1960/61 caper cycle

markus

Bought this caper cycle fixer upper off another member a few months ago:

While its not pretty its actually really solid not rusted out or anything but does have 2 major issues, one is the rear sprocket is sawbladed out bad ( I am working on that still) and he other was it had been cracked or modded and rewelded and very badly near the back of the engine plate:

Got it here and kinda let it sit for awhile but I started to do a little work on it.

After cleanup you could see that it looked like they sleeved and pinned it but when I cut it open there was nothing there except some goober weld and grease :laugh: the right side was spaced out almost 1/4" which put the jackshaft cockeyed a little so I had to twist the frame back into shape after I cut it apart. I went ahead and cut most of the bottom out to get rid of the extra holes drilled for the pins that do nothing and also just get rid off the welds where the engine plate sat so I could get the plate cut off with minimal cut marks on the plate with the cut off tool.

I made up most of what I needed last night and started fitting it back together, I made some solid slugs for the lower section, hopefully that will help if that rear area is prone to cracking for some reason. I do need to go out and get some material for the front tube....I forgot that the downtube and footbar is 7/8" tubing and not 3/4 like the rear section of the bike :laugh: but it should come together pretty good:

Almost forgot, I was not sure if the that big honkin' seat was original teardrop shape/measurements or not. While doing whatever I could for research I noticed it was mentioned that Kenny had redone some of the seats of past members capers and had used an original seat for patterns so I got with him to be safe since he had the pattern on hand, I did have him knock some height out of it though!!!!!

Turns out the pan of my seat was correct shape, Kenny's seat matched the shape just about perfect....actually I wish it would have been a little smaller. I don't like the seat much at all, Even cut down height its still a pretty big seat for the frame.

markus

Thanks everyone. Steve, not sure what to power it with yet, I have a Power products AH61 that could use a home but I have to verify it will fit and clear the header alright (it may sit to low), All the white boxes in the background under the bench are overstuffed with Briggs 3hp engines/parts though and I do have a really neat 1960 pressed logo shroud so I am half tempted to build it like it was sort of........all these years of trying to get a small authentic kart engine powered bike and now I am leaning toward the briggs for it :laugh:

markus

Kenny B (I cant remember names to save my life:doah:), think his name on here is KB8ball or something like that, hes on here from time to time but not to often anymore but you can usually find his info if you do some searching on here as he made alot of seats for people a few years back.