Tecumseh Paint Code?

Does anyone have the paint code #/brand or know of an exact match for the white tecumseh engines? Thx...
A well known Rupp restorer told me he uses this: 1994 Honda Passport cream white.....(not the 2 wheeled Honda passport...the SUV vehicle)
There is also a rattle can color that a lot of guys here use and you can search OldMiniBikes for it. I just did a housing in Ford Wimbledon white.

Someone had 2 or 3 cans on Ebay awhile back that they had custom mixed. I bid $22[$30 with shipping for 1 can] and was outbid and then given second chance . I said no. They said they got the code from Brandt at Rupparts. I haven't followed up on it yet, but somewhere I have the picture of the "Ebay" can with the mixer's number, but will have to figure out who mixed it. Maybe Brandt can help. Let me know if you find anything. I'm interested in 2-4 cans. I believe the Ebay sale was from Arizona.

Someone had 2 or 3 cans on Ebay awhile back that they had custom mixed. I bid $22[$30 with shipping for 1 can] and was outbid and then given second chance . I said no. They said they got the code from Brandt at Rupparts. I haven't followed up on it yet, but somewhere I have the picture of the "Ebay" can with the mixer's number, but will have to figure out who mixed it. Maybe Brandt can help. Let me know if you find anything. I'm interested in 2-4 cans. I believe the Ebay sale was from Arizona.
It's the same as I posted above.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! With so many Tecumseh's out there, I woulda thought that the color code would be common knowledge, but I guess not! Still great info, thanks again!

Here's a link to a site where I quickly found that there was only one shade of white for the '94 Passport, Cream White Clearcoat, code 752/W101. Buy spray cans of base coat for $24.95, and clear coat costs $12.25.

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

paintscratch.com is a great site for deciphering paint codes, but I've never bought anything from them so I can't vouch for the quality.
That's a nice link. Very handy. Oh, and Brandt does not use clear coat and uses Urethane paint out of a spray gun.

I used an inexpensive spray can from Dupi-color (Wimbeldon white) (used on early ford mustangs). I bought it at Auto-zone and paid about $5.00 a can. This seems to match pretty well. P.S. I called Tecumseh tech support and they have no idea what the color is called or where to get it.

george3

I have been using Duplicolor white engine paint....
The Duplicolor is better paint than that Other spray can crap, but the wrong shade, too white. Not enough off white shade and needs a bit of black tint to it. I gave this a try 1994 Honda Passport cream white, close but not perfict. It was that high dollar spray can crap with the link. NOT gas resistant Days of drying in heat and ran like hot butter when gas got on it. Had to strip that garbage and will paint with real paint.
http://www.paintscratch.com/apple.html

Last edited:
W101. Honda passport will be about the closest you will find. The paint needs to be hardened to be gas and oil resistant. I like base coat / clear coat over using a urethane. Base coat don't fill in the model and date code stampings. Gas tanks need to be double taped,upper tape line on bare steel of first thread of fill neck then another tape line below that about a 1/16th of an inch. Spray color and then before clear coat is sprayed remove bottom tape line and spray clear. This way the color is covered with a hardened clear coat and sealed from the gas. Hope this makes sense and helpful.

Having spent ALOT of time researching this and painting 7-8 different engines...Here is what I've found.

1994 HONDA PASSPORT WHITE is probably the closest you will find. BUT, It is only available from paintscratch.com at $22 a can. I bought 2 cans and used them. While the color was nice, to make it look really good you have to WET SAND IT and then CLEAR IT.

SO, I found a better solution. I now use DUPLI-COLOR "DOVER ARTIC WHITE" - which is part of the "perfect match" series from Dupli-Color. I have used many colors including Wimbledon White, and they are not close enough. DOVER ARTIC WHITE is it. Spray it on thick with multiple coats...but becareful so it doesn't run. THEN, when you're done, get the DUPLI-COLOR CLEAR COAT and clear it nice and heavy...It will come out perfect...Here is what one of mine looks like....

Tecumseh engine paint

I have the same question about the gray engine paint code for tecumseh engines. I'm new to this hobby and website. Any help would be appreciated .

I wish I still had all the old color chip bools from the parts store I worked at in the early eighties. I was really good at mixing/tinting paint. Anyway a good online source for color charts is autocolorlibrary.com their chips are a bit more accurate than any other online source. I would bet that the colors for these engines were in print in some like fleet color selector chart back than-seems like I remember using it.

george3

W101. Honda passport will be about the closest you will find. The paint needs to be hardened to be gas and oil resistant. I like base coat / clear coat over using a urethane. Base coat don't fill in the model and date code stampings. Gas tanks need to be double taped,upper tape line on bare steel of first thread of fill neck then another tape line below that about a 1/16th of an inch. Spray color and then before clear coat is sprayed remove bottom tape line and spray clear. This way the color is covered with a hardened clear coat and sealed from the gas. Hope this makes sense and helpful.
10 days is more than enough. In hot room and in the hot sun.

The Duplicolor is better paint than that Other spray can crap, but the wrong shade, too white. Not enough off white shade and needs a bit of black tint to it.
Guess I will strip it all off.... Not.

I am more after the enjoyment of riding an old bike. Exact color match seems anal retentive. :laugh:

I am of the mindset of retaining the nostalgia more than an exact match. Going that far would make me worry about riding it. And isn't that what this about? Riding and enjoying Old Mini Bikes?

Insert trailer queen argument here...

george3

Quote:
Originally Posted by george3
The Duplicolor is better paint than that Other spray can crap, but the wrong shade, too white. Not enough off white shade and needs a bit of black tint to it.

Guess I will strip it all off.... Not.

I am more after the enjoyment of riding an old bike. Exact color match seems anal retentive. :laugh:

I am of the mindset of retaining the nostalgia more than an exact match. Going that far would make me worry about riding it. And isn't that what this about? Riding and enjoying Old Mini Bikes?

Insert trailer queen argument here...
It wasent my engine that I used that paint on. The owner bought that over priced rattle can spray paint. The duplicolor bonds better and is much more gas resistant.

My son and I were always skeptical about the "oil and gas resistant" claims of the various brands of "rattle can" engine paints. About 2 years ago we set up a good side-by-side comparison of the 3 major (only?) players- namely, VHT, Duplicolor, and Rustoleum. We were very careful to use identical metals (condition, type, and prep) for the testing, and (very important) we also used the (engine primer") proprietary to each brand. Finally, we made sure and let each paint brand properly/fully cure as per their respective manufacturer's instructions. (Typically 7 days MINIMUM)

While all of the paints were oil and gas "resistant", NOT "proof", over their non-engine paint counterparts, the VHT was the clear winner over both Duplicolor and Rustoleum which performed about the same. I would "guesstimate" that the VHT performed (lasted longer) by around 20-25% over the other brands when subject to gasoline. For our testing we tried both dripping gasoline and then rubbing a gasoline-soaked rag on the painted surface. While the VHT did better, it comes at a price- It is significantly more difficult to apply w/o drips/sags. You have to do more lighter coats to get the same coverage.
Michael

Last edited:
Jeff,

Looks like you have plenty of options from the other responses.

You may wish to look into Cardinal Industrial Finishes, A-4107-WH 121 White. (602) 437-2401. I had my local powder coating company finish my Tecumseh blower housing and other related pieces in this color for my Bonanza mini-bike.

I also had some 12oz spray cans mixed as well from Cardinal, an acrylic enamel based paint that matches the powder coat well. Listed as Semi-Gloss, it really has the right sheen, with the touch of gloss that matches the Tecumseh bone white color well.

Good luck.

-Doug