1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
Just a quick update. My Mikuni VM conversion kit will be shipping out this week and hopefully I should have it by next Wednesday. They had to order a new throttle cable to complete the kit first.
Also, I sold the Tillotson plus the cost of a rebuild kit so I'm in the process of tearing it down so I can soak the carb body and other essential pieces. Once it's done, I'll try it on the Trike to make sure it's working properly and I will post video as well.

Shawn

wjustice

To use a mikuni you have to flip the intake manifold over. Then you will have clearance issues with the shock crossbar. I have pic of what I did in my RTS album.

To use a mikuni you have to flip the intake manifold over. Then you will have clearance issues with the shock crossbar. I have pic of what I did in my RTS album.
Thanks for the heads up on the intake. As for clearance problems, outcry cut out part of the cross bar to clear the Mikuni and he welded a small half hoop to tie the cross bar back together. There is pic somewhere here in the thread that shows the cross bar mod. I'll find it and repost it.
Thank again,
Shawn

Well something tells me that the Mikuni conversion may not help with this engine. I rebuilt the Tillotson and I put it on the Trike so I could make sure the carb is working properly before giving it to the guy that bought it. It's delivering fuel like it should, it's got what feels like great compression, it's got spark, fuel is getting to the plugs but not flooding and it still won't start. Not even a pop! It's a 2 stroke, its got fuel/ air, spark, and compression. It should run! So I'm thinking it's either a timing problem, no spark under compression or a problem in the ignition system itself such as points maybe. Or possibly a clogged exhaust or maybe not enough compression? It was getting late so I decided to call it a day.
I just hope this engine isn't a lost cause!!

Shawn

Last edited:
I got my Mikuni Conversion Kit....

Just a quick update, After a little bit of a shipping delay, I just received my Mikuni VM conversion kit from Pat's Small Engines. It's really nice kit too. It came with a pump, throttle and choke cables, although I need to extend them using ferrell and stop kits. But I can at least install it and throttle it by hand just to get the carb adjusted.
So keep your fingers crossed that it does the trick! If all goes well, I'm going to enter it in a car and bike show at a local charity event.

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

I had lots of trouble with mine and it all went away when i installed the mikuni. Give the pump enough time to get fuel into the bowl and you should be good.

I had lots of trouble with mine and it all went away when i installed the mikuni. Give the pump enough time to get fuel into the bowl and you should be good.
Thanks Justice. :thumbsup:

Next question,
How do I properly adjust the choke cable on the Mikuni? Also do you have any pics or video? I have the cable installed but I can't figure out the proper adjustment and I don't want to mess anything up. I tried searching on YouTube but there are absolutely NO videos to be found on how to install and adjust a choke cable on a Mikuni VM carb! :detective: I called Pat's Small Engine and talked to one of their techs and he couldn't explain it but he said if it's not installed correctly, it could damage the choke plunger. :scared:

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

I dont think it would damage the plunger. Pretty much, you just want a little slack when its off. You want as much movement as possible when its on but allow it to completely seat when off.
And it really isnt a choke as most people know them. Its a starter circuit. Its a separate circuit that adds fuel to aid starting. Just a little different then a butterfly plate.

I dont think it would damage the plunger. Pretty much, you just want a little slack when its off. You want as much movement as possible when its on but allow it to completely seat when off.
And it really isnt a choke as most people know them. Its a starter circuit. Its a separate circuit that adds fuel to aid starting. Just a little different then a butterfly plate.
Thanks Justice. I think I have it set right. I basically just guessed at it. lol
I tried to install the carb but the flange mounting holes are way too small. I was gonna drill them out but the bit I needed was the one bit that was missing from my set that I never replaced. So I'll pick one up tomorrow and try again. Stay tuned!

Shawn

Last edited:
It lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoooo hoooooo! She lives!!! I installed the Mikuni and it wouldn't run. It acted like it was either flooding out or not firing under compression. So I decided to remove the crankcase drain bolts and it was full of fuel. I drained crankcase, put plugs back in, pulled it once it popped, pulled it again and it fired right up!! It was such a sweet sound! It now starts first pull and has instant throttle response. Now I just need to get the brakes sorted out and she'll be ready to tear up some dirt!!

I'll post a video link as soon as I upload it to YouTube.

Shawn

Thats great you got it going. My Phase III sat for a while last year and I couldn't get it going until I emptied the crank from the oil and gas in there and it started on the second pull. Looking forward to the video.

Trent

wjustice

Cool, once you get the throttle cable and brakes functional you can ride. Then you can check the plugs and get an idea of jetting. The "mixture" screw you were turning is and air screw. The main jet mixture has to be changed through the bottom of the carb.

I made my check list of things to finish.
1. Get brakes sorted out.
2. Make or buy a new throttle cable.
3. Fabricate a mounting bracket for the fuel tank and fuel pump.
4. Plumb the fuel lines.
5. Drop the rear axle assy. for access to R&R broken diff bolt.
6. Install drive chain.
7. Ride!
8. Monitor engine temps and plugs to see if the Mikuni needs to be re-jetted.

I'm hoping to get the brakes done with in the next couple of weeks.
Also, what would a safe max temp be for the JLO? And finally, where is the best place to buy brake parts and a new or custom made throttle cable if needed? I've checked all of the local bicycle, motorcycle and scooter shops in my area and no one sells bulk or makes custom cables.

Shawn

Last edited:
Steve beat me to it....Flanders lol
That's awesome it has come to life ! All those engines I picked up were packed away so nicely I knew it couldn't be a internal engine issue ,,at least I was praying haha. The ones that I kept just needed points cleaned and maybe a fuel pump to bring them to life.That is gonna be one fast machine once you hit the pavement with it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link Steve. :thumbsup: Btw, do you have any more pics of the RTS in your avitar? I tried to view the gallery in your profile, but it say's the gallery is empty.

Shawn

Steve beat me to it....Flanders lol
That's awesome it has come to life ! All those engines I picked up were packed away so nicely I knew it couldn't be a internal engine issue ,,at least I was praying haha. The ones that I kept just needed points cleaned and maybe a fuel pump to bring them to life.That is gonna be one fast machine once you hit the pavement with it :thumbsup:
Thanks amigos. :thumbsup: Yeah it's a nice engine. It'll idle forever and throttle up without bogging down. And with the muffler, it's quieter than my neighbors quad. I wouldn't mind mounting some drag slicks on it sometime and taking to the local drag strip to see what it would do. :scooter:

Shawn