1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
I just spoke to Josh and it turns out, he had not serviced the diff. So I'll need to do that when I replace the broken bolt.
My question is, what is the recommended lube for it and where can I buy it?

Thanks,
Shawn

Bentonite. Any small tractor/mower supply can get it. About $25 or so for 32oz. Even amazon has it i think. You only need like 3.2oz.
Thanks Justice. :thumbsup: Also, since I plan on sticking around the forum for a while, how do I become a supporting member? and what does it cost?

Shawn

Thanks Justice. I'll look for the link.

While making some cardboard templates a few minutes ago for the fuel tank and pump mounts, I noticed the left rear brake disc is straight up and down | and the right disc is bent like this / so I'll have to figure that out when I pull the diff. Hopefully it's fixable without having to replace it.

Shawn

I found a local shop that has Bentonite so I'll be picking some up this weekend. I also dropped off the templates for the fuel tank and pump mounts to my uncle this morning so he can fabricate them. He's a mechanic at a golf cart repair shop and he's pretty slammed with work so it will probably be about a week or so before he is able to get to it. Which is fine as I am at the point of needing and ordering ordering parts anyway. While I was there, I snapped a pic of his go kart that he scratch built 20+ years ago. It's a fun fast kart and has enough torque to pull the front wheels off the ground.(Wheel stands with a light enough rider)
Me always being a big guy, It would snap me back and the front end would get really light! In the dirt, it would throw some crazy rooster tails. :punk: It's powered by a Honda (IIRC) GX200, a TAV clutch, live axle and j.s. although I'm not sure what the ratios are. The Honda still runs great but the plastic fan blew apart when he started it last week and the kart itself needs a little tlc as it hasn't been used in a while so brought it to the shop to freshen it up. He works on pretty much everything there from diesel rigs to weed eaters and a customer brought in a mini bike with very little use a little over a year ago that needed had a junk engine but the customer abandoned it. His boss told him he could have it so he installed a new H.F. Predator 212 and has been having a blast with it. I'll get some pics of it when I pick up my mounting brackets.

Shawn

Attachments

Last edited:
Since one of the brake discs are bent, I found and ordered what looks to be an N.O.S. pair that I found on E-Bay for $50.00 w/ free shipping.
I'll keep the old ones as spares if I can straighten out the bent disc.

Shawn

I discovered a new lawn mower shop.

Hello all,
While calling around to some of the local mower repair shops to find some Bentonite grease, (which no one had but could get for $25.00 +tax) I found a cool little out of the way shop that had a couple of tubes of Tecumseh Bentonite grease in stock. Best part is, he sold me a two quart tube for $20.00 out the door and he even hooked me up with contact info for a local retired guy who owns a small engine / mower salvage yard. Spoke to him and he has spare diffs, TAV clutches and maybe even some mini bike and go kart parts. :thumbsup:

Also, an update on the RTS, I got my new brake disc's but I'm still waiting on parts for a throttle cable and I may have found some brakes.

I'll update everyone when the parts arrive.

Shawn

Another Update,
My diff bolts today and I'll have my new throttle cable parts tomorrow. I also have a complete working set of brakes coming too. Yes they are the stock brakes. But! They were free and hopefully will be better than nothing until I can afford the expensive Willwood calipers.
Once I get the brake parts in and I pick up the fuel tank and pump up from my uncle, I should have everything needed to start riding!
I just need everyone to wish me luck that the diff comes out easily and that I won't need any new bearings or other parts.

Shawn

Willwood are great parts but to save some money, try Enginetics/MCP brakes. Good stuff and cheaper then willwood.
Thanks Justice. :thumbsup: They look easier to mount and setup than the Willwood's too. Unfortunately, they are still a little more than I can afford at the moment.

I wonder what makes those calipers so expensive. :confused: I've seen calipers for a Corvette a lot cheaper! LOL although they were white box reman. But still a lot cheaper!

One more question, what brake fluid should I use? I remember reading somewhere that DOT-5 was used and then I read somewhere that they used standard DOT-3.

Thanks again,
Shawn

I got my throttle parts in today. If the weather is good tomorrow and if my idea works, I'll have a working throttle and I will post pics of the installation and post links to the parts for anyone that can use them. Also, according to the tracking number, my brakes should be here Wednesday. So I'm gonna try to get caught up with work so I can take off Thursday and Friday to get drive train done and hopefully, a test ride on Friday as I have to setup and run a light show this weekend.

Shawn

Some good news, I have everything to complete the trike! Bad news is, I haven't been able to work on it as we've had some bad weather here lately so my yard is now a spongy wet humid mosquito haven and my small tin shed has just enough room to fit the trike and close the doors. So I am going to have to wait till the ground dries up. Oh well, it'll get done eventually.

Shawn

Still nothing new to report. But I thought I'd post a couple pics of my light show on Friday night. We had some horrible weather along with a few tornadoes in the area on Saturday which caused the event to get cancelled that afternoon about an hour after it started

Shawn

Attachments

Last edited: