1972 Tri-cat?

Hey guys, im new here and i have been looking for a mini bike, and thought i would show you what i ended up buying on the local craigslist for $300. The seller said that its a 1972 tri-cat and i was wondering if anyone else has heard of one of these. when i was searching around, i found the snowco tri scat, but it doesnt look like that. then i found the tri sport but it doesnt look like that one. Im just wondering if anyone has information on this trike. He said it has a 5hp briggs and stratton, and i was wondering if anyone can verify if this is true. Anyways, ive included a couple of pictures

DrewDay: You got a bargain, that is a Tri Cat made by the H P Muskin company the makers of the cat line of mini bikes. They also made a little go kart called a Dune Cat the Muskin Co also made above ground swimming pools and lots of other things. The distributor I got parts from was in Colton, California . There is one that has been offered on Craigslist quite a few times in Portland, Oregon for around $600.00 I would stick with the Briggs 5 HP engine should be a kick to drive. I have been triking for almost 40 years.
Steve :scooter:
PS : Welcome to the OldMiniBikes

Hey Welcome to the forum. Steve gave you the right info. He's the Trike man around here and I agree you got yourself a lot of bike for the $$ it looks really nice!
Here is a little for you to look at. And again welcome, your vintage trike is welcome here any day.

Thanks for the welcome and also the information Steve, its good to finally know that info, i forgot to mention, this thing is in awesome running condition. I took it on its maiden voyage about 5 minutes after getting it out of our truck, and it runs nice. Im a little on the tall side at 6' 4", and had the idea of mounting pegs off of the front axle, for my feet to be at so i could get a little more room. I fit but also thought it would look cool with those pegs. Anybody ever done this?

Hah, yep. ive got a 61 econoline that i had given to me by the original owners grandson. Its gonna be my first car...or van? ha. If interested theres more info on my econo in my blog Poochie The 61 Econoline BTW Its so cool to see those old pamphlets on my trike

DrewDay : About your Poochie make sure you improve the brakes they never were the best and lowering the van is a good move . I had a Cousin who rolled one making a hard right turn. Good luck with your projects. Steve :scooter:

Thanks for the welcome and also the information Steve, its good to finally know that info, i forgot to mention, this thing is in awesome running condition. I took it on its maiden voyage about 5 minutes after getting it out of our truck, and it runs nice. Im a little on the tall side at 6' 4", and had the idea of mounting pegs off of the front axle, for my feet to be at so i could get a little more room. I fit but also thought it would look cool with those pegs. Anybody ever done this?
One of the trikes actually came like that. I forget witch one but if I remember I'll post a photo. I remember when I read the review how they commented on how it was a little hard to get used too.

Check the van real close behind the steering gear box. I would even remove it to inspect the pad that it mounts too. It's only 3 bolts, and you dont have to pull the shaft or the pittman arm. Just remove the bolts and swing it out of the way enough to look in behind it. They where notorious for literally braking the frame and the gear box would rip off. Many people where killed in them because off that, even when they where fairly new.

DrewDay : All the Tri-Sports had foot pegs that were mounted to the front end. And they even made foot buckets out of aluminum the bolted on. I never had any of them on any of my many Tri-Sports. Take a look at my photo section lots of tri-Sports there.

I'm looking at my color brochure for that. looks like you have a model R8503 finished in Apricot. It was also available in Bright Silver-Blue metal flake. A model R8507 was available same as yours but with smaller rear tires and no hubcaps. My brochure shows a different style decal on the fork. No year is given. Your missing a black snap in pleated seat cover. A ski was an option. They also made a 3hp Tecumseh model called the BobCat . A little different style fiberglass body. Nice machine.

On my econoline ive already pulled the steering box and rebuilt it and that piece didnt look too tweeked, but ill be safe when re installing it, and im installing a front disk brake kit to help with the safety, thanks for the info guys. I do need to replace that black snap in seat cover, any ideas?

As for as the seat upholstery it would be best just take it to a auto or boat upholstery shop and let them do their thing. If you don't have a pattern then it's up to the pro and a couple of supporting pictures to give them the basic guideline. I had a pattern for my blue street legal Tri-Sport Trike and it cost me $125.00 and that was 5 or 6 years ago.

I might have a parts list for the TriCat I'll dig it up scan it and post it within the next few days:thumbsup: Awesome Score
What ever you do don't screw up that decal on the front fork

Bayareaburrito- that is AWESOME, thank you so much for those drawings. i know that theyre defiantely gonna help me. Sorry for not posting for awhile. Just been recovering from having my wsdom teeth pulled:thumbdown: Something funny is my UPS guy saw the trike in the garage the other day and told me about how his grandpa had one on the farm when he was a kid and all the kids used to ride it and no matter how hard they tried it would not flip :eek:ut: The recoil starter spring broke so i just got that part and plan on installing it today or tomorrow.

Hi Drew: Now tell me how much fun it is to go triking ? Your Tri-Cat sure came out nice and I have always liked the Orange color. I my day they called it " Competition Orange "

The triking is fun, but ive realized im gonna need to get a vintage mini bike with a spring in the rear to ride the rocks/hills on my property comfortably. Definately gonna keep the trike though for riding the flat areas. Its a VERY fun cruiser :wink:

The triking is fun, but ive realized im gonna need to get a vintage mini bike with a spring in the rear to ride the rocks/hills on my property comfortably. Definately gonna keep the trike though for riding the flat areas. Its a VERY fun cruiser :wink:
I think just a big thick soft seat would make it 20x better than the way you're riding it now(assuming you still have little to no seat shown in your pictures) :thumbsup: