Vintage 1971 Attex 300

#2
I ran into a little problem already. The bike I have has only 1 fork tube. I don't know what my chances are of finding another tube but looking at pictures online of other Attex 300's it looks like I may have some other options. If you look at the first picture; the front forks look the same as what came on a 71-75 Rupp mini bike. If you look at the second picture of an Attex 300 currently on Ebay; it has the same forks as the one I own. I was thinking that my other option could be to use the forks from a Coleman/Attex Sport Bike. All three bikes use the same frame with a couple of tabs added for the engine and exhaust for the Attex 300. I have included a picture of that too. I would love to stay with the original forks but that will depend on whether or not I can find another one. I took a picture of my fork tube also. It is currently frozen so I don't know the exact length yet but it measures 19-3/4" from the center of the axle hole to the end.
 

Attachments

#3
Couple of things I have noticed. The bracket that is welded to the frame to hold the back of the engine in place has a broken weld that will have to be re-welded. The frame under the gas tank has had some work done to it. I don't know if the frame cracked or broke and was repaired or what. I'm going to grind it down and try to see what happened.
 

Attachments

#4
I got all of my chrome ready to go but I can't send it off just yet, I still have to make a decision on the forks. I am hoping to find another fork tube or a set of forks while I still have a little time. In the mean time I started on the engine. The Attex 300 has a Saxonette engine with a "hop up kit" on it. My engine, as you can see in the pictures, has had its flywheel modified. Besides the large nut welded on it, it was also welded where the original nut went on to hold the flywheel in place so that means that the engine is pretty much done. I have a couple of spare Saxonette's, but they are all in really good shape so I didn't want to use them, fortunately I do have one that is frozen. The bottom is in really good shape just the jugg and piston. I am soaking it now in oil to see if I can get it free. If I can then I will remove that jugg and piston, clean up the jugg from the original engine and build a new engine. As you can see from the pictures the jugg and piston look very good. I should just be able to clean it up, crosshatch the jugg and install new rings. Just in case, I do have an NOS piston and rings somewhere around here, I just have to find it.
 

Attachments

#5
I couldn't get the jugg apart so I pulled another engine that I bought a couple of years ago that I forgot about. I actually had it in a box by the front door! Totally forgot about it. It came right apart and looks like it will clean up really nice. Now I have to find that NOS piston and get to work.
 

Attachments

#7
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I have been busy with school and getting things together for my two student teams who are competing. I got home tonight and sat down to relax with a cup of coffee and I suddenly realized that March was almost over and I hadn't done anything with my build off bike! I had a lot of trouble with the first engine so I pulled out a spare. No good, it was real bad on the inside. I bought another engine about a month ago just to have and I am sure glad that I did. I pulled it off the shelf and opened it up. It looked like new inside! I was very excited. Then, I saw it. A roller bearing was laying in the bottom of the case. It wasn't obvious that anything was wrong but we all know; if you find one bearing there are always more. I ended up tearing the entire engine down and finally found the problem. Easy fix but instead of a jug, piston, and new rings, this bike is going to get a fully restored and rebuilt engine. Luckily I have everything I need to do it (This is why we hoard, am I right?) Just a few pictures here but I will have more as I get it back together. I still need to get in gear and get some chrome plating done too. The budget only goes so far and I wanted to make sure there was enough for my students builds first. Until next time.
 

Attachments

#8
I don't know guys, I have been helping my students and I haven't been able to put the time in on mine. I also can't get my chrome plater to answer a phone or return a call. I also had to buy my wife a new truck this week.
 
#10
The remaining guys are pretty busy, so I am not surprised you had problems contacting him. At least you were able to show mama some love.:)
 
#12
Got a little bit more done on the engine tonight. My Uncle has a sandblast room in his shop and we have to replace the ventilation blower this week and then I will be able to get the frame in and sandblast it. Looks like the chrome is going to be the thing that holds me up maybe.
 

Attachments

#14
Saxonette looks great! Good chrome guys definitely have a waiting list.
I plan to ride this so I just cleaned up the exhaust and it cleaned up pretty decent. I decided not to get that rechromed but everything else is. I still have to put the stator in and put the head on and the engine will be just about ready. Frame and tank are next. Time is running fast!
 

Top