1963 Rupp dart

copyman

Hi

What is something like this worth or a fair price range? seller said completely restored to original condition. Only thing not original is seat should be white and rubber foot pegs? And of course the red starter assembly should be white
Thanks

Attachments

We don't give values here per forum rules. They do bring some decent money and are some what desireable.. Clutch guard is important. You can get the correct seat for a couple hundred. Rubber covers for the foot pegs are available. The throttle should be a dellorto to be original. I can't tell from that photo.

copyman

Ok. Didn't know about that rule. This is why I said a price range. Not sure what harm could be in telling someone "they have seen them sell anywhere from $xxxx to $xxxx". It could prevent a fellow member from getting ripped off! Oh well rules are rules.

Thanks for the information about the seat, etc.

copyman

Of course what someone is willing to pay can be said about anything. Not sure how that would cause fights but I'm new to all of this. I'm thinking mini bikes are a fun hobby and can't think of any reason to fight over anything. You could tell me my bike is worth $10 and I would just laugh.
The longer I'm here the more I see how serious people take this mini bike stuff. I'm just getting into since I'm nearing retirement and looking for something to do that I enjoy.
Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Lizardking

Best thing to do is Google the bike and look at ebay for those bikes and see what they have sold for. Mini bike collecting is as serious as classic car collecting! Like Manchester1 said, depending on what's wrong or missing it will affect the value for serious collectors. Even though it's called a "Hobby" it can get expensive once you turn it into collecting.

Addicted 2 Minis

Of course what someone is willing to pay can be said about anything. Not sure how that would cause fights but I'm new to all of this. I'm thinking mini bikes are a fun hobby and can't think of any reason to fight over anything. You could tell me my bike is worth $10 and I would just laugh.
The longer I'm here the more I see how serious people take this mini bike stuff. I'm just getting into since I'm nearing retirement and looking for something to do that I enjoy.
Anyway thanks for the heads up.
Completely "Restored" is a term that is used very loosely amongst builders and greatly affects what the total "Worth" is. When someone says "The only thing that's not original is...", then it's "Not" completely restored to its "Original" condition now is it?. This being said, if someones said it's "Worth" $4,500.00 and you went out and spent that on it only to find out that all the high dollar parts that make it "Worth" $4,500.00 were missing, you'd be pretty mad. These were also sold under the Sears name, someone could have taken a Sears bike and altered it to a Dart bike which may or may not affect value but if you found it was altered after someone told you it was original, again, you would be pretty upset. The first thing I look at when considering a "Restored" bike are the tires. Period correct tires are one of the hardest things to get seeing how they are the most consumable item that is no longer being produced. For example, a period correct set of NOS Goodyear tires for this bike will cost you about $350-$400 while a fresh set from the hardware store cost $50. When considering any big purchase that you are unfamiliar with, take lots of detailed pictures, ask questions, especially to the seller. If the seller says "It's worth $4,500.00", ask him/her "What makes it worth that much?. Then do a lot of research on those particular items. To serious collectors, it's all about the smalls, these are the things that set apart a truly "Restored" bike. Take for instance, someone is selling a Lil Indian mini bike and claims it to have the original brake caliper. Is it original to the bike? or an original part?, is it period correct?. There are many different variances of calipers offered throughout a models history, they all fit/function the same but it may not be the period correct part.

As for the rule of not giving "Values", the biggest reason I would say this rule exists is to keep people who are serious about the hobby here rather than people just using up members time so someone could get a benchmark "Worth" so they could list it for sale, never to be seen or heard from again. Hopefully you do stick around, if your first interest is this Dart Cycle, you have exceptional taste in mini bikes and get my vote!. Good luck, welcome to the site and most of all, have fun!.

-A2M

copyman

Completely "Restored" is a term that is used very loosely amongst builders and greatly affects what the total "Worth" is. When someone says "The only thing that's not original is...", then it's "Not" completely restored to its "Original" condition now is it?. This being said, if someones said it's "Worth" $4,500.00 and you went out and spent that on it only to find out that all the high dollar parts that make it "Worth" $4,500.00 were missing, you'd be pretty mad. These were also sold under the Sears name, someone could have taken a Sears bike and altered it to a Dart bike which may or may not affect value but if you found it was altered after someone told you it was original, again, you would be pretty upset. The first thing I look at when considering a "Restored" bike are the tires. Period correct tires are one of the hardest things to get seeing how they are the most consumable item that is no longer being produced. For example, a period correct set of NOS Goodyear tires for this bike will cost you about $350-$400 while a fresh set from the hardware store cost $50. When considering any big purchase that you are unfamiliar with, take lots of detailed pictures, ask questions, especially to the seller. If the seller says "It's worth $4,500.00", ask him/her "What makes it worth that much?. Then do a lot of research on those particular items. To serious collectors, it's all about the smalls, these are the things that set apart a truly "Restored" bike. Take for instance, someone is selling a Lil Indian mini bike and claims it to have the original brake caliper. Is it original to the bike? or an original part?, is it period correct?. There are many different variances of calipers offered throughout a models history, they all fit/function the same but it may not be the period correct part.

As for the rule of not giving "Values", the biggest reason I would say this rule exists is to keep people who are serious about the hobby here rather than people just using up members time so someone could get a benchmark "Worth" so they could list it for sale, never to be seen or heard from again. Hopefully you do stick around, if your first interest is this Dart Cycle, you have exceptional taste in mini bikes and get my vote!. Good luck, welcome to the site and most of all, have fun!.

-A2M
Got it, everything you said makes sense. Thanks for the good advice. My Hilltopper is definitely 99.9% correct (only thing is a new genuine TEC carb) and why 99.9% and not 100%
Original Arco tires which are no longer made to the gas line clamps. I had to search for over a year for the original kill switch.

Another question comes to mind, is a bike worth more completely original with a little rust or restored with original paint? Lucky with my Hilltopper that original "gold leaf" paint was from 1972 Chrysler autos and still available. Thinking about painting it?

Thanks for the good advice & tips

copyman

I am so happy to have discovered your web site, it's toally everything my friends and I have been looking for. The detailed information on this web page is definitely appreciated and will help my friends and I quite a bit. It looks like everyone gained a large amount of info concerning subjects on the site and the other links and info like wise show it. Typically i'm not on the internet during the week but when I get a chance I am more often than not scouring for this sort of knowledge or stuff closely having to do with it. If you have a chance have a look at my site <span style=color:#000>big and best dog playgrounds near me dallas</span>[/QUOTE

Welcome!
I'm kinda of new here myself but you better check the rules about posting personal websites to promote a business.

copyman

Different strokes for different folks. It's only original once. For me I rather have it og with rust aka patina! If the parts used are og period correct then there is no way to tell if they are the originals that came with that bike.
Makes sense. Would you rebuild the original carb and use that over a new OEM carb? The only difference I can see is the choke lever is taller on the orig carb. If I put the orig carb on bike it would be 100% correct!

Makes sense. Would you rebuild the original carb and use that over a new OEM carb? The only difference I can see is the choke lever is taller on the orig carb. If I put the orig carb on bike it would be 100% correct!
That carb is far from being correct. Manifold is wrong too. Dart Cycles used an updraft style carb setup on the Deluxe 4 cycle bikes. The whole motor looks too new to be correct for a Dart but would need better pics and serial number to determine that.

That carb is far from being correct. Manifold is wrong too. Dart Cycles used an updraft style carb setup on the Deluxe 4 cycle bikes. The whole motor looks too new to be correct for a Dart but would need better pics and serial number to determine that.
You are correct for early dart cycles but his is a later dart cycle with taller bars and they had a more standard looking engine With the Fairbanks steel recoil.

minibikefever

enjoy the hobby that's what it is these are mini bikes and are only good for having fun with and riding, none of them are worth a lot of money but you can surely spend a bit chasing them, a bike where i live might go for 500 and a few states over you can buy it for 300-350, seems to be an enjoyable hobby later in life for us that remember those carefree days, so if you want it buy it and have some fun with it cause that's what they were made for, most important enjoy see ya on the trail