Search results

1. Orson_Yancey

Would OldMiniBikes like to have a forum for PhatMoto and other motorized bicycles?

Hello Community, I have been researching the PhatMoto Rover and All Terrain motorized bicycles. These motorized bicycles have engine and drive trains similar to mini bikes. I. e. a bolt-on 4 cycle engine and a centrifugal clutch. The community of PhatMoto people is growing fast. I believe...
  2. Orson_Yancey

What years did Tecumseh place points under the flywheel but external coil outside above flywheel?

Hi, In the 1960's and 1970's, Tecumseh used a magneto (points, condenser, and coil) located behind the flywheel. And I understand that it is difficult to change these engines over to electronic ignitions. By about the mid-1980's, Tecumseh changed over to electronic ignition, (CDI solid...
  3. Orson_Yancey

About what year were emissions carburetors introduced?

Hi Folks, I know that the minibike community is made up of some of the most knowledgeable small engine people--CFH, Markus,.... About what years did Tecumseh and Briggs introduce emissions carburetors? Maybe the mid-1990's? I collect and work on snowblowers. I am thinking of phasing out...
  4. Orson_Yancey

Thread To Discuss The Briggs & Stratton Co. Re: Filing Bankruptcy

I want to start a thread. As many of you probably already know, Briggs filed bankruptcy on July 20, 2020. I hope that there is some way that Briggs can come-out of bankruptcy and survive. I hate to see an American Icon disappear. Many of us grew-up with these engines as part of our most...
  5. Orson_Yancey

Some Tecumseh Seal removal driver tool kits on Ebay right now

Two or three seal removal and driver tool kits are for sale on Ebay. One of them states that the Kit number is 691301 kit These kits have about 15 pieces. Come in a small red box, dimensions about 6" x 10" by 5". From reading the directions included in another similar kit, it mentions...
  6. Orson_Yancey

What Spark Plug Do You Run In Your Modified Race Flat Head? Thoughts on J17LM, J19LM

Folks (all 6 of you or likely more who still run flat heads), I would like to hear people's thoughts on what spark plugs they run in their modified high performance flat heads. Since the 1940's, auto and small engine flat heads used the Champion J and CJ series of spark plugs, J-8 (heat range...
  7. Orson_Yancey

How many cc's to make each HP in stock small engines?

Hi, I have been asking myself the question for a few years: How many cc to make each HP in a small engine commonly used on yard and outdoor power equipment. Based on measurements and browsing through a lot of manuals and books, this I what I think. A stock OEM four-stroke small engine at...
  8. Orson_Yancey

Build a Sleeper by putting Tec HS40 shrouds on a HS50 Short Block?

Hi, The Tec HS40 is probably the most common engine in vintage minibikes. And the Tec HS50 (AKA Snow King HSSK50 and LH195.) is probably the most common engine on all snowblowers ever made. How about building a sleeper minibike engine by putting the HS40 shrouds, carb, muffler, air filter...
  9. Orson_Yancey

Has Anyone in NH Registered and Licensed a Minibike For Street Legal Use?

Hi, I am researching about street legal use in New Hampshire. I have read many of the other threads on this common subject of making a minibike street legal, in various states. I know it depends on each state's DMV and a certain amount of luck. I am wondering about the difficulty of...
  10. Orson_Yancey

Any thoughts on why there are no Rupp Clones?

I would really like to see some manufacturers producing brand new Rupp clones. I read that in 1998, the Honda patents on the mini trails expired. It was not long afterward, several Chinese companies starting producing clones of the famous Honda mini trails. Does anyone have thoughts on why we...
  11. Orson_Yancey

No Name MiniBike 3 HP Briggs On Boston Craigslist $175

Hi Folks, Here is a minibike listed in the Boston area. Looks like a 1970's no-name minibike, no suspension, 3 HP Briggs. Newton is 15 to 20 minutes from my house. 3HP American Mini Bike Let me know if you want me to do anything to help you with the transaction in the event that you...
  12. Orson_Yancey

Thread of Reasons to Build and Ride Minibikes Rather Than Other 2 & 4 Wheel Vehicles

Reasons to Build and Ride Minibikes Rather Than Other 2 and 4 Wheel Vehicles Introduction ------------ While watching the economy go into shambles, my savings shrink, my income being drastically reduced, and viewing the soon prospect of gasoline back to $4.00/gallon; I got thinking a few...
  13. Orson_Yancey

Thread of want to be friends on Facebook?

Hi all Mini Bike People, Networking is of great value in this economy, when looking for rare parts, and when visiting other areas of the country. Please feel free to friend request me on Facebook. My profile is my same name with the addition of my middle initial: Orson P. Yancey Boston, MA...
  14. Orson_Yancey

Thread of current status of Tecumseh Engine Manufacturer?

Friends, I read on another lawn mover website that Tecumseh Products Company filed for bankruptcy in 2007, sold-off the engine division to be renamed Tecumseh Power. And I read that Tecumseh Power ceased manufacturing engines in Fall 2008. On Wikipedia, I read that Tecumseh Products Company...
  15. Orson_Yancey

The new Baja Comet 90 is a Honda CT70 knock-off

On Canadian Tire, I see a new Baja Comet 90cc which is a Honda CT70 knock-off: Baja Comet 90cc Mini Bike | Canadian Tire Price of $1000. Price seems a bit high. The website does not state, but maybe that price is in Canadian dollars. Color is lime. At least the price is less than the MSRP...
  16. Orson_Yancey

1965 Fox Campus on Ebay

The seller has a buy now price of $2,500. Vintage 1965 Fox Campus Minibike Mini-Bike:eBay Motors (item 260437779458 end time Jul-05-09 16:35:57 PDT) In case the URL does not work, the seller name is milk_dude item # 260437779458 Is there a better to put in a URL to an Ebay item? Orson
  17. Orson_Yancey

What model year Fox Campus bike did I have?

Hi Ogygposis and Others, I know this sounds like a trick question, but I have been trying to remember what model year of Fox Campus Bike I had. I have been reading threads today on the Fox Campus bikes. I agree that Fox Campus Bikes are the best, nicest-looking minibikes of the 1960's. I...