1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters

wjustice

The alsportatv.net site has been down for a while. They had a PDF file showing how they were converting to a spring tensioner.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The alsportatv.net site has been down for a while. They had a PDF file showing how they were converting to a spring tensioner.

I tried to upload a copy but the forum won't let me upload a PDF file for some reason. I'm wondering if was aftermarket or a factory part.

If you look at the pic, you can see where the tensioner lever is rubbing against the chain. Luckily it's a simple fix.

Shawn

Attachments

I'm pretty sure it had an idler sprocket to adjust the chain not a spring loaded tensioner.
Hey Gumpit how have you been? Thanks for the pics. :)

The original idler / tensioner sprocket was either missing or worn and so IIRC, Outcry couldn't find a replacement so he opted for the conversion.

Shawn

Quick question, after thinking about it, I realized I tightened the bearing lock collars in the direction of axle travel in stead of the opposite way.
Will it hurt anything? They are tight and the set screws are nice and tight with blue thread lock.

Thanks,
Shawn

Just when I thought my RTS was ready for a test put around the yard, I find myself again going 15 yards back and punting! :mad2:
I tweeked the throttle cable assy. and adjusted the chain tensioner lever to clear the chain. I still need to find my brake parts but I decided to start it and put it around my yard. I got the engine running and it ran great for the first few seconds and then it started making a weird metal to metal clanking noise from what sounded like the TAV driver and shut off. And now, it will not start back up no matter how much I ware myself out pulling it over and over and over and over again! I looked everything over and I could not find any problems. It's got excellent compression, spark, good fuel and the carb is as clean as a whistle no stuck floats or inlet needle. The only thing it will do now is make pop once or twice like it wants to start but that's it. I even removed the crankcase drain bolts, propped up the front wheel and pulled it over several times thinking it was flooded but the crankcase was dry. So far this RTS has been nothing but one problem after another and an even bigger money pit! If I can't figure out something simple to get it running again, I'm going to be selling it only for what I have into it cost and parts wise. No labor or time costs. Outcry said he may want it back so he'll get first dibs. If he doesn't take it. I'll list it here in the for sale section.

Shawn

Last edited:
Hey guy's
How is everyone? I know I haven't logged on in a while. I've been dealing with some health problems from a prior spinal injury so I haven't been able to work on the RTS since the last post. However. I'm still not giving up on it. I'll post back when I am able to get back at it.

Shawn

wjustice

Yeah it happens, I've had things I want to do with mine but life has been getting in the way. My daughter moved back in, lots of auto work, my dad in hospital, etc. I'll get it done and so will you , as long as you still have interest in it.

Yeah it happens, I've had things I want to do with mine but life has been getting in the way. My daughter moved back in, lots of auto work, my dad in hospital, etc. I'll get it done and so will you , as long as you still have interest in it.

Good to hear from you again.
Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he will be well soon.
So far I haven't lost any interest in the RTS. It's gonna get finished and I'm gonna ride it! Oh yes I will. LOL

Shawn

Hi Robert,

You mentioned being a dealer back in the day. I purchased a 74 in 1978 here in Florida. I kept it all these years and I am now rebuilding for a third time. The second time was to put a regular motorcycle engine on (400HP) and now I am putting a 600 kawi ninja. I am beefing up and having of course to redo rear end/axle etc. I last had it titled in Illinois for the street. I don't remember them having like a vin plate. I believe mine had the numbers stamped into a part of the framing pipe over the rear and I cut it off and misplaced it after all these years. But, I thought that if they ever did make a plate it would be cool to make a similar one to put on this.
What's your thoughts please?

Hi Robert,

You mentioned being a dealer back in the day. I purchased a 74 in 1978 here in Florida. I kept it all these years and I am now rebuilding for a third time. The second time was to put a regular motorcycle engine on (400HP) and now I am putting a 600 kawi ninja. I am beefing up and having of course to redo rear end/axle etc. I last had it titled in Illinois for the street. I don't remember them having like a vin plate. I believe mine had the numbers stamped into a part of the framing pipe over the rear and I cut it off and misplaced it after all these years. But, I thought that if they ever did make a plate it would be cool to make a similar one to put on this.
What's your thoughts please?
Did you check the neck tube for the vin stamped in it?

The first of the three pics in your post looks just like mine that I bought in 78. I ordered it out of a catalog here in Florida. Could you tell me what model that is?
Thanks

Actually, my xwife back in 1982 wrecked it and I had to replace the front end. That is when I changed it and disposed of the tube! Thanks. That clears up a lot. My title has a vin# so I am just creating a plate that I am going to rivit to the front end where it originally was.

My model exactly is still in the air for me, but I am making quite a modification. I am basically making a almost completely new trike but for now, I will just leave it registered as an 74 Alsport. I hope to post photos of build soon.

Nice to talk to you. I was born in Chicago and ran small engine shops, lawn mower shops, so always been into mechanics, speeding down the strips! I like Old chevy trucks too. Had a 59 that I loved.

But I always loved this trike and even more when I made it able to go the speed of sound, LOL.

Thanks!