1969 Rupp Roadster Brakes

I've been trying to gather info on the brakes (especially front) for this Roadster, knowing that parts are unobtainium and hoping to see other solutions that might be out there.

When I use the search engine, I get a "million" hits that include anything that has to do with any Rupp or nay brakes on any motorized vehicle discussed here.
Can anyone point me toward specific threads or a better way to search so I can find the info better?
I'm an avid reader, but don't want to get my fill by clicking on 300 threads with the hope that they are relevant.

In better news, the frame is off to be sandblasted, the tires have arrived, the wheel bearings are in, the tubes are on the way.
Should be a rolling chassis soon, then it comes time for motor work.

RUPP.jpg

Last edited:

capguncowboy

What's wrong with the current brake? Is it missing entirely?

Rupp used a drum brake that was specifically made for 1969. The drum bolts to the inside of the aluminum side of the wheel using ultra thin headed bolts. The brake mechanism sat inside the drum and the axle passed through it. There is a notch on the brake that slides into a brake stop on the fork lowers, but the front and rear brake are identical to one another

If you find the right backplate(s). I have a couple sets of new shoes from Blackwidow that I'd let go for well below retail.

Last edited:
Yes, what he said. They aren't unobtanium either. I see them come up for sale quite often on EBay. Every once in a while an NOS drum shows up as well, but used ones are out there too.

The front wheel sat under 6" of dirt for 20+ years. The backing plate, shoes, and drum were so fused, there was no possibility of ever separating them.
I didn't realize front and rear are the same. I'll have to pull out that box of parts and inspect (haven't gotten to wire-wheeling that box of parts yet).
Perhaps "unobtainium" was a bit strong; that word comes to mind due to the prices I have seen on Rupp parts (relative to buying a brand new complete bike. I understand the collectibility of the Rupp, but spending a ton to have something that would be worth 3/4 of a ton is not in my budget.

Compared to buying a restored Rupp, or compared to a new Chinese minibike? If you're comparing to a restored Rupp, yes, you have to pick your battles as they say. But at least during this stage and date in time, they do have some worth due to nostalgia. Chinese bikes? Not so much due to the mass production and ease of availability.

Thank you for the heads-up. I should have clarified that the backing plate & shoe setup is what I need (though I haven't checked if the drum is concentric still).

Would moving the rear brake parts to the front and making a scrub brake for the rear constitute heresey? Or is there a retrofit or other option for the rear brake?
As you said, it's that hard spot between restoring at a big expense or buy a cheapie brand-new bike.

I hate that I can't use my Googlefu to find this more easily!

I sent you a PM about your scrub brake idea, but another option would be drum on the front and a clutch brake on the engine.

Easier to go back to stock if you find the correct drum parts down the road. :thumbsup:

Just get the correct parts. You would have probably more time and expense trying to corncob an incorrect set of brake parts together and they probably wouldn't work as effectively.

You could always just have the correct rear brake, until, or even if you would still want, the front brake parts. I have a Goat with only the stock rear brake, and it stops alright. :scooter: Good luck.

I was looking for the parts and saw an ad for a brake assembly for a Rupp 100 that looks rather similar.
Anyone have any idea if they are similar size?

c415ba3e-fb38-465e-8847-1c773ba33bb4_zps3yalwjsk.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: