1959 speedmobile

How does the drive work? Is is a belt drive and you tension the belt to get it to move? My neighbors would shoot me after 2 minutes of driving it on my street. It's real kewl!

Not a clue, I went as far as a little oil and and starting fluid just to make sure it fired. Ran it just briefly and buttoned it back up. I would say its not a powerhouse by any means. I'm not gonna bother to go any further at this point, its a museum piece the way it sits, if a buyer wants me to redo the carb for service well find out at that time, but I don't want to go scratching things up etc..

that one is the "tom Thumb Kart" thread, while its quite the fixer upper thats what I was after when I bought this one, I had to buy everything though in order to get it.

Heres the original speed mobile artwork that under the seatback, Dunno if I can get all the glue off without compromising the paint though:

All dusted and now listed on local CL:
Hi I am fixing up the same go-kart and I have some questions. Do you know who owns this kart?

Thanks.

Attachments

markus

Hi I am fixing up the same go-kart and I have some questions. Do you know who owns this kart?

Thanks.

not a clue, I left it with the classic car museum/consignment place and never looked back. I dunno if they sold it or kept it. there is another one in sweaty shape on craigslist here in FL I think the Tampa area, hope they have better luck than I did, they are not something anyone wants to pay any money for. Had I known I was going to have to give it away to get rid of it, I would have converted it to some pneumatic tires and a just a 4 stroke vertical engine and just had some fun with it. That little PP 2 smoke screamed and made a whole lot of noise, but only went jogging speeds and rode terrible on those hard rubber wheels!

Thank you for the tips - or words of caution. I think I'll bypass the full restoration and at least get it running. My kids are thinking they will fly down the street. I will let them know that jogging is more the speed. Plan B is to mount a 5HP horizontal drive wood chipper engine we have salvaged. I'll look at the pneumatic tires as well.

Addicted 2 Minis

Just stumbled on this thread, that thing is pretty cool!, don't know why nobody hit on it. It's like a step above a soap box derby car, reminds me of a re-purposed bed frame combined with an old lawn mower engine and some dolly wheels!.

Guys,

Old thread that I stumbled across doing research on this kart. Anyone familiar with it? David Bradley? midge1.jpg

Online info states that serial number 187806 crosses to late 30's early 40's Briggs WI. Engine part number is Sears 500.95828

Kart says "Midge Mobile" model 5350

Any help is appreciated.