18lb Valve Springs With Stock Cam?

Hello,

I noticed that my stock Hs50 seems to float the valves around 3800 RPM. Bike has billet rod and 22mm Chikuni, straight pipe header.
I have a spare set of 18lb valve springs and the automotive style retainers.

Would installing the heavier springs allow me to get som more revs out of the engine even with the stock cam? Or would the springs be too much for the stock cam and wear the cam?

Thanks for any advice.

delray

18 will still work , assuming you are still using the correct modified dyno retainers and keepers from a flathead briggs and the 18 pound spring are animal springs. 16 pound animal springs would be the best for a stock hs-cam. when setup right with good carb and header that cam will pull good up to 4700+ rpm's
all day...….:scooter:
also think your stock valve springs shouldn't be floating at 3800, unless they are very weak and old? but either way stock springs are not good insurances when it comes to revving the motor,also little zinc additive won't hurt either.

18 will still work , assuming you are still using the correct modified dyno retainers and keepers from a flathead briggs and the 18 pound spring are animal springs. 16 pound animal springs would be the best for a stock hs-cam. when setup right with good carb and header that cam will pull good up to 4700+ rpm's
all day...….:scooter:
also think your stock valve springs shouldn't be floating at 3800, unless they are very weak and old? but either way stock springs are not good insurances when it comes to revving the motor,also little zinc additive won't hurt either.
Yes Delray I am using the modified Dyno retainers and keepers. Stock springs are indeed old and prob weak.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!