1969 Rupp Roadster rear rim repair

Say it 5x fast :)

I searched for a while to find a similar post, but no luck. Don't flame me if it's out there, just share the link here.

Son and I restored my childhood Roadster a few years back. With use, a few of the bolt stanchions for the rear wheel sprocket have stripped out.
Since I'm sure others have had this happen, what have y'all done to fix it? I've considered drilling and tapping oversized, but there isn't a whole lot of meat there. I'm thinking of having it welded and drilled/tapped by a shop.
Another alternative would be to leave it as is and JBWeld some studs in there, and use a nut to secure the sprocket. I wouldn;t trust JBWeld to fill the hole and be drilled/tapped.

Thoughts?

wheel.jpg

capguncowboy

The simplest repair would be drilling it out and dropping in a helicoil

I'm not a welder, so maybe it's not possible, but filling and redrilling would probably be the best long term solution

Point of clarification.
I think Cap is saying your bike has front and rear brakes so use the same flanged rim for both. On the rear it will hold the sprocket. And on the front it will hold the brake disc.

BMI does in fact list two part numbers. One wheel with the flange and the other without.

For more specific parts break downs Blackwidowmotorsports has factory Rupp parts illustrations and lists on its website.

rugblaster

Looking at that wheel, I think that price is for one half of the wheel. I've used Helicoils and TimeSerts in the past and the TimeSert is the better option. I think they originated in West Germany and we all know those Germans and their strict quality. And they aren't cheap.

Welding wise, I have a TIG welder and I have never had much luck welding cast aluminium. it has impurities in it and the puddle drifts everywhere. There are ways to deal with it somewhat with background current and other stuff but my machine is a Miller Syncrowave and doesn't have some of the capabilities of the newer high end inverter machines have. I would be surprised if someone could weld those holes up without making a complete mess of it.

Last edited:
OK. I tried to order the rim half 2x and my browser wouldn't cooperate to finish the order.
Sooooo, I bought a Helicoil kit. $20 and installed them in 15 minutes. Gonna bolt it all back together and see how it goes.
Worst case, I wasted $20; best case, I saved $55.

DaddyJohn

OK. I tried to order the rim half 2x and my browser wouldn't cooperate to finish the order.
Sooooo, I bought a Helicoil kit. $20 and installed them in 15 minutes. Gonna bolt it all back together and see how it goes.
Worst case, I wasted $20; best case, I saved $55.
Good for you, stick it to the man! :D

Seriously though, hope it works well!