Do you prefer an Axle, or a plain old Bolt?

Minimichael

I mean is it me or haven't I seen both in use on various bikes? An axle seems ideal if you've got space for a nut on each side of the mounting hole. I see how you could lock in an axle position as to the frame itself, on either side, and also be able to control for just a hair of slack for the wheel hub to spin without the same left-to-right thrust pressure that a bolt necessarily creates. I believe my bonanza has axles, but otherwise I've gotten away with bolts (12mm), from the hardware store, and I've just assembled carefully, while caring a lot about not over tightening and stressing the radial bearings. Call me naive, call me cheap, or just lazy. But now I'm asking the all-powerful minds here for your opinions. In part because I've been restoring for fun, not accuracy, but also because I haven't exactly come across a lot of axle dealers on line. What's your go to?
PXL_20230325_011142595.jpg

nightgrider

I think a bolt works just fine as long as your bearings and spacers match the size. I would say that I would avoid a bolt that is threaded all the way up and use ones like you have been getting with just the end threaded. I think a fully threaded bolt would act like an auger thru the spacers.
Definitely had to go looking for a specific bolt with a long enough shoulder for the bearings to ride on. In the end had to special order it from fastenal, the price back then, if I remember right, was under $7 for the bolt. Though my fox campus has a specific set up with the offset hub and LH swing arm. When I bought the bike it had an axel with 2 threaded ends, but I don't believe that was factory based on images I've seen.

Minimichael

I wouldn't use red, but maybe that's just me. I use lock nuts with plastic inserts on the wheel bolts - plus anywhere else that's critical. I order from McMaster carr for most. They have good search filtering and product descriptions.

Minimichael

And yeah, I'm most concerned about that back axle on the bikes with swing arms because they end with just an open forked hole. So really the only thing other than the bolt that's holding the wheel on is the chain and brake cable, and meanwhile the tension adjusters are trying to pull the wheel off!

Minimichael

Well that bushing's got me a couple summers anyway. I'm putting together another artic cat and have this one taken apart partially as I make my grocery list of hardware. I guess now I'm trying to find these bushings for the swing arm, or a machinist who'll make a couple fresh pairs (so if anybody knows anybody...).

Last edited: