1960s HOT SHOT MINI BIKE

Hot Shot Restoration

Here are some photos of my Hot Shot restoration, the blue bike was what i got, the orange is finished, i have a 340 JLO that will go in later this spring thanks to my buddy Salty in Wisconsin. The orange was its original color, discovered after removing multiple other colors.

I am still working on the seat, that was my first attempt, I am working on the tuck and roll version. i learn so much on this restoration, I actually made that clutch cover using polyester cloth and resin and used the old part and made a mold. I have some clutch covers available for purchase if someone needs one. As you can see they are very nice. I did a lot of research including talking to the relatives of the WaCal group. I have another one that i am starting next month. Here is the original bike, it has a 230 JLO.

Lol. A front brake on a twister would be crazy, I have 2 twisters and they are not stable to begin with! Front brake, wow, I think you would be on your butt.

It would be easy to add one I think. The drum is just welded to the rim and the brake pad housing is welded to the axle shaft. AZUSA sells the assembly for around 100 bucks.

Hey thanks, I still owe a picture of my 5hp twister and now that I know how to post pictures thanks to Tim W. I will. Funny how KC57 has a burr up his butt and won't comment even though I see he is looking. He is all bent that I did not buy his 340 and decided to terminate our friendship because of it. Sorry KC57 but you need to grow up and drop the drama. I thought you were more mature than that, guess not. J

delray

bike looks real nice,not bad with the briggs motor on it. glad to see tom could help you out. if i am correct that motor came on snowmobiles too ?
the rims are dime a dozen at are local swapmeets. if i am correct on this, they are 12" trailer rims from the 60's and 70's also came in a 4 lug bolt pattern. trailmate minibike use the 4 lug setup.
that steel replacement tank is perfect on that bike. that would also be perfect on a larger baja minibike that comes with a fake tank.
but most of the guys here would rather put some f...up motorcycle tank on there bike. sorry guys but thats the truth.

bike looks cool..........:scooter:

When I got the hot shot it had some honked up huge difference tank and seat on it, all of it ended up in the trash. Lots of welded on brackets that I had to remove and correct ones added back. That tank is a hap jones wassell replica that after much research I was able to sort it out and buy it online. I had some nice long discussions with Dean Callahan's (one of the originators) son Mitch. Three different coats of paint. I would to know where it's been.

I thought I'd post a couple pics of a Tote Gote R750 with a JLO 340 motor. This motor was unusual because the carb is on front and exhaust goes out the back. It is a JLO 340 MF ( made for a Massey Ferguson snowmobile). This is as far as I am with this project. I am going to use a Tilloson HR carb instead of the bulky Walbro that came with the motor and hope to get an expansion chamber exhaust. The Tote gote frame had a few special little 'bends' to allow the JLO to fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

chrisr

Here are some photos of my Hot Shot restoration, the blue bike was what i got, the orange is finished, i have a 340 JLO that will go in later this spring thanks to my buddy Salty in Wisconsin. The orange was its original color, discovered after removing multiple other colors.
The front brake would be nice backup due to a chain failure, mine does not have the front brake or the middle support tube from the lower to upper part of the frame.

chrisr

I thought I'd post a couple pics of a Tote Gote R750 with a JLO 340 motor. This motor was unusual because the carb is on front and exhaust goes out the back. It is a JLO 340 MF ( made for a Massey Ferguson snowmobile). This is as far as I am with this project. I am going to use a Tilloson HR carb and hope to get an expansion chamber exhaust. The Tote gote frame had a few special little 'bends' to allow the JLO to fit.
That is a cool looking gote!

delray

jophisaz, what was the original torque converter setup on theses bikes.

Richard Trotter
This motor was unusual because the carb is on front and exhaust goes out the back. It is a JLO 340 MF ( made for a Massey Ferguson snowmobile).
interesting, i thought i have seen them before on vintage snowmobile before and just the motors for sale too at my local swapmeets. whats the hp's on them?