1971 BSA B50 mx engine found, a beauty!

Here is a couple of photos of my newest purchase.....This is a 1971 BSA mx 500cc single....we used to call these "thumpers"....Only this engine is special, it was built and raced by the motor builder "wizard" John A. Miller....John raced motorcycles in the 50's and graduated to building Grand Prix and Indy car engines for Dan Gurney and Al Unser (among others) before starting his own elite shop in Hawaii....This was his latest personal competition engine and was freshened up before going into mothballs years ago....flash into the future...John sadly passed away in 2014 and I purchased this from his widow....It is sitting on a stand he built for his beloved BSA engines.....the last photo is of John and Dan gurney going over a flow test.

Attachments

It is a bit fuzzy.....I am having some folks contact me on if it is for sale or not?.....It could be available to the right "sweet-talker" with an offer I can't refuse!

Reminds me of my old dirt bike days and the 441 Victors that virtually leaped from place to place because of that bigass piston thumping along. They were chrome/yellow and it took two men and a boy to kick start them. Nice pick up and you will do it proud.

Fred

Reminds me of my old dirt bike days and the 441 Victors that virtually leaped from place to place because of that bigass piston thumping along. They were chrome/yellow and it took two men and a boy to kick start them. Nice pick up and you will do it proud.

Fred
I have that exact memory of the 441. That thing would HURT you. Three of us, and one of the boys was (ahem) a little older than everyone else in the same grade. We'd get HIM to kick it. I've always want to get another one.

Nice score Frank.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Nice! An Ode to leaving stuff on your bench too long. Glad it went to a good new owner and not to the scrap man!

A finely and tastefully built and equipped minimalist Café Racer would be my choice if I had to mount the engine in a frame and run it, looks great just on the stand though. An epic score Frank.

John Miller, Dan gurney, Bobby Unser & son

Here is another great photo of John Miller with a few drivers you may recognize!....Indy 1972, relaxing in the infield.

Attachments

Here is an update on the BSA B50 engine by John Miller......I have been offered a chance to purchase John's 1968 Yamaha TT500 that he rode in several x-country events....complete bike, ready to race....SOOOO, to free funds up for this bike, I need to sell this (B50) engine......A rare opportunity to buy an engine with such history!....Price is 1500.00 + shipping/crating cost(s)....Let me know, I have this for sale locally.....Frank.