1969 Kawasaki Coyote MB-1 original

Looking for suggestions on access to parts changing magneto assembly... will not fire. I also would like suggestions to get the best results for selling. Thinking "as-is" may be easier than trying to find parts.

pomfish

Have seen them sell before for around $2000 when original, as always, they are worth what the market bears and what someone wants to pay.

DaddyJohn

Super cool little bike!

It would be great for a Predator swap (just kidding, don't do that, lol). :p

You will need a DVM ( meter) to trouble shoot the engine. Does it have an ignition switch on the engine/handle bars?
A DVM will give you voltages, but a DMM will do amps and resistance too. :D

OK, some things to check:
1. CHI-COM Spark Plugs suck I have had 100% failure of every one I have owned. Try a new name brand spark plug.
2. IF you have an ignition switch, Ohm it out to see if it is good
3 .Ohm out all of the ignition wiring for broken wires or open switches.
4. Check the gap on the flywheel to the ignition coil
5. If you have points,make sure they are adjusted properly and not burnt/eroded away.
6. IF you have a Condenser with the points, replace it. These fail on a regular basis on old engines.
7. Are you generating a Spark? Place the spark plug lead close to a non-painted engine or frame part about a 1/8-1/4" away from the metal and with the spark plug removed,have someone pull the starter rope fast. You should see a spark. Hold the rubber wire,not the metal end.You will get shocked if it is working. ( ignition switch on)
If you going to replace parts, the Condenser and the spark plug would be my first. Coils can fail but it is not all that common. I have never seen a magnet go bad. I guess it could happen,but never in my life time to me.
We need more details on your engine maker and age of the engine/HP rating.

1. CHI-COM Spark Plugs suck I have had 100% failure of every one I have owned. Try a new name brand spark plug.
5. If you have points,make sure they are adjusted properly and not burnt/eroded away.
6. IF you have a Condenser with the points, replace it. These fail on a regular basis on old engines.
7. Are you generating a Spark? Place the spark plug lead close to a non-painted engine or frame part about a 1/8-1/4" away from the metal and with the spark plug removed,have someone pull the starter rope fast. You should see a spark. Hold the rubber wire,not the metal end.You will get shocked if it is working. ( ignition switch on)
If you going to replace parts, the Condenser and the spark plug would be my first. Coils can fail but it is not all that common. I have never seen a magnet go bad. I guess it could happen,but never in my life time to me.
Sounds good. I did a lot of those things. But I’m going to re check it all again tomorrow (movie time with the family)
I will post pictures tomorrow.
also I’m in Southern Maryland just in the off chance anyone else is.

okay. So I am still at a total loss. I’m going to try to post a picture of where I’m at.

Attachments

toomanytoys

I wanted one of these real bad 10 years ago. Passed on a beautiful one for 500 bucks. I've always been a kawaski bike fan. Own two kawaski motorcycles now.