1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
Had to modify the new cup to fit like the old. Will do the sane to the cup I purchase tomorrow.

And curiousity got the best of me so I took a peek in the stock locked up Kohler 340....and......what the heck!!! Sand lol!!!!

wjustice

Thats the intake right? Yeah sorry but that crank is gonna be junk. Center bearings will be bad. Lift the jugs and see if the pistons are stuck. Cranks come up on ebay if you watch. Thats how I got mine any 295/340 2ax or 2fa engine will work. John Deere spitfires used the 340 2fa. Pistons for the 2fa are he same too. Ooh you"re changing the engine so forget what I just said.

Lol yes sir wjustice. We4amigos is selling me a Rockwell jlo 340 twin to transplant on the old girl.

I can't imagine what this thing will be like with 30hp ripping around the yard lol!!

That would be insane. I have much future plans for mine already. I have a friend who does a lot on 2 strokes and we've somewhat worked a deal on him building me twin pipes for the 340 that he guarantees will crack 50hp on his engine dyno.

But I imagine the 30hp will keep my knuckles white rustling around the yard at entirely ridiculous speeds lol!

wjustice

The sensation of speed is higher when you are closer to the ground like these trikes. And the speed they can attain in just a couple hundred feet will surprise you

I'm inpatiently waiting for that experience. The trike I'm building is going to be about as low as the Trisport but will probably be a 10 or 13hp 4 stroke for the off idle torque.

How long does a engine have to sit out to get that much crap in it ? That's just insane lol
Sorry you found that,but you were junking it anyhow....boat anchor time.

Ok so no dice today on progress. Still waiting on my new U joint cup ( yoke ) to come in to the local tractor supply. Once its in I'll assemble the roller once again.
Good news is that my engine, shocks, and other misc parts are in the mail and should be here this week. Unfortunately I have drill this weekend ( decided after 10 years active to do the national guard bit to keep my retirement dream alive ) So I won't get anything substantial done with the parts until Monday if I have time then.
I'll try and keep my progress moving and hoping you guys help with the motivation. I get easily sidetracked with my list of stuff to do. Between a full time job, national guard, my daughter, another baby due in feb, full time college student, and customer bikes I currently have in the shop I have limited time to work on the trike.......

But with that being said I will continue to put it together without fail and I will keep this updated almost daily and add pics :D

Thanks

This Thursday will be like Christmas when your packages arrive :thumbsup:
I know you think you haven't made much progress,but you're knockin' it out one thing at a time. You'll be there behind the handlebars in no time!!

Thanks guys I will definitely stay active on the updates. I try to make the time to at least get some progress done each day so it never really sits long enough to collect dust lol.
Hopefully the yoke comes in today or tomorrow so I can at least put it back to a roller before I head over to fort bragg for the weekend.
And of course I'll have some pictures of the parts coming in thursday :D Thanks to we4amigos for the parts and the really awesome pricing.

Well I didn't get any real progress done but I did get in a lot of the parts I needed.
Its really just brutally cold for this area right now ( wind chill down to -2 at times ) so I just haven't found the motivation to get out and take pictures lol.

I got in the engine...shocks...seat pads and head rest....hub caps....jackshaft...and the u joint cup I needed.

Took the cup in with me and got it drilled and tapped at work.

I'm at drill all weekend but I've dedicated Monday for assembly of the roller...media blasting....por 15 coating in the bad areas and primer on the rest.

Expect an update and lots of gloating pictures Monday :)

It seems like you are doing really good. You have a lot of the parts you need and your on your way to build a nice trike. I know its hard to get motivated in the winter, it was -35 here last night and it might get up to -28 today. A little cold to work on anything , LOL unless you have a heated shop. Just keep working away at it and you will get it done. How did you make out with the front wheel? did you have any luck finding one or parts to fix it?

I'm starting from scratch on the front wheel. Found a good deal on a set of db30 wheels on the site here. Got those shipped to me for 55 bucks so score there.
I plan to remove the rear sprocket and use the wider rear wheel on the front of the trike. I'll get the 35mm OD 5/8" ID wheel bearings and run a 5/8" 10" axle with 5/8" ID 3/4" ID brass fitting for the forks and two 5/8" collars to keep the wheel where I need it.

The other front wheel from the db30 set will go on a trike I'm building where I only have 4.5 inches from inside fork to inside fork.

I've got a massive parts list to get from this site that totals a little over 100 bucks in little odds and ends.

By the end of the month I should have that ordered as well as the rest of the parts I need to finish besides the rear brakes.

wjustice

I have a original SL front axle and a brake caliper from my RTS that may be the same as yours. Maybe we can make a trade if you're interested. Caliper came off my RTS when i got it. Never used or tested it. Axle is good, one side nut has been welded on.