1970 Rupp silver paint.

This has to be asked and answered before, but I searched and couldn't find...

Getting ready to put a new engine on my '70 Scrambler and need to paint it. While I was at it, I figured I'd do the tank too.

I remember my Scrambler when I was a kid, and it was NOT a particularly shiny finish. I remember the engine and tank being the same color.

What is the acceptable 'right ' color used today?

I would prefer a spray bomb but will do whatever I have to...it should be gasoline proof no?

thanks again....

mustangfrank

Getting ready to put a new engine on my '70 Scrambler and need to paint it. While I was at it, I figured I'd do the tank too.

I remember my Scrambler when I was a kid, and it was NOT a particularly shiny finish. I remember the engine and tank being the same color.

I would prefer a spray bomb but will do whatever I have to...it should be gasoline proof no?

thanks again....
I was just searching for earlier correct blue colors, ran across this but no idea if it is the same silver for the engine color. I think Tecumseh supplied the engine painted but it may be the color for the tank.

WIRING DIAGRAMS & PAINT CODES (blackwidowmotorsports.net)

7075PaintCode.jpg

I actually found this just after I made the post....the silver he lists is actually a Spies Heckler microfine silver mixing base. I don't have a Spies Heckler dealer but I'm sure EVERY paint manufacturer has a [super] fine silver mixing base. I used to but it to paint alloy wheels when they got crummy [on cars and trucks]

If I remember correctly Mercedes Benz bright silver is that base with a tad of white and a tad of black.

I also found Rustoleum makes an aluminum engine paint I may give a shot, It's a rattle can and says its gasoline resistant...

Still hoping you guys have a tried and true option.

delray

I actually found this just after I made the post....the silver he lists is actually a Spies Heckler microfine silver mixing base. I don't have a Spies Heckler dealer but I'm sure EVERY paint manufacturer has a [super] fine silver mixing base. I used to but it to paint alloy wheels when they got crummy [on cars and trucks]

If I remember correctly Mercedes Benz bright silver is that base with a tad of white and a tad of black.

I also found Rustoleum makes an aluminum engine paint I may give a shot, It's a rattle can and says its gasoline resistant...

Still hoping you guys have a tried and true option.
if your looking to find a good gas resistant clear. this stuff out of a can work awesome. i have done ton of restored cars and other painting projects in the past and for only 25 bucks this two part urethane out of a can works great. unless your into doing more projects at the same time? then just buy the real stuff. but if your only doing one small project...buy this. it will pretty much go over anything when applied right.
tank-paint.jpg tank3.jpg

Delray,
Thank you very much for posting that information- it is appreciated! I pulled up the technical data sheet on the Rustoleum product you showed from their website and it states "Do not use on surfaces that can exceed 200 degrees." Have you ever used this on an engine block? How did it hold up? . Operating temps on a block (especially around the head and exhaust area) can easily be around 400 degrees.
MIchael

delray

Delray,
Thank you very much for posting that information- it is appreciated! I pulled up the technical data sheet on the Rustoleum product you showed from their website and it states "Do not use on surfaces that can exceed 200 degrees." Have you ever used this on an engine block? How did it hold up? . Operating temps on a block (especially around the head and exhaust area) can easily be around 400 degrees.
MIchael
only on a clone recoil and rupp gas tank. i have use automotive paint on small blocks and big block chevys and only got discoloring around the exhaust heads. ran a stainless shield to hide it on my show cars....LOL. i believe rustoleum would hold up just find except around the exhaust. then again what does hold up over time with that type of heat.
58.jpg

Rustoleum makes an Engine paint, primer, and clear coat rated to 500 degrees that does hold up well to higher heat on a small engine block, including the head. (I have personally used it many times) The problem is that this paint is (only) rated as gasoline "resistant" , not gasoline PROOF, and does not hold up very well with repeated or prolonged gasoline spills. (Don't ask me how I know!! - LOL!)
Michael

GustoGuy

The Rupp silver for the gas tank will work well on an engine too. Best to use a catalyzed or paint with an activator if you want it gas resistant.[/QUO
I used automotive paint the coated kt with

thanks again....

I used 2K Spraymax glamor for my clear coat finish and it is totally resistant to gasoline. Looks great and adds durability to the paint too. Just remember to use a NIOSH approved respirator since this stuff can mess you up if you inhale the fumes.

What you used was the Rustoleum exhaust/muffler paint # 248904, NOT the aluminum "engine" paint which is # 248949. In addition, what you used has to be heat cured (read the can) to dry/cure properly The engine paint dries to kind of a semi-gloss finish which you can even get glossier by using the Rustoleum clear coat # 248944 over the top of it.
Michael

What you used was the Rustoleum exhaust/muffler paint # 248904, NOT the aluminum "engine" paint which is # 248949. In addition, what you used has to be heat cured (read the can) to dry/cure properly The engine paint dries to kind of a semi-gloss finish which you can even get glossier by using the Rustoleum clear coat # 248944 over the top of it.
Michael

Awesome information. Everything you said was true. I have a can of 248949 on order. Hopefully that will give me the gloss I am looking for.