1968 Rupp XL350

I’m new to this site but am an enthusiast from way back. Was on a picking mission yesterday and came across a 1968 Rupp xl350. It’s been sitting outside since who knows when and has the patina to prove it. The amazing thing is it’s mostly all there minus headlight , taillight and muffler. Question do I restore or sell? Have several projects going now and winter is coming to and end soon. Riding time. Thoughts?
Thanks Bill

Appreciate the comments but as the day has gone on I spoke with a gentleman who has restored over 30 Rupp bikes and has quite a collection. Even has 2 savage bikes. He tells me that the early Cub and Chopper bikes came with a B&S engine. The letters are stamped in the housing cover also. I’m not a Rupp expert by any means, just thought it was a cool find.
Bill

capguncowboy

First off, that's definitely the wrong engine. While I've heard rumors about Briggs on some of the lower-end product line in the early days, the XL-350 was well into their 5th year of bikes and was certainly not a lower model.

Secondly, you would be surprised what you can clean up with some effort. I took this rust bucket and it cleaned up pretty good. It ended up being restored by someone else though. If I recall correctly, he recently sold that bike on Ebay

That was before I had discovered Evap-O-Rust -- I'm sure the results would have been a little better if I had.

2015-01-28 20.23.15.jpg

2015-01-31 17.47.45.jpg

you have the chain guard and the tank, two of the hardest pieces to find. everything else you can fix or get replacement parts for.....do it! yeah that should probably be a tecumseh engine.

Actually that’s not totally correct, as I buy and sell vintage autos of all flavors As with old cars supply of parts was what is used. I’ve spoken to Rupp experts (30bike s) and a 68 could’ve come with that engine. It is a 68 bs engine. Rupp also used lauson engines. No matter it will be done by windber along with a Ct70 chopper I’m building. Stay tuned.
Bill

I have to agree with Cap on the engine dilemma. While there were things in the Rupp 68' sales literature that was different from the actual production bikes, the engine wasn't one of them. Either way, it will be a fun bike to restore and ride.

Actually that’s not totally correct, as I buy and sell vintage autos of all flavors As with old cars supply of parts was what is used. I’ve spoken to Rupp experts (30bike s) and a 68 could’ve come with that engine. It is a 68 bs engine. Rupp also used lauson engines. No matter it will be done by windber along with a Ct70 chopper I’m building. Stay tuned.
Bill
No disrespect but the only engine the xl350 came with was the tecumseh h35 hence the xl350. The xl500 used the tecumseh h50. Lauson engines are tecumseh and the only company rupp used for 4 strokes except for a few of their promotional go karts.