1968 Rupp TT500 nearly complete

capguncowboy

I have for sale a 1968 Rupp TT500. It's missing the two speed set up and the clutch guard. Everything else is there, including the funky little chain tensioner.

The engine isn't running, but it has spark and compression. I didn't attempt to start it. I don't want to fool with it to get it running. The serial on the engine is 8353 (December 18th, 1968), making it a very late 1968 bike.

The gas tank is in great condition inside and out, but has a small dent on the top back left corner. The inside is clean with no major rust issues.

The seat is in excellent condition with only a few little tiny spots. The vinyl is soft and isn't torn.

The wheels/tires and brakes are complete and in great shape. The tires have minor cracking but good tread. They hold air without an issue. The chrome half is in good shape on the inside and out, and has only minor surface rust. I didn't attempt to clean the aluminum portions, but they're not chipped or damaged. The brakes are complete and the pads seem to have good life left on them. The disks/sprocket are also in good shape. The front brake lever is pretty far gone. The rear brake uses the optional pedal and is in excellent shape.

The fenders are typical for a rider. The front fender has light surface rust. The rear fender matches the front, but there is some pitting on the part closest to the engine. It cleaned up pretty well, but it is noticeable still.

The headlight is pretty much roasted. The glass and bulb are complete, the reflector is in good shape and the entire wiring harness is there, including the original light switch. The taillight is in decent shape and the original lenses are complete without damage.

The handlebars are pretty rough but the u bolts are in good shape and the welds aren't broken. The grips and throttle are original, but once again, they're a little beat up -- same goes for the footpeg rubbers.

The paint on the frame is dingy and pretty pocked from rust and exposure. However, it's not too far gone for a restoration. I didn't notice any rewelds anywhere. The fork lowers were bent and I attempted to straighten them but they're not perfect

I'm at $1500 obo plus shipping, or I can deliver it to Windber. Otherwise I'll part it out and sell it off on here or Ebay

Last edited:
Interested in handlebars, wheels, brake light switch assembly, wiring harness, foot brake, kickstand and engine. Are the headlight and taillight OEM with Rupp part numbers embossed?

Joel

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Hey Joel - Rupp didn't make the headlight or taillight for this bike. They purchased them from other companies. As far as I can tell, both the headlight and taillight are original.

*****This bike is no longer for sale as a whole. The entire bike has been taken apart and listed on Ebay.*****

capguncowboy

Someone offered me a lot of money for a few of the parts and I pulled the listings. He wanted all of it, but I told him the rest of it will stay on Ebay until the listings end.

Rupp 72

Interested in handlebars, wheels, brake light switch assembly, wiring harness, foot brake, kickstand and engine. Are the headlight and taillight OEM with Rupp part numbers embossed?

Joel
Not all 1968 rupp headlights have the part number embossed, at some point during the production run they stamped the part number in ink on the inside of the bucket. I showed that in my tt500 build off thread.

capguncowboy

I would have preferred to sell the entire bike to one person and let them take what they want. No one said a word when I said it would be parted out, but now that it's done, I've got people crawling out of the woodwork with fistfuls of cash.

Last edited:
I would have preferred to sell the entire bike to one person and let them take what they want. No one said a word when I said it would be parted out, but now that it's done, I've got people crawling out of the woodwork with fistfuls of cash.

That's usually how it goes. Don't sweat it! Enjoy the ride. :scooter:

Not all 1968 rupp headlights have the part number embossed, at some point during the production run they stamped the part number in ink on the inside of the bucket. I showed that in my tt500 build off thread.
Wow, great thread!! I need to read thought it. Thanks!!

That's how it always is. Coulda woulda should. I just wondered what happened? I was hoping it wasn't troll bidders. Glad it worked out for you!! :smile: