1963 Cougar Research "100" mini bike info needed.

markus

I thought I had seen an actual photo or another member having one of these but maybe not :shrug: Member Apekillman is hooking me up with one he found recently and its making its way from PA down here to FL. Its a fixer-upper but for sure but does not appear to have been buggered up too bad over the years, I see some extra holes drilled here and there but nothing really out of the ordinary......well this bike is far from ordinary but nothing that cougar didn't do anyway :laugh:

Anyway if anyone has one or at least seen an actual photo and not the old write-ups or advertisments that are online for them would love to see it for reference!!!

very good scan on the 1963 review/writeup thanks to the us scooter museum :thumbsup:

Hounddog

Hey Markus, That looks very cool. Rubber mounted suspension, probably just smooths things out a bit. Please post some picks when yours gets home! Nice find!:thumbsup: HD

markus

Hey Markus, That looks very cool. Rubber mounted suspension, probably just smooths things out a bit. Please post some picks when yours gets home! Nice find!:thumbsup: HD
The suspension could end up being the hard part :doah: Although I think they are just rubber isolation mounts. there is only some remains of one of them left on the bike and that's what it at least resembles. So when it gets here I will see if I can match them up, if not I may be screwed!!!!!

Some shots he sent me of the bike, check out the front tire, I believe its a very early Carlisle.

The bike calls for Generals, I just scored one NOS 4.10x3.50 6 correct jumbo jr. like in the brochure last week so I am halfway there on the tires at least :laugh: Powerplant for it however will be a different story!

markus

I think MSC has a few different hardness of the mounts Vibration Isolators | MSCDirect.com as for the WB 610 I have one i would part with Ken
thanks for that link, I like the way the specs are listed compered to some of the other ones I was looking at, should make it eiaser to match or come close. Far as engine, I'm a looong way off on that, as long as I dont have to have one to redo the roller I'll hold of for awhile, I'm broke as a joke right now :laugh:

thank you

markus

The cougar has landed, showed up yesterday afternoon. Apeman packed it real well and it arrived safely (thanks man :thumbsup:) This bike is a Tank! Its built really strong, and actually large in size for an early 60's bike. Plenty of room on this one for a 6'+ adult and not be cramped.

This bike looks crusty/rough but its not nearly as bad as it looks, other than a few holes drilled and fuel tank straps removed it appears unaltered. The forks need a little work to get them straight again (got some of it worked out already) but other than that it should not be too challenging. Grease was king and alot of the crust appears to be build up of it and dirt from over the years.

Looking at the serial number its 0011 I'll go out on a limb and say that it probably is the 11th one they made, even thoguht these made it to the mags for test rides/reviews I doubt very many were made.

while checking out the remains of the "suspension" they are what I thought they were, rubber isolator mounts made by Lord, which are date stamped one is later 1962 and the other is jan 1963, They have the Erie PA marking as well which at the time Lord was headquartered there, and that is also where this bike was made. Unfortunately the part numbers dont mesh with current numbers so I may try calling Lord as they have a helpline to see if they can help with what version of this current made isolator is going to hold up the best.

Just some other shots of it for reference

looking at the sales adds, they offered it with either the larger West bends or a Lauson 3.5hp. I checked fitment of a couple engines here and it will fit most anything, they get centered in this frame, My Power Products AH61 that's opposite rotation even fits well, although looks very tiny in it because the frame is tall.

Definitely and odd bike!

Very cool bike Mark! I'm sure you will do it justice even if it does take a couple years. :laugh: Interesting how the triple trees are different top to bottom. How does the steering feel while sitting on it?

markus

Very cool bike Mark! I'm sure you will do it justice even if it does take a couple years. :laugh: Interesting how the triple trees are different top to bottom. How does the steering feel while sitting on it?
I havent put wheels on it and tried it but it looks odd as you turn it, but the bottom plates are catching your eye as well. I think when its all together it puts the center of the wheel in line though. Earls type forks usually make a bend back to center everything out, its usually done on the lowers not the plates though.

markus

Pressure cleaned it a bit, can see more of the OG blue now, not much but some :laugh: welded up the holes that were drilled in a few spots, and found some isolators for the "suspension"

Its pretty springy! travels about as much as the lacking shocks/suspension used on any other mini bike actually.

That bike is pretty cool. I bet that is #11. I'm surprised more of those haven't showed up in this area. We are not that far from Erie, PA. You will have some fun with that bike.:thumbsup:

markus

Last night I dug through the scrap heap and pulled out the remains of a Steen's/hodaka scrambler that didn't quite make it, I cut the front of what remained of the frame off which I can use for new fork lowers for this bike. I tried and tried and I just cant get the lowers true with the equipment I have at least so I am going to sleeve new lower sections in.......

I cut the brake pedal mount out and saved the pedal too, might make for a good custom pedal on a bike :shrug:

george3

very odd bike never seen one. the triple trees are an odd style to take some of the rake out of it. I wonder if it is to stabilize it better? So what weight did you go on the vibration dampeners? I was tyhinking about 75lbs ea.

hey markus, just stumbled on this post (i don't usually check out other threads outside of general talk). glad you got everything without hassle. it most certainly is an odd bike. I'm now constantly in search of others for parts.

on the suspension....... do the center bolts actually connect the swing arm to the frame? that doesn't seem like it would allow for very much travel distance.

markus

Found another article on this bike from Karting world:

George I actually just hit the "easy" button and ordered a bag of those isolators off ebay. they didn't list ratings. They had 2 in this size and the other was just listed as "soft" so I got I guess the harder ones :laugh: I'd still like to get with Lord and see what they have to say. I just spotted these on ebay and they were cheap enough to just get them here and get the bike on its feet so I could get a better idea of what I have to do to get it going.

Ape, not sure what you mean by center bolts, the swingarm is connected to the frame via the jackshaft like my general appliance bike is, its supported via some bearings:

They used 2 isolator mounts per side, the bolts dont go all the way through those so the rubber stretches and is only really limited by how much they will stretch. It does not seem like it would move much but it does move and travel pretty well. and it feels just like if it had a pair of shocks on the back. Kinda cool how they did it they slotted the holes on the frame and for mounts for the isolators, so if you have to service/change them (I am guessing that would be pretty regularly if you rode this thing hard) you just loosen them up and rotate the arm down. arm side is still easy to get to with the wheel assys on as well so easy to service.

Ooohhhhhh, I get it now. I think. The mounting bolts for the isolators don't go all the way thru? There are two bolts anchored in each rubber isolator? I thought there was just one bolt with two male ends going thru each ISO. That's what I meant by the center bolt.