen with 5K RPM after a gearing change? Around 4200 RPM is where the belt shifts at full throttle on my 196 bike with 8/50 gearing and the red spring in the tightest hole. My 224 bike has shifted as late as 4690 RPM with 9/60 gearing and a yellow spring. The 224 powers right through the belt shift and tops out at 5590 RPM on the road. Both drivers are stock and engage around 2700 RPM.

When I read the OP's post the first thing that came to mind was gearing. This is fairly common in this forum over the years.

In my opinion when the torque converter is ordered, order a 60 tooth to go with it if you are interested in performance and have no plans for a Juggernaut or Tork-zilla driver. After you find out and experience the early belt shift order a yellow driven spring and get it into the tightest hole.

Low 4K RPM with a cam is really not using the cam. The power is just starting and it's already topped out. With the 60 tooth there may be 500 more RPM to use. More of the 4K RPM range is usable.

Agree about the hemi head. I would lose it in the garage somewhere and get the 196 head in action.

I see he mentioned 49MPH at 4300 RPM. That's already pretty good. What would happen with 5K RPM after a gearing change? Around 4200 RPM is where the belt shifts at full throttle on my 196 bike with 8/50 gearing and the red spring in the tightest hole. My 224 bike has shifted as late as 4690 RPM with 9/60 gearing and a yellow spring. The 224 powers right through the belt shift and tops out at 5590 RPM on the road. Both drivers are stock and engage around 2700 RPM.
I've noticed we agree on alot of things here, lol.
I'm really glad to help the guy out. But, it is easier to help somebody when they wanna learn and fix things for themselves. And not worry about the hottest next part on the you tube. I got the feelin he'll be turning wrenches on these lil turd motors for a very long time. Won't be long and he'll being killing bigger cc engines with those Ole junk 196's. It jus takes simple math, lil learning, and a whole bunch of failing, lol.
Jus a small adjustment he made didn't cost a dime. That's a very nice improvement, imo. Most people would throw money at it and go backwards.
My experience with TAV's, is the least lil difference in anything and it will need to be tuned again, tire size, rider weight, gears, any kind of upgrades or mods to the engine.
My 223 goes into high, with me at 200#, around 4700-4800 and rpm goes back up, im usually out of it before it hits 5500. My buddy at 150#, it shifts into high around 5000 and hes ran it out to 5900. I run the red spring in tightest hole, 7" driven, 4.6:1 gear, 20" tire. That rpm going back up part, is the hardest to get right. I try to tune the tav to shift into high in the engine power band, mostly using gearing and stall. Too low and it jus peter's out. Most people are happy with that and don't realize how far they are away from the power band, thinking the motor is a dud so let's put a bigger cam or carb, or whatever they seen on the you tube. Lol, and now things jus go backward.
I also ran the yellow driven spring with smaller under powered engines. But the bigger engines bring in the torq so much quicker, I switched back to the red. I'd much rather build an engine for low rpm torq. Its much easier, cheaper and a hellva alot fun coming out of turns on the back wheel with an ole turd motor mini bike. Them you tubers can keep those big dog, high hp, garage queens thats not really good for anything except selling over rated, unnecessary parts.

I’ve been at this for a little over a year now and this is really my first time posting in a forum asking for advice. I've been trying to do my research instead of trying to get people to hold my hand and teach me things that can be found with some digging. I know exactly how it is to constantly answer the same questions over and over on forums from newbies who don’t know how to use google.

I feel like an idiot for not recognize the gearing issue myself. I swear I've spent many hours creating and analyzing numerous excel spreadsheets for various setups (I have a go kart too) trying to figure out the best combination/ratio; but then I come in here asking for help with a gear ratio that would put me doing over 80mph at 7k rpm. I really am sorry about that!
Really, I’m not going for a land speed record, the 50’s is plenty for me (for now haha), I’m really just wanting to hear one of these cheap $100 harbor freight engines scream at 7000 rpm. That s**t fascinates and excites me!

So I went and looked at my spare engines tonight and realized I missed one, I actually have a 3rd 196 clone that I forgot about. It’s an old harbor freight central machinery 196cc (model 96549, from before predator became a thing). It’s really the engine that started all this. It was on the old go kart that my FiL brought me a year and a half ago. It had been sitting out in the elements for 5-10 years, was missing the carb, and shot chocolate milk out the crankcase vent when I pulled the rope the first time. A week later I had it running.

I'm really glad to help the guy out. But, it is easier to help somebody when they wanna learn and fix things for themselves. And not worry about the hottest next part on the you tube. I got the feelin he'll be turning wrenches on these lil turd motors for a very long time. Won't be long and he'll being killing bigger cc engines with those Ole junk 196's. It jus takes simple math, lil learning, and a whole bunch of failing, lol.
Jus a small adjustment he made didn't cost a dime. That's a very nice improvement, imo. Most people would throw money at it and go backwards.
My experience with TAV's, is the least lil difference in anything and it will need to be tuned again, tire size, rider weight, gears, any kind of upgrades or mods to the engine.
My 223 goes into high, with me at 200#, around 4700-4800 and rpm goes back up, im usually out of it before it hits 5500. My buddy at 150#, it shifts into high around 5000 and hes ran it out to 5900. I run the red spring in tightest hole, 7" driven, 4.6:1 gear, 20" tire. That rpm going back up part, is the hardest to get right. I try to tune the tav to shift into high in the engine power band, mostly using gearing and stall. Too low and it jus peter's out. Most people are happy with that and don't realize how far they are away from the power band, thinking the motor is a dud so let's put a bigger cam or carb, or whatever they seen on the you tube. Lol, and now things jus go backward.
I also ran the yellow driven spring with smaller under powered engines. But the bigger engines bring in the torq so much quicker, I switched back to the red. I'd much rather build an engine for low rpm torq. Its much easier, cheaper and a hellva alot fun coming out of turns on the back wheel with an ole turd motor mini bike. Them you tubers can keep those big dog, high hp, garage queens thats not really good for anything except selling over rated, unnecessary parts.
Man I’ve loved anything with an engine and have been wanting to do stuff like this for as long as I can remember. Just never had anyone to show me or the means to get into it. Now I have the means, and a son to teach and share the fun with like I’ve always dreamed of, so I’ve become a bit obsessed. And I’ve always been all about taking something mediocre and using a little (or lot) of ingenuity to make it into something spectacular, so all of this cheap engine building is right up my alley. A while back my stepson told me “most people would have to spend a ton of money to have a go kart this bad, but since you know how to do stuff we can have one for not much money at all.” That was a proud dad moment

SAS289

You're in the sweet spot with the 7" driven. Nice.

Alright I’ve got the white driver springs and 9 tooth sprocket ordered. Y’all have me excited to see how the springs change it.
I didn’t mess with the 12/70 sprockets last night because the 70t needs to be drilled to fit the mb hub (it came off my go kart) and I didn’t feel like messing with all that right then.
This evening I’ll pull the heads on the 196s and see what I have. Thankfully I always order multiple gaskets so I already have a brand new .010 head gasket ready to go.

This is the fun and addictive part: learning about new things and trying them out.

Alright I’ve got the white driver springs and 9 tooth sprocket ordered. Y’all have me excited to see how the springs change it.
I didn’t mess with the 12/70 sprockets last night because the 70t needs to be drilled to fit the mb hub (it came off my go kart) and I didn’t feel like messing with all that right then.
This evening I’ll pull the heads on the 196s and see what I have. Thankfully I always order multiple gaskets so I already have a brand new .010 head gasket ready to go.

This is the fun and addictive part: learning about new things and trying them out.
You might be jus right with the 9/50t. Depends if you have hilly terrain. I live in east tn. We have more hills going up then we do going down, lol.
Yea, those springs are where the fun starts. Even low cr stock goved engines like 2500-2800 rpm stall. It jus raises rpm up a lil, putting more torq to the tire. With your tav and gear ratio (torq multipliers), you could easily be hitting that back tire with 150+ ft/lbs torq on the launch. That'll put a big smile on your face, and probly a stain in shorts, but it sure is fun.
I try to keep different thickness head gasket in stock (68&70 mm). The piston to deck height is never the same. You wanna try to keep piston to head clearance around .030" (with gasket thickest added in) to stay on the safe side. These cranks and blocks will flex at higher rpm. I put a ARC billet side cover on my 223, I don't know if it helps with flex or not, but I feel safer, things are staying in place. Especially with that 58mm crank, there's not a bunch of room for flex down there.
When you start getting up in the 5k+ rpm range, you gonna need to vent the crankcase better then stock. All that excess pressure under the piston, is a power robbing sob. I use 2) 1/2" one way check valves. But that's for another day.
Crankshaft and camshaft end play, is a common problem on these turd motors. We can go into that another day, if you are interested.
I hope that 390 carb works for you, I'm curious now. Never even thought about that.
Let us know what those heads turn out to be.

You might be jus right with the 9/50t. Depends if you have hilly terrain. I live in east tn. We have more hills going up then we do going down, lol.
Yea, those springs are where the fun starts. Even low cr stock goved engines like 2500-2800 rpm stall. It jus raises rpm up a lil, putting more torq to the tire. With your tav and gear ratio (torq multipliers), you could easily be hitting that back tire with 150+ ft/lbs torq on the launch. That'll put a big smile on your face, and probly a stain in shorts, but it sure is fun.
I try to keep different thickness head gasket in stock (68&70 mm). The piston to deck height is never the same. You wanna try to keep piston to head clearance around .030" (with gasket thickest added in) to stay on the safe side. These cranks and blocks will flex at higher rpm. I put a ARC billet side cover on my 223, I don't know if it helps with flex or not, but I feel safer, things are staying in place. Especially with that 58mm crank, there's not a bunch of room for flex down there.
When you start getting up in the 5k+ rpm range, you gonna need to vent the crankcase better then stock. All that excess pressure under the piston, is a power robbing sob. I use 2) 1/2" one way check valves. But that's for another day.
Crankshaft and camshaft end play, is a common problem on these turd motors. We can go into that another day, if you are interested.
I hope that 390 carb works for you, I'm curious now. Never even thought about that.
Let us know what those heads turn out to be.
Hey sorry for going awol, this last week has been hectic but I was able to mess with the engine and bike some.
I’m in the swamps of Louisiana so it’s flat as can be, I can maybe count on one hand the number of “hills” around here that are more than 10’ tall.
I got the white driver springs in and installed, but I haven’t been able to really get on it yet to be able to really tell a difference. I ended up swapping a 196 head onto the engine, but I’m not positive what cc it is. I tried just eyeballing doing a volume test with water and a syringe, but realized that’s a total crapshoot. I have since scavenged a piece of plexiglass to be able to do real measurements but haven’t been able to yet.
I checked the deck height and it was right on .020”. The stock gasket was the thick one and I went back with a .010” gasket, so I at least gained some compression from that.
The main issue that I had once I got everything back together was the carb wasn't running good like it was before I changed the head. I’m not sure if it’s an air leak where it bolts to the head or just the dynamics of the different head and compression, or something else. I haven’t attempted to adjust it yet.
Another thing was I put the #35 12t & 70t sprockets on while waiting for the 9t #40 to come in, and it snapped in less than a mile. I’m about to throw all of the #35 stuff I have away. I’m not sure if I bought cheap chain or if it’s just that weak but I was constantly breaking it on the go kart and now see that it doesn’t work at all on the bike.

We don't use #35 chain around here. Gravel gets in-between chain and sprockets, bends or breaks the chain. I use #41 and never had a problem, jus some stretch a few times.
I've noticed on some blocks when using thin shim head gaskets, they don't seal very well. The bolts seem too long or the threads in block seem too short. I started using washers between the headbolt heads and the head, and solved that problem. A leaking head gasket will have less vacuum pulling air/fuel mix into the combustion chamber. It'll make a carb act funky.
With your piston head combo, you should see around 10.2:1CR with a 20cc head, and around 11.1:1 with the 18cc head. I wouldn't be afraid to run 11.1 with that cam. If it's hard to start, jus back off ignition timing 2 degees at a time and watch cylinder head temp. Not enough of timing will cause over heating with higher CR. I think you will be fine, that cam closes intake valve fairly late, so the the more cr the better.
I started out using cc syringes, lol. I've since got a burett i measure heads and pistons with. I like to KNOW what cr I'm running, not some wild #'s picked outta the air.
Good luck, I'm hoping that carb works out for you.
Did you lap those valves to seats.???? Leaking valves/seats will cause vacuum/pressure leaks. Intake valve seal also.

Well I was able to figure out what the culprit was, I had left the spark plugs in the heads when I swapped them and apparently the stock plug from the hisun didn’t like the heat. I’d get about 1/2 mile down the road and it’d start sputtering like it was starved for fuel. I brought a wrench with me on a ride and pulled the carb bowl plug when it started doing it thinking maybe it wasn’t filling fast enough, but it had plenty of flow. Something told me to try the spark plug from the hemi head and sure enough it went back to running normal.

Got up to just over 53 mph and somewhere over 4700rpm (I think, my tach seems to be acting up and I haven’t had a chance to put a different one on it to check it.) The thing is a beast out the hole and so much easier to ride at low speeds now with the new driver springs and driven spring adjustment.

I measured the 196 head and it appears to be only 20cc.
I’ll have to check out the head bolts that never occurred to me. I’ve thought about trying running with no gasket at all if I had the deck clearance. I work in a chemical plant and we have super high temp and pressure flange sealing compound that should work perfect on an engine.

How do you personally check your cylinder head temps? I recall Jody from ARC talking about it in one of his videos but I can’t remember what exactly he said other than that you can look at the spark plug and make sure that it’s not running too lean.

I have not lapped the valves yet, I still need to do some research on how exactly to go about it. I did look at them and they all had thin, even width lines where they were seating, if that’s a good indication.

Earlier you talked about crankcase venting… are check valves absolutely necessary? I’m guessing they’re used to keep the engine from sucking in dust/trash, and if that’s the case why not put some sort of filter on it or locate it where it’ll get only clean air?

I do have a question about intakes/air filters now… I played around again with air filter vs no filter, and this time the engine ran mostly fine with no filter, just a little stutter if you try to crank the throttle wide open when taking off. Now my question: assuming that you don’t need to worry about filtering the air, in general is it not best to run with a wide open intake so that you have as little restriction as possible? If so, what about velocity stacks, how necessary/beneficial are they?

Awesome!!!!
Those engagement springs makes a lil engine think it's a big-un, lol.
Well since you have started the thread, you have gained 8mph and 500 rpm, on the high side of the converter. Extremely good for the lil bit of $ you invested in the springs and bump in CR. Most (around here, anyways) spend $200-$300 and cant even see that kinda gain, not even close.
I'm gonna be in and out today. So I'll try to answer all I can.
Lapping valves, is something I do on every head before install. It's jus 1 less thing I don't have to worry about when something dont seem right while testing, tuning, or breaking 1 in on the stand.
I'm sure some others can jump in and help you out, if they get a chance.

Well I was able to figure out what the culprit was, I had left the spark plugs in the heads when I swapped them and apparently the stock plug from the hisun didn’t like the heat. I’d get about 1/2 mile down the road and it’d start sputtering like it was starved for fuel. I brought a wrench with me on a ride and pulled the carb bowl plug when it started doing it thinking maybe it wasn’t filling fast enough, but it had plenty of flow. Something told me to try the spark plug from the hemi head and sure enough it went back to running normal.

Got up to just over 53 mph and somewhere over 4700rpm (I think, my tach seems to be acting up and I haven’t had a chance to put a different one on it to check it.) The thing is a beast out the hole and so much easier to ride at low speeds now with the new driver springs and driven spring adjustment.

I measured the 196 head and it appears to be only 20cc.
I’ll have to check out the head bolts that never occurred to me. I’ve thought about trying running with no gasket at all if I had the deck clearance. I work in a chemical plant and we have super high temp and pressure flange sealing compound that should work perfect on an engine.

How do you personally check your cylinder head temps? I recall Jody from ARC talking about it in one of his videos but I can’t remember what exactly he said other than that you can look at the spark plug and make sure that it’s not running too lean.

I have not lapped the valves yet, I still need to do some research on how exactly to go about it. I did look at them and they all had thin, even width lines where they were seating, if that’s a good indication.

Earlier you talked about crankcase venting… are check valves absolutely necessary? I’m guessing they’re used to keep the engine from sucking in dust/trash, and if that’s the case why not put some sort of filter on it or locate it where it’ll get only clean air?

I do have a question about intakes/air filters now… I played around again with air filter vs no filter, and this time the engine ran mostly fine with no filter, just a little stutter if you try to crank the throttle wide open when taking off. Now my question: assuming that you don’t need to worry about filtering the air, in general is it not best to run with a wide open intake so that you have as little restriction as possible? If so, what about velocity stacks, how necessary/beneficial are they?
OK I'm bak for a bit.
Crankcase venting. Are 1 way check valves necessary????? YES...absolutely, positively, dam right bro, hell yea man, make your sticker peck up dude!!!!!
I 1st need to give a big shout out to @ole4, for the brake booster check valve trick. THANK YOU, SIR!!!! Much appreciated info on those. Don't tell him, but I've been trolling his post for 2+ yrs now, lmao.
I've tested one way check valves on the engine stand with a vacuum/pressure gauge, and you would not believe how much vacuum and pressure are underneath the piston at higher rpm(5000+). I'm not talking about worn out, smoking, tiller engines, I'm talking freshly built, broken in, mild built engines.
I run 2 on my builds, 1 to catch can with a filter, the other to atmosphere with filter. my vacuum/pressure gauge showed more swing when I ran both to catch can with filter. With the vacuum/pressure gauge on my mini I see a swing, at hot idle(2000rpm) 2" of vacuum and 2 psi, now at 5000 rpm+ I see a swing of 5" and 5psi. When I tested only running 1, a 8" and 8psi swing, running none and it's well over 10" and 10psi. All that extra pressure under the piston, will slow that piston down, robbing power and rpm. GET THAT PRESSURE OUTTA THERE!!!!!!
Screenshot_20230320_152121_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20230320_151704_eBay.jpg

Crankcase venting, part 2, lol.
The stock check valve (inside valve cover) works great, for a stock governored engine that runs at a steady constant rpm, 2500-4000, it works jus fine for those engines. But during testing, I've seen them fail above 4k rpm. I guess I shouldn't say fail, as they were still working. On the gauge, you can see big jumps in vacuum/pressure, really quick and then back down to normal. That's jus too much air going in when the check valve couldn't close fast enough. Now with mini bikes and karts, there's alot of on/off, full throttle pulls and that stock check valve jus can't keep up and all kinds of crazy vacuum/pressure things start going on.
If you don't have any one way check valves yet, use the stock 1 (its better then using nothing) til you get some, but don't expect much higher rpm. It feels like you started riding the brake a bit and the engine can't rev higher, which it can't, because too much pressure is under the piston.
When you get some one way check valves, completely remove that baffle/plate that's holding the stock check valve. It's ez, some are tacked in, some are pressed in.
You don't really need a catch can, jus a filter after each check valve is fine. The catch cans I have are jus take offs from somebody else junk.

I use this for tach and cylinder head temp. Works great, not delayed like those square cheapo tachs. Its within 5 degrees of my handheld infrared gun. Has alarm settings for max rpm and temp, screen turns red to whatever you set it at. Has rpm recall. Has other stuff too, hrs and things like that. Its only like $25 free shipping.Takes a battery, I ordered 2 spare batts but have not used them, I think it's been on since June or July last year.
Screenshot_20230321_011656_eBay.jpg 20230219_135423.jpg

Awesome!!!!
Those engagement springs makes a lil engine think it's a big-un, lol.
Well since you have started the thread, you have gained 8mph and 500 rpm, on the high side of the converter. Extremely good for the lil bit of $ you invested in the springs and bump in CR. Most (around here, anyways) spend $200-$300 and cant even see that kinda gain, not even close.
I'm gonna be in and out today. So I'll try to answer all I can.
Lapping valves, is something I do on every head before install. It's jus 1 less thing I don't have to worry about when something dont seem right while testing, tuning, or breaking 1 in on the stand.
I'm sure some others can jump in and help you out, if they get a chance.
Alright so I got a 60 tooth sprocket and put it with the 9t driven sprocket. I’m now running around 53mph and 5300 rpm. I think my belt is stretched/worn. There’s a lot more slack when taking it on and off compared to the stock ones that come with them. It’s one of 3 that I bought off of Amazon for $20-30. I did swap out for a fresh one the other day but it completely shredded it about a mile down the road. Pulleys are aligned so I’m guessing it’s most likely a <$10 belt doing what they do.
What’s a good brand of belt to get?

I looked into valve lapping and there’s nothing to it. I have a lapping tool on the way.

OK I'm bak for a bit.
Crankcase venting. Are 1 way check valves necessary????? YES...absolutely, positively, dam right bro, hell yea man, make your sticker peck up dude!!!!!
I 1st need to give a big shout out to @ole4, for the brake booster check valve trick. THANK YOU, SIR!!!! Much appreciated info on those. Don't tell him, but I've been trolling his post for 2+ yrs now, lmao.
I've tested one way check valves on the engine stand with a vacuum/pressure gauge, and you would not believe how much vacuum and pressure are underneath the piston at higher rpm(5000+). I'm not talking about worn out, smoking, tiller engines, I'm talking freshly built, broken in, mild built engines.
I run 2 on my builds, 1 to catch can with a filter, the other to atmosphere with filter. my vacuum/pressure gauge showed more swing when I ran both to catch can with filter. With the vacuum/pressure gauge on my mini I see a swing, at hot idle(2000rpm) 2" of vacuum and 2 psi, now at 5000 rpm+ I see a swing of 5" and 5psi. When I tested only running 1, a 8" and 8psi swing, running none and it's well over 10" and 10psi. All that extra pressure under the piston, will slow that piston down, robbing power and rpm. GET THAT PRESSURE OUTTA THERE!!!!!!
I would never have guessed that there was that much to crankcase venting! I’ve got some valves coming now too. You’re exactly right though, it’s just like I hit a wall and the RPMs just won’t climb and higher.

Another thing I’ve been messing with is timing. I bought a timing light and a dial indicator, the timing light really just to be able to verify the exact position of the flywheel when it sparks.
I understand that the PVL flywheel I’m running is keyed to 28 degrees, so I’m going to take it off and reset it to 32 and see how it does

Oh and thanks for the recommendation on the tach/temp meter, that’s not a bad price at all! I have 2 on the way lol

Alright so I got a 60 tooth sprocket and put it with the 9t driven sprocket. I’m now running around 53mph and 5300 rpm. I think my belt is stretched/worn. There’s a lot more slack when taking it on and off compared to the stock ones that come with them. It’s one of 3 that I bought off of Amazon for $20-30. I did swap out for a fresh one the other day but it completely shredded it about a mile down the road. Pulleys are aligned so I’m guessing it’s most likely a <$10 belt doing what they do.
What’s a good brand of belt to get?

I looked into valve lapping and there’s nothing to it. I have a lapping tool on the way.
That's great!!!! You jus keep gaining!!!!
You are creeping up on that cam now. I'm sure you are seeing how much harder it pulls at 4k then it does at 3k.
I have the best luck with bando belts, but are limited in sizes, comets belts are a very close 2nd.
When playing with timing, always check where it's at with the stock key, then make adjustments. These mass produced cranks, the keyways are cut different. Anywhere from 18-27 degrees with stock key and flywheel. The last pred hemi I checked was 27 (stock flywheel), matched with a ARC flywheel came out to 35 and that was too much for the CR, rider weight, gearing, and 87 octane. Made it too hard too start, too much pressure on the rod bearing, and lost a ton of "outta the hole pull".
I have an old 168cc mocked up with crank (24 degrees), rod, piston, and side cover for checking clone taper flywheels, with a dail indicator. I don't bother checking pvl's or arc's any more. They are always 28 and 32. But always check the cranks.
You won't feel a difference on the butt dyno when running 28-32. You need a tach, speedo, and a buddy with a stop watch. I see faster times at 60 ft, 100, and 200 ft at 28-29 degrees, but I keep my builds under 10.5:1 CR, run SA bored carbs, 87 octane gas and live 1200 above sea level.
With the pvl flywheels, I set airgap at .060" and arc's at .075". I also use dover power performance coils, wires and caps. They retard timing less at higher rpm (5k +). 1-2 degrees retard compared to the 6-8 with the stock coils. Also use non resistor plugs, they help with retarding timing.
I really like that tach/temp gauge. I see kart racing sites selling it $80-$150. You have to manualy turn it off tho. I've left mine on for days more then once, and it's still the same battery.
Since you don't have hills, and now a 6.66:1 gear, you might could possibly move that driven spring to less resistance holes, jus for experimenting, after you get the best carb, timing tune. I keep different drivens set up for people to test.
Another thing, if you could handle it, and keep it under control, is adding more stall to the driver, a little at a time (100-200) for experimenting. That cam was designed for 13" or smaller tires, 4000+ stall and never see below 5500 rpm during a race. Lol. I can show you how without spending any more money on springs. Jus takes a drill, 3/16" bit and a cheap doper's scale, in grams.
We can do that after you get the tach/temp gauge.
You broke your 50+ mph mark. Are you done now,???? lmao
Good luck, keep updated your progress