Search results

1. PhatTires

Tight chain

Okay, I think I get it now. I actually made a model to help me understand it better. When crank, swingarm pivot and axle are in a straight line it's at it's greatest length. If the swingarm were perpendicular, it would actually be shorter and looser. A mini bike will definitely not have a long...
  2. PhatTires

Tight chain

I've heard the swingarm theory before. I can't really say I believe it though. First, An axle to crank distance is fixed. A swingarm doesn't shorten or get longer, nor does it bend. It pivots on a fixed point. Plus, how would you even account for that travel when adjusting the chain. Are you...
  3. PhatTires

Tight chain

It certainly will ruin a clutch, sprockets, and the chain itself. 1/2" of play is a pretty good rule of thumb. If mine gets more than 3/4" or less than 1/2" I usually think about adjusting. Lube it about once every 10-20 days. Clean it about 60 if primarily on pavement. 10-20 days on dirt. Every...
  4. PhatTires

TAV2 Driven Pulley Wide Open Width

I'm in the middle of fabricating a motor mount. I don't want the torque converter to hit the mounting bracket for my jackshaft. In order to do that, I need to know how wide the driven pulley opens at WOT. At rest, its width appears to be 1.320". Can anyone give me an idea of width when it's opened?
  5. PhatTires

blowout on a jerry rigged bike, need tube advice

The tire generally has the size printed on the sidewall. That's the size tube you need. Take your pick of valve stem. Either one should work. Curved stems are common on rear tires. Straight stems more common up front. I'm not really knowledgeable on tubeless tires. However, I don't believe a...
  6. PhatTires

Keystone soft tail deluxe

Is that a velour seat? :anon.sml: Did you buy it off a pimp? :laugh:
  7. PhatTires

A build for speed

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about being DOT tires etc. I got my bicycle rolling down Mt. Lemmon at 55+mph. Any tires that aren't bald or rotted should hold up at that speed. When I choose a tire, the main variable is traction. What type of surface will you be riding on when you're...
  8. PhatTires

New rides entry: 1995 Baja DB30 Racer

Awesome rescue!:scooter:
  9. PhatTires

Montgomery Ward front suspension picked up today.

Not a bad score at all! Sounds like you did some serious juggling to get what you wanted. :drinkup: Don't throw that old H30 out, either. It may only be a 3HP engine, but that's a hunk of Ole American Steel! Somebody will buy it.
  10. PhatTires

Monster Moto MM-B212 questions please

Looks like a really bulky frame and wide handlebars. Probably handles great, even without a swingarm.
  11. PhatTires

AZ Mini Bike Riderz

Probably the same Tim I was talking to recently. Dude's got a pretty sweet lookn' Baja, he rides out at Pinal Air Park too. Nice trails up that way... I was also gonna look at an abandoned drag strip this weekend. It's only about 20 minutes north of Dave's track.
  12. PhatTires

AZ Mini Bike Riderz

From Tucson... My bike should be running in a few weeks. If a group of you guys feel like heading down to Tucson for a ride/race; I talked to someone at Tucson Kart Speedway. He said no nobby tires on his track but the smaller track next door might. Told me to contact Dave Track Guy on FB if I...
  13. PhatTires

Just an Idea....Maybe at begining of title, Begin with the state and city the meet is

Agreed. "City, state, and date" in the subject line.
  14. PhatTires

Well I can't wear them both so why not give one away!!!!!

I like this idea^ or something similar, like best paint on a Tecumseh.
  15. PhatTires

OldMiniBikes - Levittown, PA Retail Location

I ordered (Order #646335) a bunch of parts on Monday. The order is still "awaiting fulfillment". Wassup?! I want to go riding yesterday!!!
  16. PhatTires

Aligning Crank, Jack & Drive Shafts

I'm used to motorcycles that use measurement notches to match up the rear axle. Now, all I have to go by is the number of turns on each chain tensioner bolt. The axle shouldn't be too much trouble. My second jack shaft is fixed and the TAV2's jack shaft is fixed too, right? So I can't really...
  17. PhatTires

Yeah, I wasn't concerned about the TAV2's jackshaft. I have a second jack shaft in a fixed position. I need to make sure my engine is bolted to where the crankshaft is parallel to the second jackshaft. Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should just eyeball it too... I just though maybe somebody had...
  18. PhatTires

I just ordered a new jack shaft and torque converter. Aligning sprockets seems to be pretty straight forward. However, aligning the rear axle with the jack shaft, and crankshaft seems a little less straight forward. What sort of technique do you prefer for shaft alignment?
  19. PhatTires

How Does Torque Converter Effect Gearing Choice?

Thanks for the very thorough reply. I read it all and I'm sure I'll be referring back to it later. I will definitely be experimenting with different gear sets. I'll start with a 10T>13T>18T>73T @5.27:1/32mph. I'm sure it will feel stronger than a 5:1 at holeshot, and maintain speed up most hills...
  20. PhatTires

How Does Torque Converter Effect Gearing Choice?

When you say, engagement speed. That means the engine needs to get up to 2200 RPM's to actually engage the TC and start putting power to the wheel, right? Similar to a high stall torque converter on a drag car... I was under the impression these TC's didn't "shift" into separate speeds. When...