1956 Mustang Pony

sonerenos

I had these two George Barris Mini Draggers sitting around in my garage waiting to do something with them for YEARS, when I got a photo text message of a Mustang Pony motorcycle or scooter (whichever you prefer) about a year ago. The gentleman that sent me the photo of the Mustang knew I was into them, but didn't know I would do just about anything to get my dirty paws on one of them. Just like every kid that grew up in that era, that knew about a Mustang Motorcycle, wanted to ride and own one for themselves. I was born in 1991 so don't get me mistaken for someone of that era. Well when the opportunity arose my direction I jumped, those Barris Mini Draggers along with all the parts I had for them went into the truck and I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me to the middle of nowhere. Below are the photos I received from Kenny who offered this bike to me. I should have saved the pictures of the Barris bikes I traded him, they were pretty sweet. I couldn't move fast enough to get this bike home though.

Attachments

sonerenos

After getting the bike home I really started to check this thing out. Ive never been able to see one in person before, only online or in magazines. I know I needed to find some parts for it that I didn't receive when making the deal, but I wasn't too worried about it at that point in time because I had the bike. Honestly, the bike wasn't missing as much as I figured. Below are the photos I took of what it looked like when I finally got the bike into the garage. I know the blue paint was not an original color, but the head tube decal threw me off being a dealership decal. I couldn't find much information on "Dale Brown Motors of Long Beach California" which just so happens to be the next town North of me. I did take some good photos of the decal, or whats left of it so I can recreate it eventually knowing it has to be on the bike for a reason.

Attachments

sonerenos

After talking with people about this SCORE of mine, I was told "good luck finding the rest of the parts to complete that build". I was then on the hunt to prove people wrong, which I really enjoy doing. I found this gentleman named Dave who lives on the other side Huntington Beach from me, and Dave is a retired Mustang Motorcycle enthusiast. He has a garage full of NOS and used parts to rebuild and restore Mustangs. He has completed restored and UN-restored Mustangs in his backyard shed. I found the jackpot! I spent a few hours with Dave going over my bike and making a list of the items I needed to complete the bike. I came back a few weeks later with a pocket full of cash and left with a box full of parts. I came back again with another pocket full of cash a few weeks later and left again with another box full of parts. I was making progress slowly. After having enough parts to accomplish my goal of bringing this bike back to life, I was talked into tearing it down to restore it. I discovered the motor mounts were not aligned and have been re welded. I also found a crack in the frame which was brazed, below are those photos.

Attachments

sonerenos

I then sent the bike off to a friend of mine who could fix the frame for me. I was in no hurry to get it back, but a few months went by and then a few more, and then I became eager to put the bike together as the weather permitted. I knew the bike was safe, but had not been worked on since I left it in another persons possession. I convinced my buddy to gain control and he fixed the crack in the frame by heating the tubing and melting the brass, then filled the crack with weld. The motor mounts were still off by 1/16" and he couldn't fix the mounts without the engine. I figured "great, another year but now he has the engine. Whats next, the rest of the parts and I'm out a dream, LOL". Fortunately I was able to get the bike fixed that weekend and picked back up. Below are the photos of the bare frame with the engine installed with aligned motor mounts.

Attachments

sonerenos

Now the bike is back and I have majority of the parts to start building this thing again. I decided to put it back together to ride it before restoring so I can spend more time restoring it properly without the urge to ride it. I need a few more items from Dave, which I am not in a hurry this time around. I spent the morning installing what I could without any hand tools. I still need to work on the other fork lower I bought, but once i do that i can make it a roller. Here is how the 'stang sits currently. Maybe I'll spend some time on it tonight.

Attachments

sonerenos

Cool bike, Does it have 2 gas tanks or just 1 tank 2 caps?
Its one tank, a split tank, with two outlets, one in front and one in rear that keep them together and allow the fuel to go to either side. I know only one cap was original, someone was most likely tired of how long it took to fill the tank and put another cap on the other side. They did a goof job, but I think I'm going to buy another tank from Dave.

Attachments

sonerenos

still LOTS to do, but here is how she sits for now. Decided to get some NEW tanks and fenders. Front fender i have to make the brackets for and the rear fender i havent installed the brackets yet. got most of the parts i have purchased mocked up. I have a buddy interested in my manco delta chopper as a partial trade on restoring this bike for me, getting the paint and chrome done and then putting it back together. He thinks he should be able to get a grip on the engine and gearbox. one day ill be able to start it and take it for a rip down PCH.

IMG_2661 (002).jpg IMG_2662 (002).jpg IMG_2663 (002).jpg IMG_2664 (002).jpg 61479963963__8218B0F1-F72C-429C-B037-1E7DB521447E (002).JPG 61479964925__D85AA5F2-2C7B-4B9B-94AF-E6F8C7F9208A (002).JPG

sonerenos

i also came across a picture of one of the barris mini draggers i traded. the other was in the same shape but had the sissy bar cut off. fortunately i was able to get him another sissy bar to weld on. gave him some NOS sprockets and some other odds and ends to sweeten the deal. Kenny is a good buddy of mine, i hope to see him do something with the bikes. he is an avid cat collector, but is into the hot rod scene so the barris bikes fit in the collection well.

IMG_7448 (002).jpg