13 hp doodlebug rebuild. The doodle demon

I've had this doodlebug for 10 years now. I bought it new and after a few months I put a 6.5 predator (greyhound at the time) aside from mutilating the engine plate, throwing a can of flat black paint on it ,a couple sets of tires,and no brakes ( immediately burnt up) that's how I ran it for years.i convinced several of my friends to get minibikes and they all put in brand new 6.5 predators. My motor was getting tired and their bikes were staring to smoke mine. Last year I came across the deal of a lifetime on Craigslist for a brand new in the box 13 hp predator for under $100. I jumped on it. after a few runs with the motor slapped on crooked and throwing chains all over the place I realized this thing needed help. I've decided to do a full rebuild to make his motor fit right and to give this thing a serious makeover. Enter the doodle demon! Fab work, torque converter, jackshaft, sprockets, hydraulic brakes, and a hand built seat. I will try to post the updates as they happen. I have most of the parts and have started a few things over the last few weeks. Let me know what you think. Also this is my first post on my first forum.

Thanks raskin. That was surprisingly my first attempt at upholstery. I didn't think to add springs! I bet that would make for a much smoother ride. I kinda like the look of it as is but we'll see how bad that thin seat beats me up after I get it running. I still have to weld in a mount for the front of the seat. Maybe I'll make it more of a plate than a bar so I can ad a hinge later. That metal is just 1/16 inch stainless I had laying around. I put it there because the way I had the exhaust routed before it melted the old plastic seatpan. I figured it may work a bit as a heat sheild and it covers up the staples.

Last edited:
Wow! Great thread. How does the 13hp fit in there? I barely have any clearance with my 6.5.
He had to remove the stock fuel tank and muffler box to get it in there. He will no doubt be running a remote tank and an aftermarket header pipe/muffler. Scroll back to his first posts/photos and you can see it set into the frame.
Michael

Awesome build! Can't wait to see more.

I'm going the power, not speed route. Using a big (heavy) 4 stroke opposed twin. Has mechanical fuel pump, oil pump (even gauge), and 2 1/2 quart sump! Naming mine "Doodle-Thug" :wink:
DSC06176.JPG FM1.jpg FM8.jpg

Last edited: