1972 Arcit Cat Prowler

I go by Lynxer and I am a vintage snowmobile enthusiast. Always kind of liked mini bikes and being I am from Minnesota it had to be an Arcitc Cat. I was given this little Arctic Cat Prowler. It is in tough shape and there isn't much there, but I have the time and the ability to fix it up. I dont plan on making a show bike, but it would be nice to have it respectable. I have figured out that my bike came with a 50cc (47) Sachs Saxonette engine. I need an engine, but from what I have gathered these engines are expensive and hard to find. I have found one from a oldminibikes member for about 500.00 That is witht he pipe and all bolt it in and go. I like the sound of that, but I could rebuild one myself too. Are there any alternative engines I could run with out completly ruining the bike? Maybe someday I could run accross a saxonette and drop it in. So I would like to refrain from cutting and welding, but my bike is definitly not any prize and it was cheap :) free! Looking for some guidence.

I need to fix/get

Gas Tank
Engine/Drive Train
Brakes are pretty much locked
Brake Cables
Brake lever (found at black widow for 17.00)
Wheels have no chrome
Shocks have no chrome
Paint (code?)
Tail light

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Here are the before pictures! I will update as I go on!!!!

I have just been given a 1972 prowler and do not know where to start in its restoration. I want to make it look like new again, as well as run. As far as I know it ran fine the last time it was used, 25 years ago. But there is a common problem with the pull cord.

How did you do with your project? Was it a success?

I--have-a-1970-sss-cat-it-has-saxnet-engine-stock-it-still-has-all-partsand-paint-rope-startergone-nice-paint-seat-still-looks-goodi-i-like-it-just-don't-have-time-I-wood--sell-for-650