1970 Bonanza CR500 Hodaka Chopper

Looking forward to your build! I love bonanza choppers

Had the same thing with my 2 last year, 1 sissy bar turned out well and the other not so well so had to get chromed

dwarfbike

So ran into a little issue trying to remove the rear sprocket. Two out of three of the bolts came out fine. The third bolt someone had broken the bottom portion of the nut cage so the nut just spins. Can fit much for tools through on of those kidney beans. Any tips would be helpful.

Attachments

I dont know how much space that is but have you a dremel type tool with a cut off blade? Maybe that would work, if you can replace the bolt. Just a thought.

For some reason the image isn’t loading for me, so I can’t see what’s happening. I had that same kid of issue last year for my choppers. The nut was too small so it would spin. I had my dad help me out, in between him and I we had a few flat head screw drivers between the wall of the wheel and the nut. Enough pressure on them and the nut stayed in place and i got to spin the bolt out

So ran into a little issue trying to remove the rear sprocket. Two out of three of the bolts came out fine. The third bolt someone had broken the bottom portion of the nut cage so the nut just spins. Can fit much for tools through on of those kidney beans. Any tips would be helpful.
Not positive what the other side looks like but if you can just drill the head off the bolt on the other side of the wheel. Then it will fall apart backwards.

Thanks for the tips guys. Dragracertpp I have another set of hands coming over today and that is what we are going to try!

Now that the weekend is here we got some work to do on the build off bike. Below is the list of items that need to be completed this weekend.

1. Make a list of miscellaneous random items that need to be ordered and place the order so I have everything I need sitting here.

2. Figure out how to get the rear wheel apart. I would like to have them in the mail on there way to get burnish by this coming Monday.

3. Finish removing Jackshaft and peg covers so the frame is completely stripped. Review frame and verify if any work is required before blasting and top coat.

4. Start disassembling the engine for restoration.

Follow us this weekend as this chopper build really takes off!

So far I have removed the Jackshaft and peg covers so now I have a bare frame. Someone drilled two holes in on of the frame tubes that will meees to be filled. I also separated the rear wheel and sprocket so now I can soak the bolts that hold the wheels halves together in penetrating oil.

Attachments

Made some progress this weekend.

1. Pressed the bearing out of the front wheel. Getting ready to send the wheels out for burnishing. Sorry I don't know why it turned my picture sideways.
IMG_4873.JPG
2. After soaking the jackshaft in penetrating oil it fell right apart this wekend, that was a week well spent soaking! Frame is clean but need a little work. Completely stripped now ready to go.

IMG_4876.JPG
3. Picture of the front wheel with the bearing removed. Dirty, reay to be put in a box and sent to be burnished.

IMG_4875.JPG

The weekend is finally here, time to get back to work on the build off bike. Wheels were delivered to Cambo61 yesterday for burnishing. I am excited to see how they turn out. The goal this weekend is to weld up the four additional holes in the frame and get it ready for top coat. The bendix brake needs a little work, so I would like to try and get that completed as well.
IMG_4888.JPG

Nice original 5" Bendix Brake that needs some work. Everything is mechanically sound, just have an issue with the backing plate mounting bolt.
IMG_4909.JPG

Here is the isssue, someone stripped the mounting bolt. I am going to need to remove and replace it.
IMG_4911.JPG

Here is the bolt head, there is a lot of weld to work through. This will be a chore!
IMG_4912.JPG