Search results

1. Bax

Fork Spring Advice

Well... I feel absolutely silly. You know those moments where you think “why didn’t I think of that?” Today was that day. I received the coils I was after from Taco. I’m pretty darned sure, they are just cut down sections of springs lol. Well duh! Why didn’t I think of that?! The good...
  2. Bax

Fork Spring Advice

Btw- I tried the washer idea and it worked great! Only problem was I couldn’t produce a consistent angle with the tools I had on hand. I cut the washers and heated them with a torch and bent them with a mallet but the problem was when welded together, the angles were inconsistent and looked...
  3. Bax

Fork Spring Advice

Quick shout out to Taco Minibikes. I reached out about the fork spring coils and the issue I was having and Joe is sending me a pair! He was super cool to work with. Below is a pic of what it should look like:
  4. Bax

Fork Spring Advice

Wow! Thanks guys. Thankfully the fork legs are in good shape but I will definitely need new springs. I agree that they will need regular lubrication to work properly and I could see dirt gumming it up but assuming my fix is good, this will be an easy piece of maintenance. The helix is a...
  5. Bax

Fork Spring Advice

Let me start off by saying thank you to everyone. This is a really cool place and I appreciate all of the advice I’ve received thus far. Out of all the mini bikes I’ve worked on in the past, this Taco is definitely a challenging labor of love that I really want to do well but I’ve hit a snag...
  6. Bax

Taco Jack Shaft - Cut it?

Thanks Hounddog, Here are a handful of pictures that I took. I have stripped the engine, seat, wheels, and cables off. And today I started on the forks and fork legs and one of the springs snapped off while the other remained firmly welded in place on the fork. When the lighting is better...
  7. Bax

This silly bike has all sorts of surprises. Just learned that the front fork springs are welded. That’s gonna be a unique fix
  8. Bax

Taco 66?

Pulled the auxiliary gas tank today. Wow, this thing must weigh nearly 4lbs!
  9. Bax

Hey guys, I’m working on a restoration (possible resto-mod, haven’t decided) on a Taco 44 (possibly 66 but won’t know for sure until I get the paint off) and the jack shaft needs to be removed. The set screw for the 18 tooth sprocket must’ve stripped out at some point in the past because it...
  10. Bax

Taco 66?

Side note: the family asked if I wanted this Sears Gilera from his yard (they don’t know what make and model it is) but the interesting thing about this bike is it has a LEFT brake and a RIGHT shifter. Interesting huh?
  11. Bax

Taco 66?

@markus is that your bike? The tank is metal and is surprisingly rust free on the inside. It’s just coated in enough lacquer to coat your kitchen table lol
  12. Bax

Taco 66?

Thank you all for your insight and sage wisdom. I sincerely appreciate it. I’m surprised to hear the feelings invoked by the silly gas tank and am beginning to wonder if I should try to incorporate it back into the project. The tank appears to be rust free and the cap would just need to be...
  13. Bax

Taco 66?

Great insight! For as long as I can remember, the bike has been a sapphire blue but never knew it was purple originally. That’s really cool. I ran home for lunch and took a look at the serial number but could barely read it so I may do a rubbing on paper to see if that helps. Fantastic...
  14. Bax

Taco 66?

Wow! @sonerenos thank you! I do know there is a serial number there but your insight is really appreciated! I believe the engine is a 5 1/2 Hp if memory serves me correctly. So I will have to take a look when I get home tonight
  15. Bax

Taco 66?

Thanks! I’ve been on that site several times but never saw the shock disassembly page. I’ve yet to remove the shocks to take a closer look but hopefully I can fix them if replacement isn’t possible.
  16. Bax

Taco 66?

Thanks Charles! I appreciate the kind words. My goal is a close to original restoration (is that a thing? Lol). I would like to use as many original parts as possible but might go with a different than original color. My gut is telling me to try and preserve the silly style of the...
  17. Bax

Taco 66?

Hi all, My uncle recently passed away and left me a mini bike that I used to love riding as a wee lad. I have rebuilt Tote Goats in the past and my daughter rides a Monster Moto that I’ve done some work on (but it runs well since it’s so new) but I kind of want to rebuild this bike out of...