1970 Lil Indian Saber Roller

CarPlayLB

awesome foundation for a build! I love those little bikes.

I am the first one to admit what a mini bike rookie I am...so here goes.

That frame has a lot of Rupp looking pieces. With the exception of the handle bars, I would immediately say Rupp. I can imagine some of the companies made parts for others...is that the case here? Not bashin'...just trying to learn!

Good luck with your build...I will be watching!

jrzmac

I am the first one to admit what a mini bike rookie I am...so here goes.
That frame has a lot of Rupp looking pieces. With the exception of the handle bars, I would immediately say Rupp. I can imagine some of the companies made parts for others...is that the case here? Not bashin'...just trying to learn!
Lil Indian Saber:

Thanks, I've personally never heard of a Rupp/Lil Indian connection. I have become partial to these models. I like the frame size, the front & rear suspension, the jackshaft set up, and foot peg position. Here's my 1970 model 7000, 1967 model 6000 survivor, 1971 modded Saber {took 2nd place at the Leadfoot Illegal Mini Bike Drags}, and the 1970 Saber roller.

CarPlayLB

I have a Rupp TT500 that i am building now and i swear the frame is identical. I am not questioning that it is a Little Indian, but wondering if they outsourced the production. The fork lowers look like Continental lowers too

Not sure how I'm going to complete this one yet. I'm tempted to just wipe the frame down real good and leave it as is, since I already know I don't want to spend the necessary $ on an original clutch cover, disc brake unit, and seat. I wanted to pick an engine {1967 5 HP} and see how the 2 speed performed before any potential restoration. I disassembled the front end, cleaned everything up with WD40, installed new bearings, and freed up the suspension. Also cleaned up the front fender {vinegar & tin foil, works GREAT!}. I had a cool Ruttman seat, and it fits nicely, so I'll probably use that. Also had a spare correct original Lil Indian chrome {well, used to be} exhaust that fit nicely. Waiting on a one-way bearing for the jackshaft sprocket, so in the meantime I cleaned up both clutches, & installed the throttle. Test ride soon! :biggrin:

Received the one-way bearing for the jackshaft sprocket. Thanks to Bikerscum for the lead on the correct bearing. Removed the old bearing and installed the new bearing, then re-assembled the 2 spd. assembly and mounted it in the frame. Should perform nicely. I did run into an alignment problem with the dbl. sprocket drive clutch to the jackshaft however. The engine needs to be appx. 1" over to the right side. If I want to use this engine, I may have to drill new engine mtg. holes.