1971 Rupp Blackwidow 2012 Mini Bike Build Off - Vintage Class

Hello there guys,
This is my entry post for the build off.

I bought this a couple of years ago and never got to it due to the lack of me having a Dellorto carb, now two years later I am ready to get her done.

The person I bought it from had spray painted everything green even the tires, rims, sprockets. I got most of it off already just need to do the hard to sand parts. I believe it was a true Blackwidow as it came with 28 spoke rims, motorcross tires and the right serial code that a Blackwidow should have although theres no way to prove it.

I got it with a briggs and no torque convertor which I blame on the original engine throwing a rod due to high RPMs but who knows.

Pics of something to get things started off.

Ok so today I started working on the engine for my Blackwidow.

I will be going with a Tecumseh HS-50 as the rider engine but also will restore my Rupp Correct HS-40 down the line for originality purposes. I just feel 100 times better beating on the HS-50 and not on an Original Rupp Engine. Even If this bike gets fully restored I plan on rideing the crap out of it. I dont believe in trailer queens.

I am going to dress the HS-50 up to look just like the original engine as well. I will be putting a billet rod in it as well which also solidifed my choise of going with the HS-50 as the rider engine since Billet Rods are available. I already threw two rods this summer and messed up two Tecumseh HS-40 blocks.

I will try to have many pics and posts in order to make this more interesting. I always enjoy reading other members threads and the more posts and pictures the better for me.

Removing the piston and checking the inside on the engine.

The Rupp Correct HS-40

My Chrome Rear Fender that I dug out.

The "HS50"

So Today I started dressing up the HS-50 to look like a HS-40 and so far so good.
I had to change the bracket that holds the shroud in order for the HS-40 shroud to bolt on.
I also advanced the timing on the engine a bit to get more RPMs.

I will be reinforcing the shroud weak spots with this. This gets as hard as steel and is extremly easy to work with. If anyone has better advice please let me know.

Thanks Clayon.
I have not got much done, still buying some parts but almost got everything ready I'm just waiting for a nice day weatherwise to paint this.