1961/62 Caper cycle

markus

Did do a lot of framework to this a few years ago but since I can't find or fix some of the original brake pieces I am most likely going to have some more framework in order to fit some upgrades/changes. 1961/62 Caper Cycle from Walla Walla Washington. West bend 700 with some upgrades, and now looks like it will be getting a 6" wheel at least in the rear (you would see this version frame both ways), so I think I may go big in the back little in the front (but raise the axle mounts to keep the bike level) which will give it a look more like other bikes made at the same time. This will increase my brake size by 1" and my sprocket to ground clearance about the same Probably will use a set of factory flash chromed Fox wheel hubs to do the conversion, with a late model (1969-71) Bonanza steel brake backing plate as I can make that looks like the 5" brake caper used.

IMG_1614.JPG

Will try to find a home for the Rod & Custom magazine decal on it somewhere as a tribute to the 1961 Tiny Bear run, the caper boys did pretty well (pictured bottom left) and also did sponsor some trophy's along with the other usual suspects of the day like Bug, Bill Matthews, and Steen's
IMG_1617 (Medium).JPG

Did do a lot of framework to this a few years ago but since I can't find or fix some of the original brake pieces I am most likely going to have some more framework in order to fit some upgrades/changes. 1961/62 Caper Cycle from Walla Walla Washington. West bend 700 with some upgrades, and now looks like it will be getting a 6" wheel at least in the rear (you would see this version frame both ways), so I think I may go big in the back little in the front (but raise the axle mounts to keep the bike level) which will give it a look more like other bikes made at the same time. This will increase my brake size by 1" and my sprocket to ground clearance about the same Probably will use a set of factory flash chromed Fox wheel hubs to do the conversion, with a late model (1969-71) Bonanza steel brake backing plate as I can make that looks like the 5" brake caper used.

View attachment 255440

Will try to find a home for the Rod & Custom magazine decal on it somewhere as a tribute to the 1961 Tiny Bear run, the caper boys did pretty well (pictured bottom left) and also did sponsor some trophy's along with the other usual suspects of the day like Bug, Bill Matthews, and Steen's
View attachment 255441
Bill Lind homebuilt with a Westbend 580
Must have been a winner, ha!

What is going on in the top picture of the magazine article? Cant figure out if it’s a pile up, some crazy LeMans type start, or what. Looks like a hoot, though! Minibike shenanigans are timeless. Your bike’ll be a fitting tribute to that day.
Thanks for sharing.

markus

What is going on in the top picture of the magazine article? Cant figure out if it’s a pile up, some crazy LeMans type start, or what. Looks like a hoot, though! Minibike shenanigans are timeless. Your bike’ll be a fitting tribute to that day.
Thanks for sharing.
It was like a "boot start" all thier boots got put in a pile and mixed up and they had to race to them, find the boots, get them on, and then go race. they had like field meet type races and hare scrambles going on. I love how the bikes are just tossed arpound on thier sides....like you would with a motovox today :D