12V Electric Starter on an Hs50.

Finally got around to messing with the new build. I want a bike with lights, but also electric start. That leaves out the traditional Hs40 aluminum flywheel and lighting coil since there are no starter gear teeth.
I was able to get a charging coil/lighting coil and flywheel, but is is iron and has the non-points ignition.
It does supposedly have both AC for lights, and DC to charge a battery, which i would need for the starter anyways.
I'm betting i need some sort of voltage regulator on the DC side but i have no idea which one lol.

I used the wiring harness from an old lawn tractor that i got rid of early in the year.
Got out the old test light and volt meter and was able to figure out the wiring, was pretty easy.

The starter does clear the frame, it's pretty close though.

mustangfrank

Finally got around to messing with the new build. I want a bike with lights, but also electric start. That leaves out the traditional Hs40 aluminum flywheel and lighting coil since there are no starter gear teeth.
I was able to get a charging coil/lighting coil and flywheel, but is is iron and has the non-points ignition.
It does supposedly have both AC for lights, and DC to charge a battery, which i would need for the starter anyways.
I'm betting i need some sort of voltage regulator on the DC side but i have no idea which one lol.

I used the wiring harness from an old lawn tractor that i got rid of early in the year.
Got out the old test light and volt meter and was able to figure out the wiring, was pretty easy.

The starter does clear the frame, it's pretty close though.

Got a picture of the alternator/coil you have?

mustangfrank

I'd have to find a picture, i might have one somewhere. But it has the external ignition coil, and where the points housing bolts up, it has 2 coils behind the flywheel.

I think it's this one:
If it's that one with that connector, no regulator required for battery charging. I have a couple of those, they are a full ring with 6 of the 10 towers (coils) wrapped though. When you say "2 coils", I'm picturing the 18W AC 611111 quarter round unit.

If it's that one with that connector, no regulator required for battery charging. I have a couple of those, they are a full ring with 6 of the 10 towers (coils) wrapped though. When you say "2 coils", I'm picturing the 18W AC 611111 quarter round unit.
Thanks, i was wrong about the 2 coils. It's a full ring like you said.
Thanks for the info about the regulator!
Do you know if there is supposed to be a diode in that harness?
Thanks

mustangfrank

Thanks, i was wrong about the 2 coils. It's a full ring like you said.
Thanks for the info about the regulator!
Do you know if there is supposed to be a diode in that harness?
Thanks
Yeah, it shows it on the picture you posted too...diode in the red DC wire. PN is 611104 for the alternator assy. Are you using the big Tecumseh manual for alternator info? Use the Quick Reference Manual, it has WAY more info on all the alternators, including part numbers and wiring diagrams.