1971 - 72 Scat Cat Sassy ( Proverbial Barn Find )

River Rat Ron

Hello OldMiniBikes
Been reading here for some time now. Decided to join maybe share some things. My first post is an old Scat Cat a customer turned me on to. Had to dig it out of a half collapsed barn but we made it. Going to start soaking bolts and doing an inventory to surmise the damage.
Missing a few things, seats an old one I had for reference. Poor girl is rusty and crusty so we’ll get along fine. H 30 motor all original.
Of course any input will be met with skepticism and contempt…..thanks for looking….

View attachment 296378 View attachment 296379 9

River Rat Ron

So my first repair I’ve found …. I have an idea on how I’ll weld this, we’ll see. I love a challenge
Once the tire comes off I’ll know more. The 4 bolts that sandwich the wheel halves snapped of course. Drill / tap no big deal. Finding original replacements is part of the frustrating fun if I have to go that route.

7FE3D0F4-3688-4C35-A010-79860AA7AE15.jpeg

Last edited:

River Rat Ron

Thats a cool little bike Bro, keep us posted.
I appreciate that Randy

Digging the look on that lil machine! Going original or custom on this bike?
Well LK my intention is all original. That will take some doing as I have not found parts anywhere. I don’t need many, might not need any if I can repair what I have. The thing is rusted up tighter than frog pu@&y.
Appreciate the banter guys!…..keeping me optimistic

River Rat Ron

If that's the original paint then it looks like enough to save!
All original except the old seat….once I get it torn down I’ll inventory what I need. I did notice that the same frame was used for the Kitty that had the bigger spoke wheels. For now I’m shooting for all original. My thinking is if you can keep it original why not. This being not that popular makes it pretty scarce.

Very cool bike, that seat works well on it! What are your plans for a carb?
Thank you kindly…Good catch on the carb, the guy I got this from ( his as a kid ) has the air cleaner, intake and carb somewhere in this barn I dug this out of. My intention is to find it and go thru the whole motor.
I’m guessing you may have one ? ;)

Last edited:

pomfish

Gotta love the honesty in the flyer;

"ALL MINI-BIKES ARE DELIVERED WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND"

But they would upgrade the 3HP to a 5HP for only $10 more, that would be a handful for a 80lb inexperienced kid!
Because the SASSY was the starter model, pretty sure most/all were bought with the 3HP

Helluva deal on Torque converter upgrades for $25 on the bigger models as well.
I had the top o the line SC-114 once, 4HP no converter.
Later,

Keith

River Rat Ron

Gotta love the honesty in the flyer;

"ALL MINI-BIKES ARE DELIVERED WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND"

But they would upgrade the 3HP to a 5HP for only $10 more, that would be a handful for a 80lb inexperienced kid!
Because the SASSY was the starter model, pretty sure most/all were bought with the 3HP

Helluva deal on Torque converter upgrades for $25 on the bigger models as well.
I had the top o the line SC-114 once, 4HP no converter.
Later,

Keith
Or that you could buy it for 67.95

Last edited:

markus

Well thank you for that….I’m all ears. Only reference I have is this.and his recollection. Can’t find the history of time these were imported from Taiwan nor am I any expert….

View attachment 296599 View attachment 296600
The tell is the engine, and you can get a date code off it, its the serial number on the tag, first digit is the last digit of the year the next digits are the day of that it was tagged and on its way to paint/decaling in the factory and then out the door. Unless something has been changed, there are 1974 model year parts on the engine. so this flyer shot you have is in THIS posting is correct as its the one for late 73, showing the 1974 models and prices........ sale ended 2 days before my first birthday 2-20-74 Note they went up like 20 bucks from 1972 in other flyer you showed.

All original except the old seat….once I get it torn down I’ll inventory what I need. I did notice that the same frame was used for the Kitty that had the bigger spoke wheels. For now I’m shooting for all original. My thinking is if you can keep it original why not. This being not that popular makes it pretty scarce.

Thank you kindly…Good catch on the carb, the guy I got this from ( his as a kid ) has the air cleaner, intake and carb somewhere in this barn I dug this out of. My intention is to find it and go thru the whole motor.
I’m guessing you may have one ? ;)
I would try to use the original if possible but you could find an intake and carb on eBay if needed.

River Rat Ron

The tell is the engine, and you can get a date code off it, its the serial number on the tag, first digit is the last digit of the year the next digits are the day of that it was tagged and on its way to paint/decaling in the factory and then out the door. Unless something has been changed, there are 1974 model year parts on the engine. so this flyer shot you have is in THIS posting is correct as its the one for late 73, showing the 1974 models and prices........ sale ended 2 days before my first birthday 2-20-74 Note they went up like 20 bucks from 1972 in other flyer you showed.
Really appreciate the info, learning more each day. I glanced at the tag mainly because it’s powdery like something dissolved part of it. Haven’t really messed with the motor, the rust and bad wheel has my focus. Ill look at that tag when I get home….thanks again…..I was 13 when that sale ended….yikes

I would try to use the original if possible but you could find an intake and carb on eBay if needed.
Exactly….I briefly looked on eBay for a carb. Buying carbs on eBay has been hit and miss for me. The intake I have not searched for. There is a scrap guy in town that people drop old mowers, tillers, etc… I have acquired motors or parts there. This will be a long project…I’ve learned to be patient. Appreciate your help….great people here!