1964 or 65 Bonanza find !

Very nice find. That must have been one from the transition period between the "first fifty" and when they finally decided how the frames would be mass produced. I can't tell if there are two connecting welds near the rear seat tab or not but there is also a weld down near the rear axle plates. Also the brake support is connected to the frame like the first fifty but farther back. The fender tabs are a little different from what we are used to seeing. Is it possible that you have something that is even earlier than 1964? Something like that can only be found in California. Congratulations on a great find. Very cool. The older the better.

i saw you on mini bike reunion podcast showing your latest bonanza mini bikes.
i was wondering if you will post pictures of your "first fifty" mini bike?
it's not too often that anybody gets to see something that rare.
you guys do a great job on that show.

thanks,
ts

i saw you on mini bike reunion podcast showing your latest bonanza mini bikes.
i was wondering if you will post pictures of your "first fifty" mini bike?
it's not too often that anybody gets to see something that rare.
you guys do a great job on that show.

thanks,
ts

Hey Mountainmini, I'll take some photo's of it tomorrow and post them in this thread.

one of rhe first fifty Bonanza's

As some of you have heard, I scored a real early Bonanza like the one Kustom kart has.His is #1 of the first 50. I got this awhile ago.I'm just gonna fix what is wrong with it and leave it that way.

Hear is some of the ways to tell if yours is real early.

Bottom triple tree is cut straight and does not wrap around the fork leg.

The bottom nut that is welded to the triple tree is not a typical Bonanza locknut.

My engine plate was cut and laid flat in the frame so my buddy Scottessay made me a couple new ones. Notice they are on an angle and the jackshaft runs through the plate.

More pics coming soon ! This is a 1963 Bonanza !

Last edited:
Sprocket width

Here is the difference between a early sprocket and a later one.

The early one is on the left. It is a little shorter than a later one.

The sprocket is two pieces and not welded on the front,only on the back.

Thanks for sharing this stuff. Bonanza collectors need to share info so that we become more informed about our beloved mini bikes. I built my #1 tribute for the 2017 build off because I knew I would never be able to buy one. I was able to do it because of photos that kustom kart kid shared in a post that he did on OldMiniBikes forum. It was fun to be able to show this at windber so that people could see what these rare mini bikes looked like. I for one would love to see one of these original bikes in person. By the way, I think bonanza used the short sprocket to get the back wheel to be centered. That was because of the use of the drum brake support to the frame. Thanks again Ed... Stay Evil.

Later,
TS

It's nice to see an early bike in the right hands, could have ended up with a predator and a T-shirt seat with some yahoo riding it without fixing the brakes. Awesome find.