07D675s RestoRod Bird build

07D675

First timer here...Havent been on here long but thought I'd participate. I found the bird a couple weeks ago and started disassembly and stripping. Most was done by hand with sandpaper and a drill and wire wheel for those stubborn areas. I took the frame, fender and sprocket to work and used the blast cabinet for the stuff that wouldnt come off (Heavy rust and crap)
It came with a 3.5 Briggs but can't feel any compression. I have another 3.5 I got with another project bike, but I might use a Honda clone I just picked up. Plenty to do before I make that decision; but for now here's some pics...

Last edited:
I love those wheels...

They're definitely inspired by the 'Invader' wheels handmade by chopper builders back in the day...

When I run across those old five-spokes, I always check the welds...MIG was scarce and expensive back then, and some of these old wheels have some scary stick-welds on them...

Just mentioning it because Fremont, Nebraska (home of Bird Mfg) is a tiny little town, not known for spawning great welders...

07D675

The bike is pretty cool and and I thought the wheels were from a bicycle until I did some googleing and found pictures of GTOs Bird. Which is how I became a forum member here in the first place. As far as the welds on the wheels go, the inside welds look pretty professional, but the frame looks like someone had a long lunch brake at the local watering hole. I'll fix it... 'cause I'm pretty picky and detail oriented. Too cold to paint for a while so I'll have ALOT of prep time...:wink:
And YES Oldman it does look like it's gonna be a fun ride. Thinking about the first ride gives me inspiration baby!!!
Ya know, Bought my first mini project in November and have since then acquired 2 others not including the new one I got my son for Christmas and 5 engines... Is ths normal????? Or am I asking the wrong crowd...:thumbsup:

delray

07D675,bird made some different looking wheels back in there day.
here are some pictures of my bird bike. rims were stamp out spoke wheels.
same size frame as yours but with full suspension and a fiberglass body.

Ya know, Bought my first mini project in November and have since then acquired 2 others not including the new one I got my son for Christmas and 5 engines... Is ths normal????? Or am I asking the wrong crowd...

This is perfectly normal behavior. In time youl'l have to expand the garage or build a second building to house them.:thumbsup:

This is perfectly normal behavior. In time youl'l have to expand the garage or build a second building to house them.

JimH,I just read your reply with my wife next to me and shes "OH NOing" me...LOL I just need to stay off of craigslist and ebay.
Nice bike Delray. First time I've ever seen stamped spoke wheels. I found (under a coat of paint) a manufacturer tag with the stamped serial# and date on it but the date is engraved on it and reads "YYE4". Can you or anyone else figure this date out? I tried to google it w/no good info.
Thanks...

delray

sorry i don't know the date codes? maybe the 4 is the year? that would of been right around the years they made that bike.

I have a front wheel like that on this one. The spokes look to be threaded into the rim and welded to the hub. On the rim flat between the bead and spokes, it has stamped SUN WARSAW IND. USA in very small letters. Probably about 3/32" tall. I'll have to look for #s now.

richs

delray those wheels look like they tried to copy the wheels off a rokon 340 auto dirtbike and the 5 spoke ones look like the ones i have on my rokon trailbreaker thats weared:drinkup::drinkup:

This is perfectly normal behavior. In time youl'l have to expand the garage or build a second building to house them.

JimH,I just read your reply with my wife next to me and shes "OH NOing" me...LOL I just need to stay off of craigslist and ebay.
Nice bike Delray. First time I've ever seen stamped spoke wheels. I found (under a coat of paint) a manufacturer tag with the stamped serial# and date on it but the date is engraved on it and reads "YYE4". Can you or anyone else figure this date out? I tried to google it w/no good info.
Thanks...
I haven't checked for numbers on my wheels, I did find a fox? frake with the same wheels for $50 but didn't call and the ad is gone, I should call the guy! :doah: BTW my bike and wheels are welded just fine and Bird made so many bikes that I'm sure they learned how to weld very well. My other bird/sears is solid as well.

07D675

Decided to put this on hold. I want to be able to paint the frame and wheels and let them cure in the sun. It's just too cold outside here in PA. to do that; and I'm not fortunate enough to own a heated paint booth. SOOOO. I decided to move forward with another project. I'll post that in another thread.
Still may be able to finish this one before May.....?:thumbsup: Just want it to be done right.

I have that same exact bike. Bought it this week. I have torn it down and I am working on the motor mostly. No painting done on it yet, not sure what to put on it colorwise. Mine was made by Bird and had a Sears tag on it. Mine has a white tank and white fenders and is 100% complete. It came with a 4hp tec motor. These are neat and very much like a Rupp Roadster hardtail.
When I can figure an easy way to post a pic I will. I used to ride minis in about 1970.
Rob

07D675

Ok, just ordered some wheel bearings for this project last night and a few odds and ends for the other bikes I have (fenders, throttle grips, clutch etc.)and HOPEFULLY I can get back to this project. My other build should be done by the weekend if I get time. I NEED THE WEATHER TO BREAK SO I CAN PAINT!!! :censure: I want it to cure in the sun.

Yeah, I don't see how you can do buil offs in bad wheather. :doah:

Robsbird, the HS40 Tec angine is what they came with so keep that engine and carb manifold! Mine has a 5HP but I got the original 4 HP with it (had broken manifold mount which I plan to fix. )