1/4 size Screaming Eagle Drag Project

C9H13NO3

This will be the log of my build of my drag bike. I have named it "The Screaming Eagle" as a tribute to the 101st Airborne division (which my Grandfather was a part of) since I am into WWI and WWII tactics and weaponry.

This is a picture from Hothead79, who I bought it from less the engine.

I have since sanded down all the welding residue and removed the brake setup for modification for a split sprocket (Thanks Yellowhand!).

When the bike is finished it will get the Screaming Eagle Insignia on the front, with an all black or maybe army green paintjob.

Last edited:
Nice Project ya got there C9. Don't forget to Post some Pics of your Progress for all to See, including Me. :wink: :thumbsup: :biggrin:

C9H13NO3

I'm glad someone said it first, that looks sketchy for sure. A good foundation for a go-fast bike though.:thumbsup:
Yeah, I am planning on doing that this weekend. What kind of gussets will I need? The frame was widened a few inches and I WILL NOT be stretching it. Instead I will be going with a very long wheeliebar and low down bars.

furyus

Very cool - I like the drag bike style. I'd like to build one someday if I ever get off this Rupp kick.

Definitely be following the build.

furyus

Just thought about something. When I gusset the rear axle mount will it be strong enough to also serve as a mount for my wheeliebar? I have a spot near the seat that the tabs for the wheelibar to mount, but none for the bottom half, and the bearing flange (??) Is the only good spot.

Got a little bit done today, I cut the old bars off 3" after the bend and then fishmouthed them and welded on a 22" straight bar. The bars are .125" thick black water pipe. Because it is 1/8 of an inch thick, I figured it would be fine. Let me know what you think on my using this pipe.

Here are before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Hey Nate, the bars look great. I do hope someone buys you a camera for Christmas though :laugh: Your pictures make me think my eyes are going bad sometime.

Oh and by the way "you're doing it wrong". The chain guard I sold you doesn't get mounted to the front tire.

Hey Nate, the bars look great. I do hope someone buys you a camera for Christmas though :laugh: Your pictures make me think my eyes are going bad sometime.

Oh and by the way "you're doing it wrong". The chain guard I sold you doesn't get mounted to the front tire.
Nah, it's not the camera, I brought the bike in from my shop (not heated and it is sub 32* out) and I was shivering like crazy:laugh:

I used the chain guard to hold the bike up since it has no kickstand:laugh:

I really liked the look of this bike but the way the rear wheel was mounted kept me away from it. The one question I have is since he heated and widened the rear rails, if the motor is in the stock location, will you be able to flip the clutch and make the chain line up with the rear sprocket?
The other thing I would suggest is whn mounting the rear wheelie bar, try using clevis ands and chassis tabs with quick pins. It makes it so much easier to remove them and store the bike when need be. Check out S&W Racecars S&W Race Car Dragster Chassis, Roll bars, Cages, Suspensions, Parts or Ed Quay Racecars ed Quay Race Cars for supply. I buy my tubing and mouting tabs from tghem and they are local.

I really liked the look of this bike but the way the rear wheel was mounted kept me away from it. The one question I have is since he heated and widened the rear rails, if the motor is in the stock location, will you be able to flip the clutch and make the chain line up with the rear sprocket?
The other thing I would suggest is whn mounting the rear wheelie bar, try using clevis ands and chassis tabs with quick pins. It makes it so much easier to remove them and store the bike when need be. Check out S&W Racecars S&W Race Car Dragster Chassis, Roll bars, Cages, Suspensions, Parts or Ed Quay Racecars ed Quay Race Cars for supply. I buy my tubing and mouting tabs from tghem and they are local.
The sprocket setup can be moved side to side so chain alignment isn't an issue. I haven't figured out the wheelie bar yet. I think I am going to mount the lower arms to the axle tabs but I am wondering if they would hold up.

Got a ton done this weekend. I got the frame gusseted, wheelie bar tabs welded on, and wheeliebar finished. I went with .125 thick 1.00" OD tubing from a supply store for the wheeliebar. The wheeliebar alone has 12+ hours of work into it since my compressor broke so I have no high speed cutter or angle grinder or high speed drill. This meant I had to use ALL hand tools, like they did in the old days (hand drill, hand saw (haven't used one of those in a LONG time, and use a saw to notch my tubing:hammer:) I'll post pics when I get them on my PC.