1972 Rupp Huslter restoration

Hi all.

This is my first attempt at restoring a vintage minibike... I mostly restore old radios and TV's, but these Rupps are so SWEET. I bought this at an auction and now I am addicted. It came with some Chinese motor on it. A 49cc thing. It actually did go pretty good with that motor on it. I bought a HS40 from an Ariens snow blower at a swap meet and made what I think is a pretty nice Rupp clone. I machined a 20 degree spacer to give the carburetor the correct tilt (can be seen in the photos) I have ordered a new replacement carb for it. I also installed new points, condenser and coil. I have already bought another basket case Rupp from craigslist too. I think I have the bug.... Seems like the engines and jackshafts are the hard parts to find. Here are some photo's of my progress. Any advice or constructive criticisms welcome.

Attachments

buckeye

Very nice.

You have any pics of just the spacer. You could sell those babies..

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
And I assume you aren't using the torque converter.

HI Buckeye,

I am trying to restore it as close to original as possible. I did get a complete Jack shaft for it. I need a clutch though. I saw that someone at some point was selling those spacers. I read old posts and that's how I got the idea to make the spacer. I blatantly copied it from pictures and info on old posts. In one thread they even gave pretty much the exact dimensions. If someone needed one I am not above helping them out.
IMG_0648.JPG

Some parts that have been media blasted and powder coated. Waiting on the Chrome powder coat so I can do the Mag wheels and brake drums ETC.. IMG_0649.JPG

Good luck on the build, keep us posted. Man that motor that was on the bike looks like the motor i have on my komatsu weed wacker. :laugh:
Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum. Nice project and looking good.:thumbsup: Its pretty easy to catch the bug.:laugh: Living in Mich, you could have 10 projects in no time.:laugh:

Looks good...I have a 72 Hustler on the back burner...If you are buying a new primary clutch use part # 219559A should save you $20.. same part as the more expensive one from the mini bike place...where are you at in MI?

Looks good...I have a 72 Hustler on the back burner...If you are buying a new primary clutch use part # 219559A should save you $20.. same part as the more expensive one from the mini bike place...where are you at in MI?
In the Thumb. Little place called Marlette. You might have heard of the Marlette trailers. I chrome powder coated up some of the parts and finished the main frame... Maybe in a few days I can start some assembly :) Thanks for the clutch info.

IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG

I used to hunt the north east corner of 46 & 53... it but I think they built on it not to long ago. Also worked with a guy named Burl that lived up that way...

Not much there now either.. My wife is from here. I actually am from Webberville, MI but we lived in Iowa for 20+ years, bought a house and moved back to MI 2 years ago. I missed a lot of things about Michigan and a lot of things I didn't miss.. It's great being in Michigan for the fact that this is where the motor city is and you can find tons of stuff in MI that is very hard to find in other states, but living expenses are much higher then Iowa.

Where are you at in Mi?

Sterling heights ...one of the few streets that are not in a subdivision.... I have a deer/sled camp in kalkaska
I just drove there a couple days ago. That's where I got a basket case rupp from.. It appears to have a 71 or up frame, forks and suspension (although the shocks are wrong). It has a super nice gas tank and 10" spokes (1970)... not sure what I am going to do with this one.. The frame does not have a stopper on the front of it for the forks, but it has the bigger engine mount on the bottom. Any idea the exact year?

No not yet looking for a set of forks for the frame cuz the forks that where on it where ruttman and I got a ruttman Minibike and the forks where toast on it and the frame I got from you was a European made grand Prix so still looking for forks for it.

IMG_0775.JPG IMG_0776.JPG IMG_0777.JPG

Getting ever closer. Just need a fender, Paint, covers and some misc. I took it out for a preliminary spin today and I must say I was impressed. It carried my 200 lbs up to around 30 Mph no problem..