The Mystery bike rebuild

Markus, a few years ago, we used to use drag bars on our motorcycles. They were basically a solid bar that mounted in place of the rear shocks. Something like that, maybe chromed, or with a nice design and painted might work well in place of the shocks.

Of course you could do a swing arm and a jack shaft setup, and flip the sprocket/brake around.

Anyway, I love the small frame bikes with Westbends in them. Very unique bike, and it's looking good. :thumbsup:

markus

If my idea works, this random batch of parts will be the basis of my detachable handle bars, if not its back to square one :doah:

I will start working on that int he next few days.......

Havent got squat done to this bike either lately, I did buy a tilly to try for the west bend, I havent found any real good info on the carbs I bought this one cause it was not real expensive and since its from a saw I'm thinking it may be better suited for the smaller dispacement of this motor, I dunno what it is but is smaller than a 510 even. Trying to avoid using the carb that came on it as its the old walbro float bowl and with the angle thats not the best choice.

markus

I drug this out this afternoon and was able to I think make the handlebars work.

I used the parts shown in my previous posting to do it. They originally had driven hard wooden dowels into the ends of the bars and just drilled and tapped :doah: So I drilled out the dowels and set them in the mounts, and drilled through again just enough to take the threads out of the mount and go through the bars. then I drilled the holes in the bars out bigger than the threaded inserts and I ground the insert down to the same diameter of the bars, set it all back on the bike, ran the bolt through to set the insert and tacked them in. took it all apart again and then puddle welded the inserts in the larger holes on the outside of the bars and also welded as best I could on the inside. ground it all back down to fit in the mount again and walla!

I had been trying to find a neat knob to use, but most I have found are plastic and not what I am after. I also bought some large wingnuts and I am thinking of welding them onto the bolts Dunno yet, I drilled the threads out of one and just have it sitting on there right now to see how it would look,

open to some ideas on this if you have any neat ones :thumbsup: next trip to the
hardware store I will pick up some endcaps for the bars and clean them up a bit to make things look better.

Great project. :thumbsup: I used some nobs from sears hardware on my Sabre (handel bars) you sold me. They may look cool on that bike. I think I have a photo, let me look.:wink:

markus

Those don't look bad at all karen :thumbsup: I'll have to go check out a different hardware store that I don't normally go to to see if they have those or something different than the one I always go to!!

Well, its back on its feet, still have a ways to go but its getting there!!!

I'm actually gonna need to change a few things, I made some changes to the rear wheel assy and I could use a longer axle now, and a few other little tidbits I forgot I wanted to chage (bad thing about taking something apart 2 years ago :doah:)
Now I gotta start working on that fiberglass tank, I have been avoiding doing it!

When I first saw this bike I wondered where the pivot point was, I will be either parting out or repairing an Arco that some dumbass cut the frame on that has rear suspension. I guess they saw the Arco with the pivot at the footpegs and assumed it would be fine. I made bent pieces and slugged them but have yet to weld it up, I may just let it go since the only engine that fits is a Tecumseh. Were this little bike mine I'd run struts in place of those shocks having put in the other work. I'd be afraid it would eventually break. It's perhaps the coolest mini anyone has ever posted here, I wish that I could find such a cool little machine. The work you've done so far is great, cannot wait to see it completely finished.:thumbsup:

markus

I finally got around to painting the fuel tank for this bike, I had caswell sealed the inside and then basically just glassed the outside again after some prep just to clean it up. I had a problem with the glass (setup improperly), got mad and walked away :crying:

I drug the sticky tank out the other day and fixed it, painted it silver and cleared it. I have been trying very hard not to stray from original construction and setup, but I did feel the tank looks better in the silver than if I had painted it the same color as the bike like it was. I made a few subtle changes to tank like trimming and shaping the edges, and smothed out corners of the seat mounts, stuff like that but nothing to major.

I dont know what to do about the seat, Its pretty worn compared to the bike now, but I really like it as its actual leather, so I'm just going to leave it for now and worry about it later.

My only real holdup I guess now with this bike will be setting up the carb.

should have it buttoned by 2016 :doah:

markus

I'm trying to butting this stupid thing up before I chip and scratch all the paint off it kicking it around the dam garage for the last few years.

I actually hooked the brake up and rode it (OK the engine was not running but it was a sweet quite ride to end of the driveway with a little lock up skid for a finish). I still have not completed the wing nut for the handle bars, and I'd like to knock this out. Trying to think of the best way to attach the wing nut to the allen head bolt I am using. I did drill the thead out of one nut and it slip right over and I had planned to just weld it up, I woud like it to look pretty clean though and almost woudl like to keep the allen head in the center.

What I am wondering is if I could run a tap down the head of the bolt, I dont want to trash a tap though :shrug: maybe sort of make it like a double lock type of deal???

View attachment 66858 View attachment 66859 View attachment 66860