Search results

1. foxxinabox

Barn Find information needed

5 x 4.5" is a common trailer tire size. As wildman said, try and find a size comparable to the ones you're taking off. You said you will be replacing the rear shocks but you might also think about running the tires a little low for some extra suspension; most lawn tractor tires run ~14 PSI to...
  2. foxxinabox

Tri Rod STR 381 ?

My Tri-Rod was listed as a TR-2196, but that earns me exactly zero information online. From the info I can find, I would have to believe our models to be STR-381's but, again, with a different model tag I can't be certain, especially since I don't have the original engine. I've been piecing my...
  3. foxxinabox

Barn Find information needed

Fantastic find. I wholeheartedly agree with wildman, above, about the one-piece wheels (I have two 6x6 which had them). If you don't want to convert to a 4-lug arrangement, you might find a 3-lug go-kart rim to fit, then put your own tire on. Depending on what route you choose, I've found you...
  4. foxxinabox

Rubber Isolators & CVT's

My work on the Tri-Rod has stalled because, you know, life, but, in the meantime, I've acquired an Alsport UT-10 utility truck in need of an engine. On both machines I've been toying around with the idea of rubber isolators beneath the engine to help dampen the vibration. My question is will the...
  5. foxxinabox

Manco Thunderbird

Bought this for the wife because she wanted to learn (I'm cool with that). Does what it's supposed to do but is now powered by a Predator engine. I like to have IPL's and manuals for my toys and this one is no different. The only one I can find is for a 593-00, but this one looks a little...
  6. foxxinabox

Who made trikes ?

I have a TriRod I'm slowly putting back together. It's similar to those made by Alsport (ie - the Tri-Sport).
  7. foxxinabox

So...What Did I Buy (Get Myself Into)? - BGW TriRod

So, I had a week off work for once and what did I get done on the TriRod? (Hint: I'm married.) If you said "Not a Thing" you'd be correct. We're not going to discuss the honey-do list.... :rolleyes: Anyway, some progress on the rear end tonight. I ended up using every single cut-off wheel I...
  8. foxxinabox

So, small update here. I got the TriRod apart and pressure washed. Next step it to sand(blast) and paint / powdercoat the frame. In the meantime, since being a dad is my other duty, I've messed around with the model decal on the back of the machine. It's not 100% correct, since I don't know what...
  9. foxxinabox

Worth It?

I got this frame for my boys but, as I look at it, this might be more here than I want to mess with at the moment. My question is: is this anything worthwhile (rare, special, etc) that I really should be worried about before/if I hack it up? The handlebars have been bent and poorly welded, one...
  10. foxxinabox

TriRod Brakes (Upgrading)

Epiphany. I may look at mounting the calipers and rotors outboard of the A-arms, like in a traditional vehicle. The only reason I was against this in the beginning was that I was hoping to retain the 8" rims for off-road use (if I wanted to swap a pair from one of my 6x6). Seems like there would...
  11. foxxinabox

Well, setback. The good folks at GoPowerSports were kind enough to send me photos and sizes of the small calipers used on the Chinese quads, go-karts, etc. They would work and fit if I was going to keep the suspension at an off-road level (the A-arms at a slightly negative angle). If I'm hoping...
  12. foxxinabox

Considered, yes (have been looking into them for another project) but am trying to keep costs low and use what I have. The biggest problem with my setup is more the issue of space. Sure, the frame can be cut and rewelded but, then, is it really the same TriRod? (Philosophical argument) I'll take...
  13. foxxinabox

Sorry for the confusion. The flanges are welded to the axles from the diff - each side lopped off about 6" from the diff housing itself.
  14. foxxinabox

This is a possibility, since I have to rebuild my jackshaft assembly anyway. I was wondering if something like this would work for a parking brake. Nevertheless, I will have to look into it further; since a PO welded the drive flanges onto the differential, I haven't looked - and am concerned -...
  15. foxxinabox

This has been a thought and my only problem with this is reproducibility. To do this properly, the rotors would need to be taken to a machine shop and turned down or else you might get vibration at higher speeds. Then it also comes down to being able to find a replacement for the rotors when the...
  16. foxxinabox

Well, got the axles cut out. That's the good news. The bad is I'm limited to about 5.75" max. Realistically, it'll depend on how far I have to mount the rotor away from the bracket. The top of the trapezoid measures 6" across the widest part and narrows from there. I can't mount the calipers on...
  17. foxxinabox

I'm not sure how a single brake could be mounted unless the engine mount plate were removed and re-centered (there's not clearance on the left side), though that's an intriguing possibility. As for outboard of the flex joints, I was considering mounting them in place of the brake drums since the...
  18. foxxinabox

Which is what I'm looking at. My concern is that with the suspension, I want to make sure I have room to mount the calipers. I also have a limited amount of room (I would estimate to be ~6" - I haven't measured lately) in the A-arm. I am hoping someone can snap a photo of their hydraulic brake...
  19. foxxinabox

My TriRod currently has banded brakes. I have not had the opportunity to ride it yet but, with putting a larger engine on it, I'm having to re-engineer the axles (due to rust) and would like to upgrade to hydraulic disk brakes. I have a narrow space to work with (this is a model with suspension)...
  20. foxxinabox

Completely understand. The problem, I think, is finding shocks of a lower capacity. Most of the ones I see online are showing either 400# or 1200# - both too much, especially x4. My other issue is I'm not sure how long they're supposed to be. The ones on my TriRod are 290mm but that appears to...