1 inch Brake Levers

I am looking for some replacement brake levers for this Super Bronc. I am tired of fighting what I think is a battle that cant be won. I need a lever with an adjuster on it. I just can not find a happy medium on this Super Bronc. Either they drag and lock or they don't work. I measured the distance on the brake lever from the pivot to the pull point and it is 1 inch. I measured the distance on the lever on the other SB (which works like it should) and it was 1 1/8 inch. It feels like a mile difference in the range of motion. I looked in the OldMiniBikes Warehouse and the levers there are exactly like what I have.

Any suggestions as to where or what to look for??? I would really like an adjustment barrel on the lever for that final fine adjustment.

Thanks,

Doug

Did you use the old brake band or a new one. I just had the same problem when I put a new band on mine. I just left it tight and by the time I made it to the end of the alley it adjusted its self to a happy medium.

I opted out of using and adjustment on the lever on my current build, because of what I am doing on the handle bars. Instead I used a brake step adjuster, long, for 1/4" cable and tapped a 5/16 thread into the retaining plate, and am using a jam nut. I have plenty of adjustment, and can fine tune there. (My Tote Gote has the same set up from the factory, so I chuckled when someone was explaining how they worked to me in my build thread) :wink:

So you have no cable adjustment at the brake where the cable is routed to the brake?
There are a few 1" levers on Ebay with adjusters, chrome, starting at about $30.

I didn't see one from OldMiniBikes, although they do sell just the adjuster for the lever.

I opted out of using and adjustment on the lever on my current build, because of what I am doing on the handle bars. Instead I used a brake step adjuster, long, for 1/4" cable and tapped a 5/16 thread into the retaining plate, and am using a jam nut. I have plenty of adjustment, and can fine tune there. (My Tote Gote has the same set up from the factory, so I chuckled when someone was explaining how they worked to me in my build thread) :wink:

So you have no cable adjustment at the brake where the cable is routed to the brake?
There are a few 1" levers on Ebay with adjusters, chrome, starting at about $30.

I didn't see one from OldMiniBikes, although they do sell just the adjuster for the lever.
Here is a shot of the levers on the bike. No adjuster and what seems like a very short travel. I will have to post a pic of the brake assembly as there is no where to mount and adjuster on that end at all. Well I could fabricate something elaborate but I don't think it is worth the effort.

I will post a picture of the lever on the other SB.

Doug

Last edited:
Did you use the old brake band or a new one. I just had the same problem when I put a new band on mine. I just left it tight and by the time I made it to the end of the alley it adjusted its self to a happy medium.
This is the brake band that is original to the bike and has effectively never truly worked. It looks brand new. Thus the reason, in my humble opinion, for the low mileage.

Either the lever travels all the way to the grip and there are little to no brakes or the lever has the proper travel where it stops short of the grip and the brakes are way to tight. They will self engage when you try to roll the bike. And you cant ride it at all I have tried...

I think the lever ratio is wrong. The lever pivot to the cable pull is 1 inch on the red SB and the lever on the green SB is 1 1/8th inch from pivot to cable. It feels like it has twice the travel of the short levers. And the brakes flat work on the green SB.

Doug

Last edited:
Here is a pick of the lever on the green SB. It feels totally different than the levers on the red SB. A lot longer travel. Doesn't come close to bottoming out.

A close up of the lever on the Super Bronc I am trying to fix the brake on.

Here is a close up of the brake band and the difference in adjustment between the 2. The red bike is at the point that the lever just stops before bottoming out on the grip. and the band drags and self engages. The green bike has all the travel in the lever and stops and operates as it should. Not even close to bottoming out on the grip. The red bike has wires on the brake light switch and the green bike does not have wires on the switch.

I honestly believe that all the issue is with the brake levers on the red bike.

Thanks for looking,

Doug

David I just posted the brake levers and the brake band adjustment pictures. What do you think?

I think the short travel of the lever on the red bike is proven by how tight the band has to be to not bottom out the lever on the grip.

And I think that the lever on the green bike has a lot more travel as indicated by the added brake band travel.

I think levers will fix my problem. Plus give me a finite adjustment at the lever.

Doug

This might sound like dumb thing to do. This was said to me by the master of heald bikes Ron Kimball. Put 3 drops of oil surface of the drum. Only 3 drops no more. Squeeze the brake and it will wear in. No more grabbing.

This might sound like dumb thing to do. This was said to me by the master of heald bikes Ron Kimball. Put 3 drops of oil surface of the drum. Only 3 drops no more. Squeeze the brake and it will wear in. No more grabbing.
Thank you sir! It does seem like the wrong thing to do... Oiling brakes. But if it works then I am all for it. I will try it and post the results.

What type of oil? Motor oil?

Doug

Thank you sir! It does seem like the wrong thing to do... Oiling brakes. But if it works then I am all for it. I will try it and post the results.

What type of oil? Motor oil?

Doug
Ron never really said. 3 drops of oil. SAE 30. It is the front of the band grabbing. Ron said 4 drops is to much.

I am looking for some replacement brake levers for this Super Bronc...I measured the distance on the brake lever from the pivot to the pull point and it is 1 inch...
Is the OP looking for a brake lever w/a 1" throw, or one to fit a 1" diameter handle bar? Or both? :confused:

Is the OP looking for a brake lever w/a 1" throw, or one to fit a 1" diameter handle bar? Or both? :confused:
1 inch bar Tom. I think that I have found what I am looking for between Dave and Andy giving me links. Do you have something in mind? I am always open to suggestions.

Doug

Here is a pick of the lever on the green SB. It feels totally different than the levers on the red SB. A lot longer travel. Doesn't come close to bottoming out.

A close up of the lever on the Super Bronc I am trying to fix the brake on.

Here is a close up of the brake band and the difference in adjustment between the 2. The red bike is at the point that the lever just stops before bottoming out on the grip. and the band drags and self engages. The green bike has all the travel in the lever and stops and operates as it should. Not even close to bottoming out on the grip. The red bike has wires on the brake light switch and the green bike does not have wires on the switch.

I honestly believe that all the issue is with the brake levers on the red bike.

Thanks for looking,

Doug
Try swapping the levers from one bike to the other. See if it makes a difference.

Try swapping the levers from one bike to the other. See if it makes a difference.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo..................................... I have levers coming........... I have measured both of them and the difference in travel is huge. I have some coming like the one on the green bike. Like Dave said, they have travel.

I really don't want to take the green bike apart to cannibalize parts and I don't want to mess with the brakes on the red bike without making it permanent. I will have levers & cables in a few days and then I can fix it once and for all.

What's the latest on the battery boxes?

Doug