1968/69 Lil Indian flat chainguard info??

markus

Anyone know if the flat face chianguards used on lil indian around 1969 are about the same dimensions as the later pressed face guards? Anyone ever been lucky enough to have both at the same time :shrug: Also info on what they used for mount as they appear to be bolt on to the guard. I have parts listings/explosions from 1967 (open guard) and 1971 (pressed face with built n mount) but missing anything from in between :doah:

would say its fairly close due to the decal but they may have changed that size too?
Flat:

pressed face:

They are not the same dimensions Markus. They are close but definitely not the same. I believe the decal stayed the same Markus but the outside dimensions did expand slightly.

Last edited:
I have a couple NOS flat guards. Also have the mounting brackets. I'll get them out and post a picture. They would be very easy to make up out of flat stock. Regards, Joe51

I have a couple NOS flat guards. Also have the mounting brackets. I'll get them out and post a picture. They would be very easy to make up out of flat stock. Regards, Joe51
With your talents if you made some up I'm sure they'd sell. I'd be interested in two if you did:thumbsup:

markus

Thanks Joe, that would be great! I was going to take a stab at trying to make one for a bike I am working on, Started thinking I could at least use my pressed guard to get some general tracings and sizing from to work with.

I didn't realize that there are so many flat ones out there. I wonder why I don't see them on restorations as much. I guess everybody clamors for the recessed model?

I didn't realize that there are so many flat ones out there. I wonder why I don't see them on restorations as much. I guess everybody clamors for the recessed model?
There really aren't "so many" out there. In the 4 or 5 years I've been into LiL Indians, I've still seen more of the later model than the flat one. In fact, almost all of the flat ones came from Joe I believe.

Joe, I'd still like to know more about the mounting brackets as I'll need a set for the chrome flat guard that I bought from you. I'm sure Karen would like to have those dimensions as well. Hopefully you'll be able to help us out.

hello, The rear bracket is an original. Front one I made up. Anyone who has a used original chain guard know that the crank shaft easily rubbed on the cover. The original brackets in my opinion were a tad short when combined with the flimsy stamping. I'll measure up the original rear bracket an awhile and post it later today. Hope this helps. Regards, Joe51

markus

hello, The rear bracket is an original. Front one I made up. Anyone who has a used original chain guard know that the crank shaft easily rubbed on the cover. The original brackets in my opinion were a tad short when combined with the flimsy stamping. I'll measure up the original rear bracket an awhile and post it later today. Hope this helps. Regards, Joe51
Thanks Joe :thumbsup: Thats the thing worrying me that it will be a shaker, I will have to obviously weld the front curved section together and shape and fill the seam since I would not be able to stamp.....thinking a 3rd strap on the bottom wouldn't hurt

That bracket looks similar to mine. I am missing a couple sets of mounting brackets so I need to make some of those up yet.

I thought that there were a lot of these around because I have 4 of them myself, in addition to all of those that you guys have. You are definitely right about seeing more of the later ones tho.

BTW: Thanks Joe!

Hey Mark, If it would help, I can make some traces of the NOS covers' and send them to you if that helps. Or if you want I can send you a cover and the rear bracket so you can duplicate it. Just send them back when done.
Regards,
Joe

markus

Hey Mark, If it would help, I can make some traces of the NOS covers' and send them to you if that helps. Or if you want I can send you a cover and the rear bracket so you can duplicate it. Just send them back when done.
Regards,
Joe
Maybe some rough measurements when you have time would be great. The shape is so close to the later guard that I have I think I could pull a traceing from that and just alter slightly where needed. As awesome as it would be to have one in front of me to copy I wouldn't want that responsibility.....if it was not for bad luck I would have no luck at all! I cant thank you enough for that offer but I'm just too good at causing fluke accidental disasters to be entrusted with something hard to replace like that :laugh: