1970 cat 400x

Steve73

This afternoon I was able to take this rusty, old crusty silver painted parts of a brake system and breathe new life into it. Poof!
Original brake pad was epoxy glued in there on one side. Cleaned that mess all out piece by piece and got it finally ready for later..
20190623_153922_Burst01.jpg
Quick trip to the local hardware store yielded new springs, new washer and castle, stop nuts. Arm and bracket was pretty rusty with old silver paint on top cleaned that off and polished them up. New brake pads make it ready to go back in.
20190623_192322.jpg
20190623_202954.jpg
Until next time...

This afternoon I was able to take this rusty, old crusty silver painted parts of a brake system and breathe new life into it. Poof!
Original brake pad was epoxy glued in there on one side. Cleaned that mess all out piece by piece and got it finally ready for later..
View attachment 246087
Quick trip to the local hardware store yielded new springs, new washer and castle, stop nuts. Arm and bracket was pretty rusty with old silver paint on top cleaned that off and polished them up. New brake pads make it ready to go back in.
View attachment 246089
View attachment 246088
Until next time...
Hey! I'm building a cat 400x too. The brakes are terrible. Where did you get the pads and do you have any tips for adjusting them?

Thank you peoples! This bike is exactly 50yrs old. UnBelizable!
View attachment 245980
Also the serial number is now readable. Before there was no hint of one under multiple layers of paint.
View attachment 245981
nice! I am working on another mini bike, right now I just have the Fram and wheels, Ive had this for years just sitting in the garage, the other day I can sprayed it but need all the parts and would like to find a seat, tires and wheels like yours
Nice. Who made your cover ?

Steve73

Hey! I'm building a cat 400x too. The brakes are terrible. Where did you get the pads and do you have any tips for adjusting them?
I think the new brake pads I ordered from OldMiniBikes warehouse. They are pretty common round hockey puck style pads. Adjusting them is simple tightening up the brake cable attached to the brake. Hope that helps?

Steve73

wow, sandpaper did that? amazing, I thought it was new! can you please tell me where you bought the tires? I wish I could find those wheels for my mini bike.
These tires I picked up online somewhere. Ebay I think. The original Indian head carlisles tires that came with the bike had so many cracks you could see the inner tube thru them!

I think the new brake pads I ordered from OldMiniBikes warehouse. They are pretty common round hockey puck style pads. Adjusting them is simple tightening up the brake cable attached to the brake. Hope that helps?
Do they work well? I adjusted them as-is and they're pretty not-great.

Harquebus

Looks fab--love the metal flake metallics of the past. Nothing else will do.
For a first start ever, does that mean the Briggs is a NOS engine or what?

Explain please how you got the mirror finish on the sprocket just with sanding. That is unreal.

Steve73

For a first start ever, does that mean the Briggs is a NOS engine or what?
Yeah the engine was NOS barn fresh when I got it. It had no oil in it and the gas tank looked like it had never really had gas in it. The engine was just really really dirty and the little rust that's on it is just from sitting.
Explain please how you got the mirror finish on the sprocket just with sanding.
The sprocket had original silver paint on it. I use a electric palm sander and I buy a automotive sand paper pack of different grit from rough to super super fine grit. And I use a liquid polishing compound with the sander. I cut the sand paper in pieces that fit onto the palm sander. Start with the rough paper and work your way up to the super fine paper, After the desired result was achieved. I finished it off on the polishing wheel for a final touch..

Glad you like the end result and hopefully you can polish up some mini bike metal too!

Steve73

Feeling pretty blessed to have found a local set of fenders! How crazy is that? Anyways after a good cleaning they were good to go! The brackets were severely rusted. Clean all that off and a quick shot of silver metallic and we good!

Ok now I'm done! I promise.. Lol.. But its so much fun and a sickness at the same time.

20190805_195836.jpg
20190805_200445.jpg