Search results

1. SpyGuy

mini b maintenance

Good information here on taking care of the bike. Lucky for me, "the season" here in Arizona is pretty much all year-round .... :p :scooter:
  2. SpyGuy

Gemini Value

Even a Skat Kitty can be made with enough patience and the right tools. It won't be an original Skat Kitty, but it will be close enough. Bottom line: the bikes are worth what someone will pay for them. To a collector, "restored condition" is not as good as "unrestored condition." For...
  3. SpyGuy

any good crashes!?

Well, admittedly this wasn't exactly on a minibike, but I was taking a slow corner while riding in a parking lot and hit a patch of gravel with the front wheel. The bike went left, I went right and down on my shoulder and right arm. Had some nice road rash for the next month, since I was only...
  4. SpyGuy

Disc Brake on a Static Axle?

Going to say a bad word here, but if you look at how the pocketbike brakes are set up, that's pretty much it. The disc is attached to the rim itself, the caliper is attached to the fork or on a floating brake bracket that slips over the rear axle and bolts to the frame. Main thing is getting a...
  5. SpyGuy

Need help ID'ing 2 parts I just picked up.

Gentlemen, awesome pictures - thank you! I've been researching band brakes, as I want to put on on my K&S Hornet (conversion from scrub brake), but wasn't exactly sure how to go about it. Now I know. That exploded-view diagram was especially helpful, as well as seeing all the different kinds...
  6. SpyGuy

what are you listening to v.2.0

The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"
  7. SpyGuy

Tommyprops lost in the desert!

That would hurt. A lot.
  8. SpyGuy

Speed, how much is enough?

. o O (Hmmmm ..... does anyone else hear Sammy Hagar in the background here? "I Can't Drive 55"? Maybe it's just me .....) How fast is fast enough? I personally like boondock's description: "Go fast enough that you almost crap your pants...and then a little bit more" :thumbsup: Fast...
  9. SpyGuy

Brake Conversion

Awesome .. thanks for the info, Ratbike, and thank you for the link, Papa. I feel more secure using a handbrake than I do a footbrake, considering everything else I have is all stopped by handbrakes.
  10. SpyGuy

Brake Conversion

Doing the mounting plate shouldn't be a problem, but I was more wondering about the band itself. I think I have some thin steel I can use for that, and bend it around a jig .... Are those ends rolled around the mounting pins?
  11. SpyGuy

Its six months old but what is it

I'd say about 3/4 appetite .....
  12. SpyGuy

Electric scooter gone gas

Nice conversion. Those electric wheels are kind of a pain - the hub is threaded onto the rim, and usually on a freewheel setup. If you don't have the wheel facing the right way, the freewheel just spins, and spins, and spins .... or in your case, the torque from the motor just unscrews it...
  13. SpyGuy

old mini bike code

No, give him only twenty-five ... traitor or not, he IS keeping the kids away from the older and more valuable minis. Once those get trashed, that's one or more less old minis .... Be careful on setting up that rear wheel - some of the electrics have freewheels on them, so you have to make sure...
  14. SpyGuy

Brake Conversion

Ratbike, is that band brake a kit? I'm looking to add a different brake to my newly-purchased (and identified) K&S Hornet. It came with a scrub, but I don't feel it works well enough. A couple of people mentioned clutch brakes like this.
  15. SpyGuy

Keystone Kops Shriners minibike

Sweet little ride. Definitely a keeper. What exactly are the measurements on the bike? Length, weight, wheel size ...?
  16. SpyGuy

Go Devil..Part out or cobble?

Chinese bikes and motors are a dime a dozen, but an original minibike is worth something, even if it's just a link to the past. Restore that sucker with a correctly-fitting engine.
  17. SpyGuy

New Ride

Woohoo! Thanks! I was wondering what this thing was :shrug:..... now I know.:thumbsup: Ayers, thanks, forgot about the clutch brakes. Gona start digging into the archives, see what I can find out about them. I'm not too big a fan of the scrub brakes - they work, but they also wear the...
  18. SpyGuy

New Ride

The Bible says, "Good things come to those who wait." Well, after waiting for quite a while, a good thing happened across the local craigslist. A college student was packing up and leaving town, and couldn't take his minibike with him. $150 later, the bike was in the back of my truck and...
  19. SpyGuy

40s style Army Cycle Baja Bike Just Finished Painting it!

Bike looks great. May I offer some suggestions, since you're going for a military theme? -Luggage rack on both front and back -Ammo boxes for saddlebags. -On the military Harleys, they had the rifle scabbard down one leg of the front forks, usually leather braced by steel -Trench shovel...
  20. SpyGuy

what the f#*%

Nothing worse than letting someone wreck your ride and you getting stuck with the repairs. Last time that happened (and I DO mean the last time), a friend had borrowed one of my bikes, and promptly plowed it into a tree because he was goofing around. First, I made sure he was all right - no...