1970-71 Gilson/Allis/Monkey Wards 525?

markus

debris in the outside cam journal probably caused the bind, found that problem in an HS40 once, It moved the gear on the crank (they are pressed not pinned on that version engine) rather than taking the teeth off the camshaft. the governor system on the Medium frames also don't lubricate well since its up top so that's probably pretty toasted too. Bummer, the ball bearing sidecovers are a little tougher to find, I dont think they made bushings for the cam journals. The bearings on those cranks are real pain to remove, not so bad to reinstall if you heat the bearing in oil keep the crankshaft nice and cool though so the fridge and stove in your "shop" will come in handy, hopefully your landlord isn't on here!!!!!

Rooster63

debris in the outside cam journal probably caused the bind, found that problem in an HS40 once, It moved the gear on the crank (they are pressed not pinned on that version engine) rather than taking the teeth off the camshaft. the governor system on the Medium frames also don't lubricate well since its up top so that's probably pretty toasted too. Bummer, the ball bearing sidecovers are a little tougher to find, I dont think they made bushings for the cam journals. The bearings on those cranks are real pain to remove, not so bad to reinstall if you heat the bearing in oil keep the crankshaft nice and cool though so the fridge and stove in your "shop" will come in handy, hopefully your landlord isn't on here!!!!!
Believe it or not, the sump covers are super easy to come by. Anyway, he let some kids ride it and before long, here they came, pushing it back. He had the Governo disconnected so they probably wound it up. The Governor gear is all chipped up. I wonder if the Governor gear didn’t come apart and in turn, took out the Camshaft? I don’t know......SOMETHIN’ caused it. It mangled the hell out of the Cam hole, in the side cover.

Rooster63

Well, shoot. You are correct on the bearing Sump Cover. I can’t seem to find one. Dang it. I have the wrong one coming.

Rooster63

Lord, was I wrong. Pretty difficult to find.