Search results

1. 65ShelbyClone

Hemi GX140 build

I'm starting this so I don't clog-up others' with my own stuff. I've had this GX140 for about 25 years and it was always used for experimenting. It was disassembled 10+ years ago and I thought it got thrown out, but low and behold I found the parts! The original head was ported, cut, and...
  2. 65ShelbyClone

Need measurement from 212 hemi head.

I'm looking for the width across the outside of the valves on a hemi 212 head as shown below. Thanks!
  3. 65ShelbyClone

Wanted: damaged Flathead & OHV speed parts.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for broken go-fast bits for flathead and OHV engines. Did you frag a billet connecting rod and the big end is still intact? Split a performance cam in half and one or both lobes survived? Slip a billet flywheel and the keyway is wrecked? Perfect! I need them as a...
  4. 65ShelbyClone

Zebra 300 head tube length?

I just picked up a rough Zebra 300 frame that's had the head tube hacked on and cut on an angle. I want to repair or replace it, but don't know the original length. Anybody have one they could get a measurement from? Thanks. EDIT: should this have gone in the "minibike discussion" forum...
  5. 65ShelbyClone

So many hairdyers, so little time.

This greasy lump came in the mail a few days ago: After some elbow grease to get rid of the actual grease, it looks right presentable: I got a GT15 back in '06 for a 10hp Briggs project and have wanted one of these tiny IHIs since then. I thought the Garrett was a pretty darn small turbo...
  6. 65ShelbyClone

What happened to Bob's 4cycle?

I was away over the weekend and only just tried to log in yesterday to find out that the karting.4cycle.com URL no longer resolves to an IP address. I went searching and found that it's now just 4cycle.com, and is running the latest vBulletin software (finally!). Oh, and the forum posts made...
  7. 65ShelbyClone

Digital Ignition & EFI revisited with a GX340

I originally posted this on 4cycle in the clone forum and I think most people there couldn't care less. Minibikers seem more interested in off-the-wall things, so here's some select copypasta from that other thread ------------------ A series of events this year landed me several MegaSquirt...
  8. 65ShelbyClone

GX340: 1st impressions and valvetrain carnage.

I picked up a pair of GX340s for $50 and spent yesterday stripping one for parts and fixing the other. They're both from generators, so I'll have to modify the crank or make an adapter and mill off the "bellhousing" for use on something else. First impressions: I like how much bigger and...
  9. 65ShelbyClone

Where to find used Yanmar diesel clones?

I have been looking around online for a Yanmar L-100 diesel engine clone, aka a Chinese "186F" or similar and I'm surprised at how hard they are to find. New ones aren't that plentiful, either, and I think real Yanmars may actually be easier to source. I can get clones new for $200/ea.....in...
  10. 65ShelbyClone

Fun with the new digital microscope.

I just got a handheld digital still/video microscope and have been wasting a lot of time with it lately shooting ultra-closeups of mundane things. :laugh: It has 20, 50, and 200x magnification. Any requests?
  11. 65ShelbyClone

Apparently mantids eat hummingbirds...

Mantid = praying mantis. That's a photo I took roughly a week ago of a European mantis eating an Anna's hummingbird, which is the second bird it killed. It consumed about 1/10 and discarded the rest. Fast forward to this evening when I heard a distressed flapping and chattering from same...
  12. 65ShelbyClone

Champion 6.5hp clone new old stock.

I am selling this GX200 clone on behalf of my father. He bought it a couple years ago for a rototiller and then discovered the tiller requires an engine with auxiliary reverse-rotation cam drive, so it's been sitting in the box unopened until I pulled it out to take these photos. I'm pretty sure...
  13. 65ShelbyClone

Some Subaru EX270 info here

An almost-new overhead cam EX27 was given to me with a piled-up rod and crank, so it's apart for repairs. That gave me the opportunity to take some measurements not published in the service manual. I figured someone here might find them interesting. Here is some published info...
  14. 65ShelbyClone

How To: flat lapping a cylinder head.

I have been meaning to put together a quick tutorial on how to flat lap a cylinder head since the question does get asked on occasion. Tonight I finally did just that. Some of you may remember the dumpster jewel 3hp iron bore/ball bearing Briggs I found a while back. It's been sitting on the...
  15. 65ShelbyClone

Do you have a dream car?

If so, post a picture! I figure to make it a little more interesting, we can use opposite ends of the spectrum: 1.) Ultra high-dollar cars that you and most people in general are not likely to ever own. Any car, new or old. Want a 1966 GT40? Cool. Want a 2008 Bugatti Veyron? That's cool too...
  16. 65ShelbyClone

Is this a 2hp, 2.5hp, or ?

I fished a locked-up little old flathead Briggs out of a roll-off dumpster last week and can't figure out exactly what it is. I'm going out to clean it up right now and will get photos up shortly. Until then, here are the numbers: Model: 81232 Type: 0166-01 Serial: 6405253 B&S's parts lists...
  17. 65ShelbyClone

GX120 vs. GX160 crank dimensions

I know the 120's rod journal and flywheel taper are smaller; that's not a concern at the moment. What I would like to find out is whether a 120 crank will drop into a 160/200 case or if the width is narrower or the bearings smaller, etc. Does anyone have the dims for comparison?
  18. 65ShelbyClone

MDB et al; clone cranks & crank supports?

I remember that there have been several documented failures of clone cranks in built, high-RPM engines and that Honda cranks are preferred. Has anyone tried running the clones with a crank support? It seems to me that the power and RPM ceiling of a production part could probably be raised quite...
  19. 65ShelbyClone

Is this engine an old Wisconsin?

I got this engine back in '05 off of a big, ancient cement mixer. It had been sitting for 20+ years and then a forest fire delivered the finishing blow in '04. Fortunately it didn't get hot enough to wreck much other than the fuel tank and plug wire. Surprisingly the oil still looks good both in...
  20. 65ShelbyClone

This is why big bores help port flow...

Shrouding in the chamber is only half of the problem with inline-valve engines like these running large valves and lift. (Seasoned gearheads will already know this) Poke the valve out past the chamber and it runs right next to the cylinder wall. I was inspired to take a picture after seeing some...