Search results

1. Birdball

Lil Indian build

Thanks for the compliments guys! Almost riding weather in Michigan!
  2. Birdball

hs40 finished.

Looks great!
  3. Birdball

Lil Indian build

Thanks Mike- lets see a ruttman build thread dude!
  4. Birdball

Lil Indian build

Really cool! I like the color. That should be a fun one for the grandson!
  5. Birdball

Lil Indian build

Today I had a chance to bead blast the wheels, followed by 1000 grit wet sand and scotch bright in soapy sink water to smooth out the bead blast roughness. I found a proper set of indian wheels for it too and went with 5.30 rear and 4.10 front. All new hardware and chain etc... Took it out...
  6. Birdball

Lil Indian build

Got the frame back from powder coat and it turned out fantastic.... I used a metallic plum crazy purple with clear. Hint: if you have your sprocket coated, tell them to mask off the teeth. I didn't and it was a nightmare trying to get it cleaned out so the chain can rest in there... Instead...
  7. Birdball

Lil Indian build

Next up the engine... I replaced the carb, and ignition but it wouldn't fire so I pulled the head and found a bent intake valve. Replaced the valve, cleaned up the motor, painted the tins and new decals. Turned out pretty slick!
  8. Birdball

Lil Indian build

A really kind forum member sold me a set of NOS front forks for an Indian (not sure what model actually) but they were perfect as I wanted the Ruttman style tilted forward bars instead of the straight bars that the micro and Minimate came with. They were about an inch longer, but I was going to...
  9. Birdball

Lil Indian build

I picked up this Allied Leisure Micro Mate this summer and it had a non working 2.5hp Tecumseh, mangled forks, a nice 6" aluminum wheel, and a front 6" steel wheel. I was gonna sell it to buy a Ruttman because it was so little but then decided it would be a cool bike for my 11year old daughter.
  10. Birdball

New Spyder

What a great bike! So well preserved!
  11. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

I'll try to figure out how to post video. Attaching an mp4 didn't work. And thanks for the tip on filing the threads for the ignition module to adjust advance. Worked well!
  12. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

Success!! Well, it was definitely the key. I replaced it and proceeded to shear it again, so I stole another key from a spare motor and then lapped the flywheel to the shaft with valve grinding compound, cleaned it up and put it back together this time with the proper torque on the nut. I...
  13. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

Well, this is embarrassing.... After swapping out the carb again and a second ignition module I had around, it turns out the flywheel key was sheared after all. Of course with all the pulling and pulling, I broke the recoil. So, new recoil on order and I stole a key from a spare hsk50 parts...
  14. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

All good. No key twisting.
  15. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

Well- I pulled the cover off, and the cam moved a lot when I did it, so I couldn't tell if it was off or not. I scraped off the rtv and replaced the cover with a proper gasket. Verified cam is in the correct position. Still runs like crap. Idles well but won't build rpm- really lazy...
  16. Birdball

Ruttman Spyder build

I finally found a set of decent used bars last night from a local guy. Gotta love the metro Detroit mini bike crowd! Really happy with the look. I've got some things to check on the motor, but should be riding before Christmas.
  17. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

It's close to the cam end but not touching. I have sealed up another motor the same way with no issues as well- it's a pretty thin bead I have there. I will probably crack the case back open to check the cam. Assuming the engine will run with the cam off one tooth, then it would make sense to...
  18. Birdball

HS50 flames out exhaust

Hi guys- just a follow-up. I got the bike finished and the engine is just not right. I have a feeling that when I pulled the case cover to remove the governor that maybe I got the cam a tooth off (retarded). Before I tear into the motor again I wanted to see if any of you have done this...
  19. Birdball

Ruttman Spyder build

I knew you would show up!
  20. Birdball

Chrome shroud

Awesome!