1965 Rupp Grand Prix Restoration

Started work on this in January, 2018, and finished May, 2018. Got it on a pallet from a member in Oregon. Just now getting around to posting photos.

As received

Assessing frame damage

Bad pieces cut out. (I could have had a replacement frame built)

New pieces spliced in. .120 DOM with slugs

Resetting the steering hoop angles. Nassau panel if fixed to the hoop on these.

Setting the new aluminum floor pan to the frame for mock up.

More mock up. Replacement axle hangers, MC8 with VanTech hot rod parts, rebuilt Bendix brake.

I made new throttle and brake rods. Brake linkage.

Original throttle bracket design

Throttle. I replaced blue cap with higher capacity cap

2K primer

HOK Kandy Apple Red over BC1 metallic silver. Urethane clear over.

Original Bendix Brake rechromed on billet hub.

Assembly. Rechrome on wheel rings. New rubber for rear carrier.

Together sitting on temporary cheap rubber. (Now sporting Vintage Speeds) Chromed Chilton tank. New seat made from original pattern.

Amazing!! Love the shot where the sun hits the fairing and it turns gold. I wish there was someplace I could go race mine, they just sit in the shed.

Amazing!! Love the shot where the sun hits the fairing and it turns gold. I wish there was someplace I could go race mine, they just sit in the shed.
You got that right. There are plenty of tracks around the US, but if you don't live near them, it's a drive, camping, hotels, etc. Not like a mini bike where you can fire it up and take a quick spin. These are loud and fast. By the way, I made a wall hanging for both karts. I can single hand them on and off.

1500 LB lifting sling, 8:1 block and tackle and home made wall mount into the studs. (Automatic Tecumseh oil drain for the Fox)

Kart Hanging.JPG

Damn, that's awesome Dave. :drool: I don't know anything about goKarts but that is very cool.:thumbsup:
Thanks Manny, I had a lot of fun doing it. I got a lot of advice along the way from some of the vintage karting community.

Just Beautiful Dave ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: That put a smile on this old kart racer's face, Thanks for Posting .

Last edited:
Beautiful work!......you need to bring that to the VKA adams kart event in Feb in riverside calif....louie runs it.....also the VKCA put on
a vintage kart play days nov 2 3 and 4 in Tucson Az.....i do have the wheel caps if you need them

Beautiful work!......you need to bring that to the VKA adams kart event in Feb in riverside calif....louie runs it.....also the VKCA put on
a vintage kart play days nov 2 3 and 4 in Tucson Az.....i do have the wheel caps if you need them .............i have been sending chrome off to shelbyville plating Ind they do 4" rims also sam bennett
does some great ball burnishing

dave i have the wheel caps for the turbine rims but you will need to trim the rear axle or space it out ......please bring it to the VKA adams riverside ca event 11/31 to 2/2 2019 kart show and barbq fri night well worth the trip

dave i have the wheel caps for the turbine rims but you will need to trim the rear axle or space it out ......please bring it to the VKA adams riverside ca event 11/31 to 2/2 2019 kart show and barbq fri night well worth the trip
Hi Greg, thanks for the offer of the caps. Riverside event requires logistics- kart storage, hotel, canine, so I haven't made the effort. It would be nice to finally meet you, and Louie to name a few people.